Android GUI

qnestor

Hello Again,

As agreed, a setup GUI would prove helpful and I was looking into it. Here's is the first draft:

Main screen:

1) instructions

2) Activate game (setup config file)

setup window name, game path and gametype

3) Config

setup screen resolution and the rest of config file options

4) bug/errors

5) about

6) Go! button

Activate screen:

It requires a 3rd party explorer (right now only ES file explorer) to get the game path. The idea behind 'verify' is to check if the folder structure is fine, and stuff like corrupt cache. My feeling is that a couple of crashes when attempting to run the game is making gemrb an instant uninstall, so the more that can be done prior to game execution the better

You may have a look in here:

If you could please tell me:

Worth going forward?

What should and what should not be there?

Also I noticed that the version I build is totally different from the one I can get in Gplay. For instance, this built version crashes when you quit the loaded game, it's always set to keep 4:3 ratio and most importantly:

I don't have the menu "Change device configuration" that I have in Gplay's version. Can I please have its code?

I would suggest to have that change device configuration menu in this GUI instead, and I'd be glad to put it in if I get the code.

I'll be updating my repository based on what is decided here. Hope it helps

I don't have the menu "Change device configuration" that I have in Gplay's version. Can I please have its code?

we don't have it. anything on gplay wasn't done by us. it requires a heavily modified libSDL that we dont maintain or support in any way. The options available in that menu are likely out dated with SDL 2 and if/when we get opengl support it will be moot.

go ahead and send us a pull request with your work on github and I'll merge it in to the main branch.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, it will help a bunch of people.

looks like a great start, thanks. Here are some optimisations:

- default gametype to auto (it works most of the time; the rest is for instructions)

- put iwd gametype in brackets (most people have iwd:how and they're not compatible)

- create separate configs for each game user meddles with, so they can then easily pick what to run (eg. by shortcut icons on the main screen)

- more metro-ish layout, so the buttons can be bigger

That device stuff was internal to the unofficial sdl1 port we used before (afaik). It's still on github (pelya sdl), but it's not clear if those bits can be extracted easily. It was recently ported to sdl2 too, but nobody checked if fully.

Great idea with the verify gamedir button! I don't understand why you need a separate explorer though — does android really not come with a filepicker by default?

I couldn't quite make out the video, but it looks like a nice start, a good way to launch multiple profiles (different version configurations: BG1, BG2, etc., if you are supporting profiles) and certainly a great time saver for setting up the games.

I'd say go forward with the project and if you find you loose interest or don't have the time, you could always open source it and add it to the site for others to continue.

Thanks, too BTW.

I'd say go forward with the project and if you find you loose interest or don't have the time, you could always open source it and add it to the site for others to continue

why even keep it separate in the first place? This ought to be merged into master so we can distribute it in our builds.

I'd say go forward with the project and if you find you loose interest or don't have the time, you could always open source it and add it to the site for others to continue

why even keep it separate in the first place? This ought to be merged into master so we can distribute it in our builds.

I agree, but I didn't want to say it as it's not my call! LOL

Hey,

I'm working on it so it can be merged. Leaving aside the graphical design for now.

- put iwd gametype in brackets (most people have iwd:how and they're not compatible)

[...]

Great idea with the verify gamedir button! I don't understand why you need a separate explorer though — does android really not come with a filepicker by default?

You mean in the config file? like this: iwd[how] ? What does gemrb accept as gametype?

And no,sadly android api doesnt offer any file picker; it's not hard to implement but I believe it will eventually be in google api and besides everyone has one file explorer. I'll include the most popular

we don't have it. anything on gplay wasn't done by us. it requires a heavily modified libSDL that we dont maintain or support in any way. The options available in that menu are likely out dated with SDL 2 and if/when we get opengl support it will be moot.

So with opengl support SDL won't be used at all?

Thanks for the clarifications

Right now it's a wrapping activity: it's the same gemrb app that starts on this menu. I think that's the way to go; however to make it into a seprate app is not a problem if that's the decision here

I'll post when I have a buildable repo on github so it's tested. after that hopefully it can be merged

Archived