Newbie Modding Questions

Twani

(You said that the dialogue was assigning to Altan correctly, so this first bit probably isn't the fix you're looking for, but...) This is one way to make sure the dialogue and death variables are assigned. Probably others - I mostly just copy other people's code, though, and this works for me.

COPY ~bg1re/riversides/RE#GHON2.cre~ ~override/RE#GHON2.cre~

WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~RE#GHON2~ #8 // override

WRITE_ASCII 0x2cc ~RE#GHON2~ #8 // dialogue

WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~RE#GHON2~ #32 // death variable

WRITE_ASCII 0x250 ~~ #8 // class script

WRITE_ASCII 0x258 ~~ #8 // race script

WRITE_ASCII 0x260 ~~ #8 // general script

WRITE_ASCII 0x268 ~~ #8 // default script

SAY NAME1 ~Yvonne~

SAY NAME2 ~Ghost~

Open up Altan's DLG in Infinity Explorer - each state should tell you what criteria it thinks it needs to trigger (in the window below where the dialogue trees appear).

CHAIN IF ~Global("M3AltMetBG","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN M3ALT gr

You might want to check with your console that "M3AltMetBG" really is 0.

And recheck spelling. Sounds lame, I know, but it happens.

---
I answered some of this in the reply to your post in the SHSforum thread... different spell tables you say, interesting.

I believe I have the functions set up properly, as some of them work and some don't.

BACKUP "EldritchKnightKit\Backup"
AUTHOR ~anthxas@gmail.com~

BEGIN ~Eldritch Knight - Sorcerer Kit~

INCLUDE ~EldritchKnightKit/fl#add_kit_ee.tpa~

ADD_KIT ~EldKnight~
 ~EldKnight				1		   1		   1		   0		   0		   1		   1		   1~
 ~EldKnight 3 3 0 3 3 3 3 0 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0~
 ~EldKnight				0	   0	   0	   0	   0	   0~
 ~EldKnight				0	   0	  0	   0	   0	   0~
 ~EldKnight				0	   0	  0	   0	   0	   0~
 ~EldKnight				1	   1	   1	   1	   1	   1	   1	   1	   1~
 ~EldritchKnightKit/KitAbil/CLABELDK.2da~
 ~K_S_H K_S_E K_S_HE~
 ~0x00004000	19~
 ~FM0~
 ~CHAN16 * * BAG28 RING09 RING05,10 * BOOT01 AMUL21 BRAC10 BELT06 POTN52,5 POTN04,2 POTN14,5 WA2DAK SW1H36 STAF06 STAF08 HELM07 HELM20  ~
 SAY ~Eldritch Knight~
 SAY ~Eldritch Knight~
SAY ~Eldritch Knight:  Studying the martial and arcane arts to equal degree, the eldritch knight is a versatile combatant who can shape and use their innate sorcerous powers on their foes or charge them with weapon drawn. The eldritch knight takes pride in their ability to use the right technique for the job: spells against physically tough foes and force of arms against spellcasting enemies.

Eldritch knights split their time between physical training to become better soldiers and learning to master their arcane powers. They tend to be driven individuals, because simultaneously perfecting their spellcasting and combat prowess requires immense time and effort.

Advantages:
-Can achieve mastery in any melee weapon.
-May place maximum slots in weapon styles.
-Gains 1/2 attack at levels 7 and 13
-Uses Cleric THACO progression.
-Gain HD at the rate of a Cleric
-Gains proficiency points at the rate of a fighter.

Disadvantages:
-May cast three fewer spells per level per day.
-May not specialize in any ranged weapons.~

COPY ~EldritchKnightKit\KitAbil/ek#tb01.SPL~ ~override~	
COPY ~EldritchKnightKit\KitAbil/CLABELDK.2DA~ ~override~	
COPY ~EldritchKnightKit\KitAbil/MXSPLEK.2DA~ ~override~	

LAF fl#add_kit_ee
 INT_VAR
biography = 15883 // Normal biography for thieves
briefdesc = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~ your biography note etc ~)
 STR_VAR
kit_name = EldKnight
clswpbon = ~1 0 2~	// First part does not work, last part does.   I checked the file in NE and the values are entered correctly.  However, it has no effect ingame.
numwslot = 3			  //Works
hpclass  = ~hpprs~	//Works
profs = ~4 4~			  //does not work   The edits do not even show up in this file, can some files not be written to, or am I doing this wrong?
profsmax = ~2 3~	   //does not work   Same as above.

END

I really don't understand how to replace a spell table to the kit either. I cannot figure out how the DD knows how to use MXSPLDD.2da. Thanks for being so patient and helpful!

