Newbie Modding Questions

Twani

I restructured the script. My references were a bit confusing and contradictory, especially for a beginner like me (the script files - the advice here was flawless). I removed the script from my initial baf.file and instead added the following in AR0809.baf which i then Extended in the TP2.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

// Making sure Liella activates/deactivates properly

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

IF

Global("W5LiAbducted","GLOBAL",1)

Global("W5LiDeactivated","AR0809",0)

!Dead("c6bodhi")

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("W5LiDeactivated","AR0809",1)

Deactivate("W5Li")

END

IF

Global("W5LiActivate","AR0809",0)

Dead("c6bodhi")

!InMyArea([ENEMY])

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("W5LiActivate","AR0809",1)

Activate("W5Li")

END

IF

Global("W5LiActivate","AR0809",1)

!InMyArea([ENEMY])

CombatCounter(0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

IncrementGlobal("W5LiActivate","AR0809",1)

ActionOverride("W5Li",MoveToObject(Player1))

ActionOverride("W5Li",StartDialogueNoSet(Player1))

END

Now it works like i want it to. Thanks for the suggestion though - having that script in my baf file might have been what prevented her from approaching <CHARNAME> earlier when she should have :).

Bit of a recurring problem when trying to make cutscenes work. Sometimes they work, sometimes it'll simply stand still and do absolutely nothing. I think i must be missing something very crucial - and probably very simple - in their creation.

Let's take this latest example i made to see if i understood - which i clearly do not, given that it does not work.

NPC is outside of party. In case <CHARNAME> tells NPC that he no longer wants her company in the party, she will act incredulous and a cutscene will start wherein there is a very simple effect and she moves, then disappears.

For now, i've reduced the cutscene to a simple, bare-boned 3-piece code that SHOULD simply display an effect.

Triggering code

IF ~~ W5LiBodhi_NoTrust

SAY ~Text~

= ~Text~

IF ~~ DO ~ SetGlobal("W5LiellaJoined","GLOBAL",0) StartCutSceneMode() StartCutScene("W5LiBodLv")~

EXIT

END

Cutscene code

IF

True()

THEN

RESPONSE #100

CutSceneId("W5Li")

CreateVisualEffectObject("SPDIMNDR",Myself)

EndCutSceneMode()

END

It *can't* be the fact that she is a character outside of the party - just this morning i wrote working code involving another CRE that was not part of the party, and that works flawlessly. Is it perhaps because the triggering dialogue is contained within APPEND? I can probably solve this rather easily without a cutscene, but i *would* like to understand just exactly what i am doing wrong and have done wrong many times now - for future reference when i am struggling with the same issue.

Big thanks to anyone who can point out my error here.

So... this is sort of a scary question.

Are there any tutorials for how to write a kit that'll work with both BGTutu/BGT and BGEE (from what I understand, kits and BGEE aren't the best of friends, here)?

If so, I could gladly use links.

If not... I'm totally forgetting it, as figuring it out myself looks terrifying, but I figured I should ask.

Cam's kit tutorial (THE kit tutorial) is up here and it contains instructions for making a kit for the BG2 engine (Tutu/BGT). You should start with this.

BGEE kit modding just involves some extra steps. You can find info on it here. Fair warning: I haven't attempted this myself yet.

If you were going to try to make a kit to take advantage of BGEE-exclusive features, you could look at some of those possibilities here.

Huh. I think I can do it; it doesn't look as hard as I thought.. I've given up the idea of making a full WIndwalker kit, with the ability to use swords and bows but not turn undead or wear heavy armor, because that's beyond my skill level, it wouldn't work on custom added items anyway and half the people won't like it to begin with (no turn undead or heavy armor? gasp!), but I think I can make something similar to the Cleric kits already in the game. I don't think I'll need any of the BGEE specific craziness, and I don't really intend this kit to be used by the player, just the NPC.

(This is me sort of talking to myself, so feel free to skip this till the questions at the end.)

In AD&D, Windwalkers gain Helping Hand, Whispering Wind, Unseen Servant, Gust of Wind, Shield, Wraithform, Find the Path, and Windwalk (as well as the ability to stealth like rangers). In 3E D&D, windwalkers gain all spells from the Air and Travel domain, and then feather fall, analyze portal, air walk, and eventually a form of fly at will (as well as cold resistance and the ability to smite fiends). ...Unfortunately, the only one of those spells actually in the Baldur's Gate engine is Shield (though I suppose Wraithform as a form of invisibility or the summoning of air elementals for unseen servant could sort of work if you squint). Which I suppose could be used as the basic ability: it's not as good as lightning bolt, true seeing, and boon of lathander (which is awesome), but it works.

Especially if I give it a higher level ability to cancel. 3rd edition windwalkers get access to Windsong, which altered a bit, could work. What it does originally is put up a Wind Wall surrounding the Windwalker by 60 feet, deafen all creatures in it, cause anyone casting spells or making concentration checks to have to make an opposed check to the windwalker in order to succeed, and acts as a countersong (cancels any sonic/sound based attacks, or language based attacks- those would include the power words, though I see no way to put that in to AD&D). Most of that's 3E nonsense, but I figure I could code it like this: the casting of it causes one brutal knockback to anyone around the Windwalker (similar to a Dragon's wind buffet, though it would affect allies as well), it cancels deafness on any allies, and it causes deafness on any enemies within range (probably with a check at a reasonable saving throw, so that most enemy mages should fall to it (unless you're using SCS, then you're probably screwed) but liches and the like will laugh it off).

My question is, basically, would that be possible to code? If it is possible, I can probably figure it out and do it, but if it's not possible, I'll... er... think of something else. Somehow. And, of course, does Shield and Windsong seem relatively balanced against clerics of Lathander and Talos (poor clerics of helm are already underpowered, sadly)?

Also, my side note: how do I get Infinity Explorer working on BGEE/BG2EE again? Is it just moving the dlg.tlk and the ini folder to the main folder, or am I missing something?

Well, you could maybe check for the death variable "famcat".

If the doesn't work, then a script that

- checks if FAMCAT.CRE or FAMCAT25.CRE are in the area (only the PC gets a familiar...). That would cover if the familiar is out and about.

- checks if PartyHasItem(FAMCAT)/PartyHasItem(FAMCAT25) (If it's curled up in the pack)

might do the trick.

Archived