Let's talk SWtOR!

Twani

I think Mako would actually fit in great in Imperial Intelligence (they'd love someone with her tech, and she actually makes more sense to be recruited then Kaliyo does ("Hey, random anarchist, want to work for the Imperial Government?"). And Kaliyo would have great fun with the BH. The problem is that while Kaliyo would be okay for the BH, alignment-wise (you'll get Torian and his Mandlorian Honor TM eventually), Mako for the Agent would give you way too much light side companion. Vector's never met a light side choice he didn't like (seriously, I played with him as my companion for all my agents run, and I never saw him lose affection for a light side choice), Lokin generally prefers the wise-third option (which is usually lightside), and Ensign supports the Empire but wants to be noble and reasonable about it (which usually leads to lightside). That would leave you till Belsavis without a dark side companion. So Kaliyo has to stay with the Agent, I suppose, even though Mako with my BH will probably drive me mad.

That's another planet I hate. Stupid prison planet. Way too many walls. (I think that's the place my Smuggler took her 200 DS points- she allowed a wanted criminal to escape because he stands around on your ship and I wanted more people standing around my ship. I know she took 50 points for agree to smuggle the spice on Ord Mantell.)

I play warzones- I'll never play open world PVP (see me stepping in to the Outlaw's Den as my agent, see me backing away screaming). But warzones are fun, especially as a healer. You get an easy medal for healing 3000 on one shot- one you'll easily get healing a Trooper/Bounty Hunter Jugg/Guardian from low to full, and just one medal is all it takes to get rewards. So I just run warzones for fun when I have the spare time, same with space missions. I'm not sure I like the new arena ones, but I actually haven't been on a team that's lost one yet.

Companion bonuses are the ones that show up on the Imperial Classes/Republic Classes section of your legacy. You get +10 presence for each character for every companion maxed out. By maxed out, it doesn't mean max influence- it means you've seen all their conversations (so I have Temple maxed out, but I think her affection is only high 8000). That means some characters (Khem and Kira come to mind) can't be maxed out till after your class story is done, while other companions can be maxed out basically as soon as you get them if you feel like grinding gifts forever. One of a melee tank, melee dps, ranged tank, ranged dps, and a healer will give you a small bonus and reduce your Heroic Moment cooldown by a tiny bit, but you can only get that bonus once per type. So as I have Corso, Guss, Vector, and Temple 'maxed' so their portrait is showing, I'm only missing the melee tank- and I have Khem at max affection. I just need to finish my Inquisitor, which... might take a while. Foo.

Torian sucks? Someone was complaining that he basically talks in monotone and has no emotion in general (but they trashed Quinn as too boring, so I wasn't sure whether to believe them). Sigh. What does a girl have to do for a good romance option... oh well, 3/4 on Empire side isn't bad at all. Now republic... well, I'll have to see how Doc is. So far Aric yes, Corso no. I'm not even sure if I'd ever end up playing a Councilor up to the point where you even meet Felix... right now, mine is permanently stuck at 17 on her ship and will be my seventh character and thus over the limit when I go back to being preferred. Though I really might subscribe...

If I do subscribe, when I get my Jedi Knight to the end of Act I, I'll make a Trooper and try to play Republic DS. I know Trooper actually has a few decent LS/DS decisions in their class quests, at least. Thinking, the Jedi Knight did, too (the weapons fate). It would be sort of nice if choosing idealistic/morally right choices all the time occasionally had drawbacks. As it is, I destroy epic weapons that could change the course of the war and get the Republic a victory. Does anything come of that? Nah. Republic's still going to do fine in the war, and I was perfectly right in destroying the weapons. Offering everyone I meet a second chance? They always reform, never once do they accept my offer of surrender and then go back to their evil ways and destroy innocents behind my back. Even in Mass Effect (3), there were occasional hard choices- to be a bit vague, to save the Queen, you had to sacrifice everyone on a squad of warriors but the leader in a 'I hope it was worth it' decision. SWTOR? Light is always right.