I added 'WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~M3Alt~ #8 //override script

WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~M3Alt~ #32 //DV

WRITE_ASCII 0x2cc ~M3Alt~ #8 //pre-joining dialogue file

WRITE_ASCII 0X34 ~M3AltS~ #8 //small portrait

WRITE_ASCII 0x3c ~M3AltM~ #8 //medium portrait' to the tpu file, but no go. Nothing came of it.

However, that didn't fix it.

I think I've found the problem, and it's in that darned tpu file. My dialogue and script files aren't going in to the override folder, or in to the dlg.tlk. So I can't open the dialogues in Near Infinity to figure out what's wrong. Something in my COMPILE EVALUATE_BUFFER just isn't working, I guess? I have no actual idea. My first thought was to copy the dlg and scripts to the override, and see if things worked if I did it that way, but now I can't even check as I'm suddenly finding a weirder bug.

Now whenever I enter the Friendly Arm Inn, he suffers from a morale failure and takes off running (or, 1 out of 9 or so times, goes berserk). This happens whether his morale states in DLTCEP are set as berelinde suggests in her tutorial (10/60/5) or whether I leave them as normal player-characters are (10/1/0). This even happens when I totally gave up and set all three stats at 0. This happened when I reverted the creature file back to a backup before it happened, or when I used his chr file to make a totally new creature file. I've never even heard of this bug before. I mean, I've definitely heard of the NPC can not talk to you and files not getting copied correctly bugs, but going randomly morale failure each time the PC enters the map? That one's new for me.

I gave up and uploaded the start of my very crappy mod on sendspace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vut7rp. If anyone has spare time and the patience of a saint and can look and try and figure out why A) I'm having crazy constant morale failures no matter what the morale options are set or B) why my dlg and script files aren't working and dialogs aren't getting assigned, I would be very much in your debt. And even if you don't have the time to look at it, if you have any ideas on why either of these things would be happening, please post. I'm personally so confused right now that I'm probably not even seeing the very obvious.

Well, you were missing some stuff for Imoen in the tp2, which I've added back in for you.

There were a lot of issues with quotation marks being not recognized by weidu, and a couple other little textual issues, which I've cleaned up.

You had APPEND M3ALTJ instead of BEGIN M3ALTJ at the beginning of your J file, which was causing serious issues. Took me far longer to realize that than I'd care to admit, haha. It's still saying that InParty(imoen) is showing up somewhere, so that's either a crossplatform issue or you've forgotten to put her name with the variables somewhere and the search function is failing me. Beyond that, it currently can't find RAMZI in the chitin.key, which I'm guessing is a misidentified variable for one of those interjections, but it's getting too late to figure things like that out right now.

Anyway, I've rar'd it back up for you, minus WeiDU, since G3 was choking on the size.

AltanZipThatDoesNotWork.rar

Okay. First problem, you need an extra END right before your COMPILE_EVALUATE_BUFFER lines for the dialogue. The way it is now, it's continuing to check for neera.dlg before compiling, which is why the dlg files aren't going to the override (in Tutu and BGT, anyway).

You haven't set his Allegiance; he's got a green circle before he even joins. Open up his cre file in NearInfinity and change it from PC to NEUTRAL. While you're at it, scroll up to Flags and uncheck "Export Allowed".

Beyond that, check your M3AltJ file. There are a lot of little mistakes in there that break the installation; you've got RAMZI instead of RAMAZI, MELIUM instead of MEILUM, PRILMU instead of PRIILMU, SCLUM instead of SCHLUM and InParty(%IMOEN_DV%) instead of InParty("%IMOEN_DV%").

You've also got mislabeled dialogues (nn.1.1 instead of nn1.1, for example) and a bunch of non-existent states in your interjections. You try to go to state 20 in the Denak interjection when Denak only has four lines. There were too many of those for me to get through, but they're all reported by Weidu, so you should be able to clean them up yourself; I think the main problem was just the missing END.

EDIT: Missed something. In addition to adding the another END before the COMPILE_EVALUATE_BUFFERs, you need to remove the second end after

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~neera.dlg~ THEN BEGIN
COMPILE EVALUATE_BUFFER ~Altan/Dialogue/M3AltEE.d~
END

Thank you guys so much. Fifty cheers and thanks for your patience. I'll go to work fixing stuff immediately and see if that sets everything working alright. :) I'm guessing it will. Again, thanks for being so patient with all my stupid little mistakes.

Well, I fixed up my J file so now everything works and it compiles well and there are no horrible bugs. Yay! Thanks, everyone, for the help. And I changed my cre file like Glam Vrock said, and now it will hopefully work without dreaded morale failures. And, my tpu is finally working. So, all good there.

