Discussion on 'Converting existing mods to the EE engine'

jastey

And you are telling me this, because...? The discussion started with the OUTER_SPRINT variables for the %tutu_prologue% and %tutu_prologue_reset% not being what they need to be if used like I use it in my code example for managing the journal entries if using the same code for all 4 BG1 games.

And you are telling me this, because...? The discussion started with the OUTER_SPRINT variables for ... not being what they need to be if used like I use it in my code example for managing the journal entries if using the same code for all 4 BG1 games.
Because you failed to notice the comment about the code being part of the BGT implementation !!! Not Tutu or the BGEE... and because you said that the OUTER_SPRINT wouldn't work on a .d file. So you won't put it there, but to the script controlling everything.

I might be insane to you, but it's only cause I see it more clearly... with my eyes and all that cheese.

Jarno, how is the dialogue firing system relevant in any way to Jastey's question?

I'm trying to follow your chain of reasoning - do you suggest that Jastey create an individual OUTER_SPRINT variable for the chapter instead of using the (corrected) libraries already created for cross-platform code? If I've misunderstood, please explain.

Because you failed to notice the comment about the code being part of the BGT implementation !!! Not Tutu or the BGEE...
Then explain which code is part of what BGT-installation, please, unless we defined what you are referring to, I cannot comment.

and because you said that the OUTER_SPRINT wouldn't work on a .d file.
Wrong. I use OUTER_SPRINTs in .d, and never stated they wouldn't work. Re-read my comments carefully, I even gave example code taken out of a .d-file!

So you won't put it there, but to the script controlling everything.
Again, wrong. I never stated such a thing, that is you misunderstanding whatevery I said.

*You* on the other hand said that "GAME_IS" can be used in a .d-file, and *that* is not possible. Inside .d-files, you have to use OUTER_SPRINT variables to account for some differences of the different BG1 games, and for some, you need to put things in separate files (e.g. to account for the additional dialogue state BGT gives to Thalantyr, or the BG:EE NPCs talking in interjections).

I might be insane to you, but it's only cause I see it more clearly... with my eyes and all that cheese.
Not sure whether this remark is intended to be ironically, but right now, all you see more clearly is in your head, mixed with a lot of misunderstanding and wrong assumptions on your part.
Because you failed to notice the comment about the code being part of the BGT implementation !!! Not Tutu or the BGEE...
Then explain which code is part of what BGT-installation, please, unless we defined what you are referring to, I cannot comment.
This, edited picture from the post of yours:

2jflnqq.jpg

I'm trying to follow your chain of reasoning - do you suggest that Jastey create an individual OUTER_SPRINT variable for the chapter instead of using the (corrected) libraries already created for cross-platform code? If I've misunderstood, please explain.
There's a need to redefine all the chapter variables in the game_is bgt function. Maybe I didn't ... but the intention was to show that.
There's a need to redefine all the chapter variables in the game_is bgt function. Maybe I didn't ... but the intention was to show that.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

But, using OUTER_PRINT and (accurate, predefined) libraries will work everywhere, including .d files, and apparently GAME_IS won't. Interesting idea, though.

Jarno: It states "/* BGT Chapters */" in all the xxx_cpmvars.tpa's, sorry this confused you.

What I posted and you quoted as picture is copyed and pasted from the bgee_cpmvars.tpa CamDawg attached to the first post - the tpa with the definition of OUTER_SPRINT variables for BG:EE.

There exist similar ones for Tutu, for BGT, and for BG1 vanilla. All have a sections called "/* BGT Chapters */". EDIT: or maybe not, and it's just an oversight and this should read BG:EE instead in this tpa.

For use upon installation, all of these EDIT: the corresponding _cpmvars.tpa only is are loaded, dependent on the game, by calling them in the tp2 via GAME_IS.

The one CamDawg attached in this thread and I am referring to is the one for BG:EE.

GAME_IS cannot be used inside a .d-file.

I think we are meaning the same things, actually.

CamDawg: Another correction for the attached g3_bgee_cpmvars.tpa from the first post.

This:

/* tp2, d, and baf parsing variables */

(...)

OUTER_SPRINT "bgdreams" "BG1Dream"

should be:

/* tp2, d, and baf parsing variables */

(...)

OUTER_SPRINT "bgdreams" "Dream"

And I am not sure about the numbers for the dreams ("bgdream1" to "bgdream6"), as it is set to "7" for the last dream in BG:EE?

And another find: The variable "NashkelCarnival_ArmorTent" uses a capitalized "R", but all other tpas (Tutu, BG, BGT) do not (this goes to Thimblerig, thank you for spotting this!).

So, this:

OUTER_SPRINT "NashkelCarnival_ARmorTent" "AR4901"

Should be:

OUTER_SPRINT "NashkelCarnival_ArmorTent" "AR4901"

Um, some bug-spotting. This line in the bgee_cpmvars.tpa

OUTER_SPRINT "NashkelCarnival_ARmorTent" "AR4901"

That line in all of the other cpmvars files doesn't have a capital R in "ArmorTent"

(Thanks for all the hard work you did in putting all this together. I get headaches just thinking about it.)

EDIT: Never mind, bug already posted.

This topic should be stickied.

Any how there have been changes in EFF locations in regards to items in EE version of the games. In the original games the EFF usage was under Global Effects for such things like Hit/Damage against Mask_Evil for example. In EE those EFF location is now under Abilities and old items made from BG2 will cause you character to take damage instead. Which is fine and dandy, just change the EFF location. But how does changing the EFF location effect a game like the original BG2?

I did some poking around other conversion tutorials, but I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly - are these the correct parameters between vanilla and EE portraits?

// Original Portraits
Encoding: 8-bit bitmap (.bmp)
Small: 38 x 60
Large: 110 x 170 (24-bit?)
// Extended Edition Portraits
Encoding: 24-bit bitmap (.bmp)
Small: 54 x 84
Medium: 169 x 266
Large: 210 x 330
Alternatively:
Medium, Large (automated resize): min 169 x 266, optimal 210 x 330, largest poss. width 1024

Archived