Of course, by that same manner, there's never really consequences for being DS, either. Save for Jadus killing me for snarking at him once. Curse you, Jadus!

I ended up mostly light side on my agent, but the occasional dark side choice I made were almost always brutal. Dark Side Agent really isn't funny, at least in the class quests. Dark Side Inquisitor is hilarious, because it's just so over the top and ridiculous and obvious in that 'this is just a game, my character is a crazy psycho traveling with crazy psychos'. Dark Side Agent is like 'hm, what's best for the empire... alright, sacrifice the innocents' and it's just cold. Makes me happy for Agent Act 3 conclusion.

I spent most of today being good and studying, and I swear tomorrow I'll do some Baldur's Gate modding (haven't touched it this week). Still finished the bonus series on Tattooine with my Jedi Knight- I didn't mind that one too much, even though it was basically 'kill imperials and sand people until your eyes bleed'. It felt like I was just being helpful and Jedi-like, so it was fine by me. Then I made a mistake of going to the fleet at level 30, and triggering the start of the Jedi Prisoner quest. Now, that's cool. You meet you know who. The not cool? The quest is obviously meant to be done *after* you've completed Act I, because my character's first response to the Jedi Master quest giver completely spoiled the twist that happens at the end of Act One. I already knew it, because I know basically every spoiler on Class Quests by now, but that still pissed me off. That could completely spoil someone new to the game on Act I's conclusion. :(

On the same note, if you've bought Rise of the Hutt Cartel/subscribed, don't activate your ship's holoterminal after 47 unless told to, or you'll end up with another spoilery conversation where the person talking to you will act like you've completed Act 3's finale (which usually doesn't happen till 50). Bah to spoilers.

I got spoiled exactly like that: hit level 47(before the end of Act 2), clicked on my communicator, and voila, the beginning of the expansion is here! Hello! Congratulations on defeating ***! You're now ***, I've heard? By the way, want to know who won the Republic-Empire war? And me going: WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

(I got spoiled for Sith Warrior, surely, so I know who the end boss is and what's my role in the Empire, but still).

EDIT: And, yep, don't want to get spoiled in Jedi Knight, so thanks for the warning - I'm going to try the you-know-who flashpoints after Act 1.

I went Trooper - Taris and Nar Shaddaa yesterday. The story on Taris is boring - basically, your antagonist is a raving lunatic instead of an anti-hero or a worthy opponent or a conflicting figure. Kill him, go home. Nar Shaddaa was more interesting because of Jonas, naturally. Love Jonas, want to have drinks with Jonas, am imagining my Trooper in her evening dress now. Anyway, I really understand where Jab's coming from about Trooper's team being the best - Elara and Forex are both worthy team members, especially Forex(I don't like Elara yet, because I'm bad at warming up to female comps in general, AND she doesn't have a favorite gift, much like Jaesa. But we'll get there... maybe). Forex was a very pleasant surprise. And I tried to finish the after-Nar-Shaddaa-ship at level 20 and almost succeeded! But failed to kill the final boss, who was lvl24. Sigh. Underlevelling sucks when it hits(but being able to play class only missions doesn't! :D )

By the way, speaking of Trooper and DS, DS choices are rather reasonable and decent, you're right. But they're... well, Empire-like, they make the Republic too much like the Empire. Like, "kill those innocents, they might be dangerous!", "take that bioweapon, Republc could use it!"

If I were a Sith or an Agent? Sure, no problem. But... somehow, I don't feel like it here on the Republic size. I think I'm more comfortable to be upholding the light side ideals with Trooper or Jedi Knight. (Then again, if it were possible to play a SECRETLY DARK character who would be plotting AGAINST the republic... but there's probably no such choice, so the idealist Trooper/JK/grumbling-but-good Smuggler it is).

I think Agent has a very cool dark side set of choices. Watcher X choice? Darth Jadus choice(loving both those guys, so you can guess what my choices were)? "Hi, Agent, we're going to kill all the people on that station so nobody knows what really happened." - "One moment. Vector, please, take a walk... Hey, Kalyio, long time no see. Let's turn off those oxygen tanks."

