Ps:T graphical problems (anthology edition)

bub0r

Hi there,

it's hard to describe the problems in words, so i let the screenshot speak for myself.

http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3459/9yepskgs_jpg.htm

The installation hadn't any problems, everything was successful.

When the game starts everything looks fine. It just gets this weired, when the fog of war is lifting or when i scroll around the screen. When the game is saved even the small preview-picture left to the savegames is showing that error.

It doesn't seem to matter, which resolution is set. It looks the same in 1900x1200 down to 1024x768. I tried to install ghostdog's und the fixpack after that, which wasn't a problem but didn't change a thing.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and bye

Sorry for posting twice, had not found the edit-button.

I de- and reinstalled Ps:T and had a look *before* i install your mod. Voilá, this graphical error does not belong to your mod but the original game.

Since I havent found even a description of that error and neither found a delete button, I would appreciate any solutions nontheless.

If it's inappropriate to ask that question in that forum, just delete this thread.

Thanks anyways.

In my opinion,it's good that this question is here, just so other people can see that there might be something off with the original game, but the image you should link to needs to be the direct link, not what ever the above is, and ... showing it like this is even better:

9yepskgs.jpg

thanks for binding it in, somehow the validation e-mail didn't reach me, though i asked for it again.

I figured out, that this isn't a problem of Ps:T but of the infinity engine since Icewind Dale looks all the same. I'm quite puzzled now, because i reinstalled my XP SP3 just one month ago, have not changed any hardware and before that BG worked fine. So my guess is, that this could be a problem of a new graphics driver.

I'll go ahead and look, if BG encounters the same problem, it should though, and try to downgrade the driver.

Any other ideas?

Any other ideas?
Other than asking the specifics of the video card model and the driver version, not really.

Ouh, and if that the video card is from either ATI or Nvidia, there could be controls in the Control Panel that allows you to set different settings for the game.exe's for various features, some of those settings could be totally incompatible with old games, or your directx version could be the culprit also. You'll just need to find it by elimination of the possible things.

thanks for binding it in, somehow the validation e-mail didn't reach me, though i asked for it again.
You are welcome, and no worries.

It's a ATI Radeon HD3870 with driver version 8.970.100.7000, which is according to AMD's offical homepage the latest.

Strangely enough, I cant imagine that i shouldn't have had the latest driver before reinstalling xp, since it's from january 2013.

I tested some different settings in the control center but just wildly. I will try that systematically before going for an older version of the driver.

Somehow your suggestion it might be directx-related sounds quite convincing. I definitly ran BG with .9c but maybe something is missing...

That didn't help but i found a solution.

The problem must be DirectDraw-related. Because turning it off via Dxdiag resolves that problem. Now the mouse cursor makes some problems in the menus, it, well, leaves a cursor trail when moved but that doesnt seem to be to bothering. I found aqurits ddrawfix - is it advisable to use that and does it interfere with widescreen, ghostdog's and the fixpack mods? Otherwise I just use dxdiag option.

is it advisable to use that and does it interfere with widescreen, ghostdog's and the fixpack mods? Otherwise I just use dxdiag option.
You probably mean this, well, I can tell you that there's one official version that comes with a version of a dxdiag fix very much like that.

I suggest that you read that thread and this, and make your own conclusions.... and this is a good install guide anyways.

is it advisable to use that and does it interfere with widescreen, ghostdog's and the fixpack mods? Otherwise I just use dxdiag option.
You probably mean this, well, I can tell you that there's one official version that comes with a version of a dxdiag fix very much like that.
I meant this patch, but I did not understand the 2nd part of the sentence. However,

I suggest that you read that thread and this, and make your own conclusions.... and this is a good install guide anyways.

I decided to give that ddfix a try, i took the 2nd option. With that foolproof install guide there weren't any problems, the patches are quite self-explanantory for themself though.

At a first glance everything seems to work perfectly fine.

If wished I could give a feedback when encountering magic, since as I overlooked there seem to be many problems with the display of that, for the ones who also met that strange graphic error.

Anyhow, I'd like to thank you. Which i hereby do. :)

I meant this patch, but I did not understand the 2nd part of the sentence. However,

A well known digital games seller uses this patch in their official release of PS:T.

It is a safe assumption to say you can use it too without worrying ;)

Archived