Modlist Approval and Recommended Newer Mods

Grunker

The parts removed from the Imoen Romance primarily dealt with rape and sexual violence. From what I understand, pretty much everything else is still there, apart from some stuff that hasn't been re-implemented yet. (I helped theacefes put together parts of it and recode the dialog.)

Just to chip in on BG2EE -- there are actually a bunch of modders working on it, including myself and CamDawg, who can verify that mod incompatibility isn't really going to be an issue. Some mods will need a few updates, but the majority should work with very few changes at all. It's something we all obviously care about quite a bit. ;)

Well... while I respect your work (and the work of other modders on the EE's), BG:EE is far from compatible with what I'd like to use. Until I log on and find a post basically telling me I can run BG:EE + BG2:EE and every single one of my desired mods with no problems, I'll stay sceptic. Again, I have nothing but respect for the modders (and you know I like you Kaeloree), but I do no like Trent, his vision of the EE's or the project itself. I see very few compelling reasons to get a new edition that may cause issues with mods I now consider the bread and butter of my BG experience (like SCS). Sorry.

Maybe in many years it will be my preferred method of playing Baldur's Gate, but I'm not touching it until I know for sure it is the surperior version.

I really appreciate that, and I don't expect anyone to buy BG(2)EE if they would prefer not to! I just wanted to clarify that for BG2EE, modding is no more difficult than BG2, and mods will be compatible pretty much from the outset by design.

When you say Trent's "vision of the EE's", you have to understand that by and large, the vision is that of the entire team, including the modders. If there's something anyone disagrees with, you can bet it gets discussed and usually a compromise or agreement is reached. :)

Mods were not compatible with BGEE because the file name structure is different, but every other issue has pretty much been sorted :) BG1NPC for BGEE beta will be out soon, and as time goes on more and more BG mods will be ported over as we have time. SCS is compatible, too, actually! And will potentially even get integrated at some point, since DavidW is also a contractor for Overhaul/Beamdog.

Jeez, it sounds like I'm trying to make you a sales pitch -- all I wanted to do was make a correction, heh. :D I just hope that day where I can link you to said announcement isn't too far away!

Shoot me your list of mods.

Expect that PM sometime. ;)

Well, it's right here in this thread, isn't it? :p

Anyway, what's the advantage of using the 2.0 BETA version of Imoen Romance over the old one? If I lose some un-implemented content?

The parts removed from the Imoen Romance primarily dealt with rape and sexual violence.

But it was the best part of the mod! Ahem.

Off-topic, sorry, but I think there's more, and more again - when I was reading the new version, I couldn't find any of my favourite bits. Some semi-random replies are gone, and the scene where Imoen turns into the Slayer and kills PC for breaking up with her after the night of consensual sex is gone, too. Something was missing with the dreams(was music off? something else?), but it can be my faulty memory. Sorry. So I'll probably recommend the old version and leave it at that.

EDIT: speaking of licenses and permissions, did the original Imoen Romance author, erm, authorize that and see the end result?

If you want to feel safe, yes, probably better avoided. I haven't played it on BGT. And it's not a mod that can be installed over your entire installation once you start BG2 - as I said, it overwrites files. I wish there was an Imoen Romance version that didn't edit the text and only fixed some technical issues.

If you want to feel safe, yes, probably better avoided. I haven't played it on BGT. And it's not a mod that can be installed over your entire installation once you start BG2 - as I said, it overwrites files. I wish there was an Imoen Romance version that didn't edit the text and only fixed some technical issues.

Hmm. Otherwise I *could* just install the BG1 mods during this run, then full deletion, and make a clean install before the transition to BG2, and just import my character. That also brings down compatability issue risks.

I think I'm going to do that. That also means that maybe Kaeloree will have sent me a PM in time for BG2 :p

My list is much more manageable now:

1) ToBEx

2) BWP Fixpack

3) BG2 Fixpack

4) BGT

5) 1PP v4.1

6) 1PPv3 Avatar Fixes

7) BG1NPC

8) BG1NPC Music

9) The Lure of the Sirine's Call

10) Baldur's Gate Mini Quests and Encounters

11) BG1 Unfinished Business

12) Rogue Rebalancing

13) Level 1 NPC

14) SCS

15) BGT Tweak

16) BG2 Tweak

17) aTweaks

18) BGT Music

19) Item Randomiser

20) LadeJarl's Tutu GUI

21) Widescreen mod

By the way guys... the "Import More Items into Shadows of Amn" component from BGT Tweaks... does that require you to have the items in your possession, or does it just import the whole list?

The reason I asked is that now that I'm planning a re-install on transition, I'm worried that it may not carry them over?

The parts removed from the Imoen Romance primarily dealt with rape and sexual violence. From what I understand, pretty much everything else is still there, apart from some stuff that hasn't been re-implemented yet. (I helped theacefes put together parts of it and recode the dialog.)

Okay, now I'm confused. I'd heard there was a modified version of Imoen Romance, but I'd been ignoring it on the assumption that any mod whose author had put in lots of sexual violence wasn't a mod whose writing style I'd expect to enjoy even if the sexual violence itself was expurgated! But you and theacefes are people whose judgement I'd tend to trust - so what's going on? Was the original mod written by multiple people, or was it written by someone with good artistic judgement who just happened to have a blind spot about rape(!)?

@Grunker: the component checks if you have certain items, and if you have them, then IHaveThisItem variables are set and new items are placed on the table in the dungeon.

Speaking of variable names, I should probably report an issue...

Still off-topic, and speaking of sexual violence, I know that tastes differ and I may be playing a devil's advocate, but I think it has its place, from my favorite The Forsyte Saga to Salvatore's latest trilogy(both male and female characters). And someone may feel hurt if their tastes suddenly make them a persona non grata. I would also note that both Laufey and Dorotea, authors of Edwin Romance and the Longer Road, wrote implicit(and in Dorotea's case, very explicit) sexual assault scenes in their companion novels to their mods, and it didn't make their writing any worse, in my opinion. There is also Viconia romance which mentions and describes rape repeatedly. I don't think that sexual violence in mods is necessarily a bad idea - we don't really have it in Romance Encounters, per se, but I wouldn't be fundamentally opposed to reading such encounters.

Archived