As for max companions, I have to buy some more gifts to Temple/Vette/other girls, it seems, because I've got Malavai and Vector only. But having 18-minute cooldown on your heroic moment rocks, I admit. :)

I played LS trooper. I think, that DS might be fun as well. Your superior (Garza) is generally in favor of DS solution and they will always make sense (protection of the Republic costs lives). If you are mainly heal or DPS (that usually means Commando), than your main companion will be Tanno Vik I guess (he is the only DS in the party, though even Elara and Aric are sometimes in favor of DS options). He is a good tank with some good dialogues. On the other hand I have the feeling, that he does not really fit into the crew (and for example Elara Dorne says that loudly) and there is no romance option with him (which is even logical I would said...).

I completed the Imp. Agent. story yesterday. It was really good and I always felt helpless in protecting of the Empire, when a Sith stepped in. Which is again as it should be. I will probably not return to this character much, because its nearly impossible to find the entry purple gear for lvl 50 on the french PvE server (Mantle of the Force). The GTN really does not work there properly. And to be honest while classic gear sets for trooper and sith warrior look good, the one for agent does not (artifact/arkanian/black market is good again though). Its really a shame, that most of the high level gears look so bad nowadays (and those Tionese/Rakata gears are gone).

I love the classic (sniper's, or black talon's) set for my sniper. I think she looks very menacing when she swoops in. I like swooping. :D I don't want to finish my class stories yet, so I'm bringing my Imps slowly to the end of Chapter 2, and Republic guys - to the end of Chapter 1 and then 2. This way I'll have more fun.

I haven't seen good-looking suits for the trooper(but I'm low level) and Sith warrior, though, especially for the Sith Warrior-mara(medium; I got a nice-looking heavy suit). I want to get a decent set, but they all look meh. Mostly hooded, and I prefer my hatless look.

I hope I get to go to Telos in this game :) OMG, your notes are just tantalizing.

Tonight is gonna be our gaming night, so excited! My kiddo gets a report card and a day off school tomorrow, so no homework, just a hap ki do class, so I am going to be a bad mom and sneak away to the galaxy for the night. :)

With a site like torfashion (look there at Amor/Similar and choose your class), its really easy to find you favorite gear. ;) Marauders are in a harder position to find one. But you have an ok goal in a classic gear. http://tor-fashion.c...aponmaster-imp/ Black Hole gear looks the same (you can find it in lvl 48-50 SM and HM flashpoints), but does not include the set bonuses.

Btw I had my agent in the same gear since she have found the Athiss armor. http://tor-fashion.c...-informant-imp/ Also RD-07A Vendetta gear looks ok.

Troopers generally have a good selection (and even the lvl 50 classic commendation gear looks ok). So far my favorite is the pvp lvl 40 gear, which you can buy on Coruscant for warzone commendations. It will take some time to get it, but its really worth it.

xFM9b.jpg

All I care about for my agent is 'Is she a badass in a nice trenchcoat?'

If yes, yay. If not, acquire trenchcoat, because she will always be a badass. I'm not sure where this coat came from- I think it's easily gotten from the planetarry com venders- but it's a black trenchcoat, and that's all she really needs in life. I suppose I'm going to have to either upgrade to PVP gear eventually (or if I get really crazy, start gearing her out for raids), but for now, I'm satisfied. Until I get Rise of the Hutt Cartel, there's not much of a point in worrying about either path, because the raids/PVP/endgame starts at 55 now.

en1p.jpg

I currently like my Assassin's clothes, too- it's this high collared horrible fashion monstery, but she looks good in it. Very Sith Lord. I approve of it. On the other hand, my Smuggler is just running around in a freakin' vest, my Sith Warrior is just boring (though she has cool shoulder pads), and my Jedi... well, Jedi fashion is not exactly the greatest thing known to man. "Do I want this brown robe, or THAT brown robe?" Very tough choices.

