Revised Armors

Demivrgvs

Making things "easier" by reducing install options is a VERY BAD idea.

You could say that it's easier to code those... yeah, but if you make a properly well made code, no matter which options you use, you still use the very same code library to install all things(and reduces the need to testing the options).

Tweaks, are just that, tweaks, the more options you have the better... always been so, always will be so. Remember, it's the players choice to install the component he wishes, and not your duty to keep them at the green road of uberDM.

Yes! I agree, totally agree. I have this mod installed right now and all install options for armors are imo great and should stay as they are.

I want revised armors without damage reduction (imo cheating) and without all those penalties (imo useless, adds nothing to the game). Movement speed penalty is exepcionally bad. I mean what's the point? Especially in BG1 which is all like, you know, walking....walking...walking.... kill a wolf...walking....walking..... :DDDDDD

I want revised armors without damage reduction (imo cheating) and without all those penalties (imo useless, adds nothing to the game).
I'm not sure I understand, you do not want physical resistance and you do not want penalties...then what's left of Revised Armors that you do want? DEX penalties only maybe?

Btw, why would you consider a small amount of physical resistance "cheating"? Enemies who use armors would automatically get it too (and generally they will benefit more than players from it because they rarely have 18 DEX). Is it because creatures without armors would be relatively disadvantaged by this component? Keep in mind that you are not getting a net advantage by installing the component because the penalties are supposed to offset the physical resistance advantage (DEX penalties alone are almost enough to balance it imo).

Movement speed penalty is exepcionally bad. I mean what's the point?
The point is that such feature is there even in PnP, and it adds one more layer of tactical gameplay. You are free to dislike it and not install it, but the idea per se clearly has a point imo.
The point is that such feature is there even in PnP, and it adds one more layer of tactical gameplay. You are free to dislike it and not install it, but the idea per se clearly has a point imo.
The problem is that tactical movement speed is inseparable from exploration in BG. Which is also the prime reason why people hate to have one pair of Boots of Speed less than they have party members...

The problem is that tactical movement speed is inseparable from exploration in BG. Which is also the prime reason why people hate to have one pair of Boots of Speed less than they have party members...

Yep, it's a little bit problematic. Characters wielding full plate absolutely need to equip boots of speed as soon as possible for exploration. (especially your main first range tank). Maybe store revisions could make boots of speed avaible early in BG1/BG2.. ( not the best elegant solution though)

Why not give players a speed boost while CombatCounter is 0?
That would work... but only if it's done correctly... and that's more than hard to do, as there's the 6 characters and 6 different armor classes .... on a general game level you don't want to crowd the essential game files with those as then it might miss more important things(and produce lag). Of course a custom player script would welcome such "distractions", and it would be useful there.
Well...technically I guess we could make the speed penalty trigger via "contingency" only when enemies are on sight, but I think it would look weird and I fear it could slow down the AI to have one of these things trigger each round for each armor for all characters. Too much for very little gain imo.

Regarding the whole "let's give 6x Boots of Speed" to players, it does sound sad. :( I know traveling plays a big role within BG but I never felt it so much time consuming (especially considering that you often trigger many encounters during those travels). Most importantly, doesn't all those boots give the party an unfair advantage? I mean, one fast character "exploiting" the kiting mechanic is ok, but a whole party? o.O

Mmm...should I start scratching my head to find some way to implement a sort of "run" mechanic?

I started basically avoiding Boots of Speed. The only way to fix their stacking with Haste is to make them grant Haste while equipped, and that's crazy.

Previously I nerfed them to +2 MS, and later I also tried +1 to AC, +2 vs missiles (I named them Boots of Reflex :p ). It's a broken item.

Regarding the whole "let's give 6x Boots of Speed" to players, it does sound sad. :( I know traveling plays a big role within BG but I never felt it so much time consuming (especially considering that you often trigger many encounters during those travels). Most importantly, doesn't all those boots give the party an unfair advantage? I mean, one fast character "exploiting" the kiting mechanic is ok, but a whole party? o.O
And a friend of mine cheats 6 pairs of the boots at the very start because they make the game faster... as she has gone through the games so manytimes, so it's not about cheating in the way to exploit it by kitting the enemy, but to fasten the phase. This is about the player choice, bah.

you don't need to care about armor for traveling, that was the complaint. So you could just set everyone's movement to 9 or more.
Actually the idea is to by pass the armor penalty. And you can't just go and set the speed, as there are other features that come to effect ...

I was never bothered by that. I find the fast forward thing to be simply ludicrous. If people believe that there is too much to walk playing BG1 then I fear much of the game charm has been wasted in their case.

Archived