...Save for now it's trying to compile my banter file, and it's throwing up warnings about every one of these:

CHAIN IF ~InParty("M3Alt")

See("M3Alt")

!StateCheck("Ajantis",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

!StateCheck("M3Alt",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

CombatCounter(0)

!SeeEnemy

Global("m3AltAjantis1","GLOBAL",0)~

Every single one gets a PARSE WARNING 'Global' syntax error, 'Warning: cannot verify trigger'. I'm wondering if I need to move my creature file before the dialogue compiles? It sounds weird, but my global's in the J file only worked when I moved the area scripts in front of the dialogue compiles. I'm not sure. If anyone has any idea on that, I'd appreciate advice.

However, my real problem is it's bugging out at this banter:

CHAIN IF ~InParty("Jaheira")
See("Jaheira")
!StateCheck("Jaheira",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
!StateCheck("M3Alt",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
CombatCounter(0)
!SeeEnemy
Global("m3AltJaheira1","GLOBAL",1) Global("m3AltJaheira2","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN m3AltJaheira2
~Jaheira, I swear, I'm not going to misuse Shillelagh. I don't even think it's possible to misuse Shillelagh. It's Shillelagh. You summon a weapon. You use it. That's it.~
DO ~SetGlobal("m3AltJaheira2","GLOBAL",1)~
== %JAHEIRA_BANTER% ~The fact that you think that only proves that you are not yet wise enough to wield it.~
== M3BALT ~I would have learned Shillelagh as a ranger anyway! The only difference is that now I can use it... well... now, rather than later.~
== %JAHEIRA_BANTER% ~But when it comes to Fire Seeds? Creeping Doom? Those spells would not be learned by you naturally, if not for this quirk of fate your god has granted you.~
== M3BALT ~I'll only use them for the sake of the balance and against enemies of nature, I promise, so please...~
== %JAHEIRA_BANTER% ~Altan, do you have any idea what the balance even is?~
== M3BALT ~The thing you talk about a lot? A lot, a lot? Like, all the time?~
== %JAHEIRA_BANTER% ~Altan...~
== M3BALT ~I'm not a servant of the balance, Jaheira. I'm a ranger. A servant of good, or at least I try. I mean, I listen when you lecture me, but then I get distracted by the wind and the birds, and you're still talking, and... I'm not a druid.~
== %JAHEIRA_BANTER% ~I am *well* aware of that.~
== M3BALT ~So I don't think training me as a druid is going to work. I'm just going to be a confused ranger and cleric.~
== %JAHEIRA_BANTER% ~Who is casting druid spells.~
== M3BALT ~(sigh) Tell me about the balance again. This time, I'll try to listen.~
EXIT

It's telling me the line 'DO ~SetGlobal("m3AltJaheira2","GLOBAL",1)~' is wrong. That line is the exact same as every other line in my banter file that hasn't been wrong. Because I made the stupid mistake with the END's earlier, I double and triple checked this one, and rewrote it from scratch twice just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. But I'm seriously not seeing anything out of the ordinary with it. Any thoughts?

Every single one gets a PARSE WARNING 'Global' syntax error, 'Warning: cannot verify trigger'.

!SeeEnemy

There's your problem. This needs to be !See([ENEMY])

And...

Global("m3AltJaheira1","GLOBAL",1) Global("m3AltJaheira2","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN m3AltJaheira2

This should be:

Global("m3AltJaheira1","GLOBAL",1) Global("m3AltJaheira2","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN m3balt m3AltJaheira2

Everything (well...) actually works now. It's amazing. Extra thank you's to all of you for being so patient with me through this process. Extra bewilderment at self for so many of my mistakes actually being the result of bad copy-pasting: I would forget to copy-paste something, or I would copy-paste something I shouldn't have. Bad, self.

But there's that well.

The portrait. In DLTCE, it shows up correctly and has the correct names. In Near Infinity, it doesn't show up correctly, but it has the correct names. In the TPU, the two files, with the correct names, are being taken and copied to the override folder. I also have the ASCI things: 'WRITE_ASCII 0X34 ~M3AltS~ #8' and 'WRITE_ASCII 0x3c ~M3AltM~ #8'. But in game, he has no portrait, and when he joins the party he becomes that blank icon with the question mark on it rather then using his assigned portraits.

Anything I'm missing?

So, can we use this thread as a noob thread, cause i am riding struggle bus. IF I need start a new thread i will. I'm working with DLTCEP and trying to create a new quarter staff, and the extended header effects are destroying me. I'm trying to get charged ability working and im failing.

Archived