Weapon styles revision (EE-only)

Ogi

Hi. I registered to post here on this topic first of them all.

I like the idea, and I specially like stuff that enables thieves to be viable later in the game.

I think SWS (and all other styles) should indeed be buffed up to (+++). What I did on my BG installation for SWS was:

(+):

-1 Thac0

-1 AC

+5% crit

(++):

-2 Thac0

-2 AC

+5% crit

(+++):

-3 Thac0

-2 AC

+10% crit

My reasoning behind it was similar to some here.

- Two handed weapons should be for characters that want to focus on +dmg. It could have 3 stages as well but two handers IMO are "all or nothing" attacks. Meaning that they should cause massive damage but are always going to be slow and predictable. The +5% critical actually makes sense here, so I'd leave it, but I am against the speed factor on Two handed weapons.

- Sword and Shield should have a third rank as well to give some use for it later on and bonuses should be better spread through the levels so it is not OP in BG1. AC is of course, the focus. Maybe get to -4 AC by third rank?

- Single weapon is for me, a thief specialty. And the focus is on "precision strikes". So I think Thac0 and critical are essential. Some AC is also part of the whole extra mobility of a single light single-handed weapon. And I configured my game to only allow thieves (or dual/multi thieves) to get the third rank in SWS. With this, thieves gained the unique ability to crit more often than any other class in the game. I do not think that even fighters should be able to select third rank in SW as it is, IMO, that crafty sneaky stuff that makes rogues unique that actually provides that extra critical chance.

It might also be more plausible to only allow assassins to get that third rank. It does make perfect sense but I like my thieves a little stronger than usual.

- Two weapon style is good as it is IMO. Its focus is on extra attacks so I think it already is pretty balanced.

Here's the file with SWS changed.

stylbonu.2da

Edited by pblack476

Well, I think it's not time to discuss about this topic yet and even this priority is quite low because it can be implemented in EE series only, but I'd like to give my suggestion about the Weapon Style Revision (WSR).

1. Single Weapon

(+): +1 dmg, -1 Thac0

(++): +2 dmg, -2 Thac0 (and +5% crit if this fighting style should keep its maximum proficiency points).

(+++): +2 dmg, -2 Thac0, +5% crit

2. Sword and Shield

(+): -1 AC, -1 AC against missile

(++): -2 AC, -2 AC against missile

(+++): -2 AC, -2 AC against missile, +5% physical resistance (I guess this is not implementable even on EE series... so I'd rather restrict this fighting stype to (++))

3. Two-handed Weapon

(+): +1 dmg, -2 Speed Factor

(++): +2 dmg, -4 Speed Factor
(+++): +2 dmg, -4 Speed Factor, +5% crit

4. Two Weapons

No change.

Single Weapon Style is significantly changed from vanilla and even the other's suggestion; I picked dmg boost instead of AC. The reasons are

- A few specific classes/kits, such as Kensai and Thieves, only select Single Weapon Style. And since those classes/kits can pick Two Weapons Style (with RR) they would prefer to that instead of Single Weapon Style (I think Thac0 bonus is less attractive than APR bonus for sure)

- A character may get AC bonus without the Single Weapon Style; Two Weapon Styles + an off-hand weapon which provides AC bonus or S&S Style

Actually, I changed the Single Weapon Style for Thieves because the IR's changes indirectly reduce the power of backstabbing (e.g., katana, which is the best weapon for backstabbing in vanilla, brings backstabbing multiplier penalty while installing IR).

Comparing with Two-handed Weapon, the TW implicitly provides an unique advantage: longer range. The SW focuses on precision, and the TW focuses on stability. I was thinking to change TW's Speed Factor bonus to AC, but discarding because the change would make the TW too strong.

Hello gents, necroing another thread just to leave note for posterity.

By using stats and/or spellstates, along with opcode 326 from EE v1.4+, as well as opcode 321 from EE v1.4+, it is possible to basically do anything you want to do with weapon styles.

As an example, I have set SWS to give + .5 APR if you are specialized in it, and I set specialization with S&S to apply a Fire Shield-style effect that causes melee attackers to make a saving throw or take bashing damage when they strike you.

Pretty much anything you can do with a spell, can be set to be applied with proficiency or specialization in a weapon style (or with any proficiency, in fact).

Edited by subtledoctor