[Classic BG1] Summon Creature without the "cloud" animation? (for "talking item")

jastey

What I am trying to do is actually a talking item, for classic vanilla BG1:TotSC. I helped myself by making it a usable item and giving the item the effect Summon creature (spawns custom creature that starts the item dialogue).

This leads to my creature being spawned in the typical cloud. Since the creature should be invisible at best, but at least shouldn't draw too much attention, this is somewhat unsatisfying. My creature is a bird, since I didn't see a way to make it invisible?

Is there a way to disable the "summon creature fog cloud" animation?

Or does anyone have a better idea how to realize a talking item for BG1?

You can make the creature invisible by giving it invisibility and/or transparency fade. The problem is, I don't think you can remove its selection circle in BG1, so that may or may not be an issue.

As for the puff of smoke, I'm not really sure. It would probably work if created via script, but I don't really know how to trigger a script with an item in BG1 since items can't affect globals.

You could always go the other way and create a fully animated summoned creature which is a (mental) projection of the personality inhabiting the item. Not quite as cool as yelling at a sword.

You can make the creature invisible by giving it invisibility and/or transparency fade.

I tried in NI to mark the "STATE_INVISIBLE" Status tagg, but it didn't affect the visibility (it was plain visible). The circle is no problem as a bird doesn't have one.

It isn't an inhabited item than rather a plain book - the player should be able to "turn pages", that is why it needs the dialogue-like text tree.

Trigger via script would be cool, but not being able to set a global variable via item effect is exactly the problem.

Thank you for your ideas!

Oh, I just assumed it was intelligent. Makes sense if it's just supposed to be interactive.

Anyway, use DLTCEP to give it opcodes #20 (invisibility) and #66 (transparency fade) and see if that works. Not really sure if the bird can be made invisible.

Yes, that made it invisible, and it's still talking. Cool!

My original problem remains: To get rid of the fog cloud. Looks like something unexpected is happening, and all the PC is supposed to do is open the book. It's not old enough to explain the cloud with dust...

My original problem remains: To get rid of the fog cloud.

Afair, the default summoning animation (cloud of dust) will only be triggered when you summon the creature directly. By using an EFF file you can override the animation by using the Resource2 field (specifying 'NONE' should remove the animation completely). I'm not sure however if it works like that in BG1 as well.

Anyway, use DLTCEP to give it opcodes #20 (invisibility) and #66 (transparency fade) and see if that works. Not really sure if the bird can be made invisible.

Yes, that made it invisible, and it's still talking. Cool!

I don't know if it works in BG1, but in BG2 I always use this effect on the creature when I want to summon an invisible creature, whatever its animation slot :

Effect Graphics: Animation Removal [315] with a constant value of 2 : I don't need to make it invisible.

If I add Graphics: Play 3D Effect [215], I just create a sorcerer cauldren for exemple, or a barbe-q for cooking and let them dialog with the party.

argent77, thank you for the idea but my item equipped with the EFF crashes the game, I think I'll give up on this.
Specifying NONE in the resource2 field has always worked for me. But if you're working with BG1 without TotSC, I don't think that engine recognized external EFFs.

Archived