And yeah. Just avoid the Jedi Prisoner start quests until you finish Act I. Ugh. Horrible spoiler. :(

Female companions, huh... hm. Well, I like Kaliyo. Completely crazy, but fun (she completely flips if you let Watcher X escape, too, because he knows her backstory- I sort of love that. Seeing Kaliyo support a light side option always makes me laugh). My Agent treats Temple like her protégé, so I've come to like Temple too- and my Agent is a healing operative, so she's actually my best choice in the field (ranged DPS companions have slightly higher damage output then melee DPS because of less running around- sorry, Vector, you're still my favorite anyway). On the other hand, I'm just sort of 'okay' with Kira, and Vette, Mako and Ashara actively annoy me. I remember not minding Elena much, though. Oh, and the last Agent companion, but... yes. Hm. Risha and Sparr over on Smuggler side are alright- Risha is a bit of a bitch, but she's supposed to be, and Sparr doesn't have much to say, but she usually amuses me when she talks. But I do tend to like male companions better then female ones, especially romancable companions. (On the other side, like I said, I'd take Risha and Sparr over Corso anyday. I might take Baodawr or whatever his dumb wookie name is over Corso anyday.)

I don't think I'll mind going DS Trooper, even though it is Republic. 'In order to beat the Empire, we need to think like the Empire' theory. She'll be fanatically loyal to the Republic, just... her vision of the republic. Which will probably align well with Garza, who I've always thought was sort of psycho, personally. The problem is Aric will probably Not Approve of much of this. Will probably have to do a lot of companion juggling. "Come help me with the fight, then, uh, go do a crew mission while I talk to the defeated enemy, okay dear?"

Random thought: Khem is quite possibly the easiest companion to get affection with in the world (followed by T7- "JEDI YAYYYYY"). "Murder and mayhem await!" +32, +32. "Now you'll see what a Sith can do." +32, +32. "Yaaaaaaaaaawn." +32, +32. He seriously likes every crazy, psychotic, bitchy, complainy, DARK SIDE option that exists. I'm having a harder time figuring out how to please Andry. He's got 7000 influence, so it's not like I'm doing badly, but obviously I want to max him. On Hoth, talking to the Commander and Captain about the Talz- "Yay I want to fight the Talz", -2. "So now you want me to fight starving, angry, pissed off Talz? lolz no," -2. Only the generic questioning choices got me through that conversation without losing affection. What, is he like, so neutral about the Talz that he just wants nothing to do with them? I didn't quite get that one.

"Do I want this brown robe, or THAT brown robe?" Very tough choices.

For those of us who still have a Jedi T-shirt and leggins on (in our favorite neutral shade with off-white accents), putting on a robe will prompt an article on Yahoo. "Thousands of Jedi Celebs were Spotted in Brown Robes. See Who Wore it Better!"

The Sith Warrior equipment gets better. And Smuggler can use Bounty Tracker armor since the beginning. http://tor-fashion.com/bounty-tracker/ Just buy it and send it from your main (its bound to legacy). I like it very much, though I would personally use different boots.

Still, TOR kind of has big problems with replayability. Especially if you are not a subscriber and so you need to finish most of the sidequests. Its kind of shame that most of them are so boring (collect 5 of something etc.).

Still, TOR kind of has big problems with replayability. Especially if you are not a subscriber and so you need to finish most of the sidequests. Its kind of shame that most of them are so boring (collect 5 of something etc.).

I am not a fan of giving strange Bioware people my credit card number, but I eventually subscribed via PayPal, and it seems safe enough. The costs are about 13 dollars a month now, so it's pretty tolerable. And the replayability value goes up steeply.

For example, yesterday I played Smuggler on Coruscant, class quests and a few extra ones just to see if they fit the non-Republic person that my smuggler is(she's a free agent, after all), and it was pretty fast and replayable. Well, I kept lingering at every node, because I chose three gathering crew skills(bioanalysis, scavenging, slicing), but I remembered Twani's advice and tried not to approach any nodes that had other people nearby(I don't go out of my way to steal stuff, but I never paid attention before, either, so I will now).

By the way, is there a way to gather nodes yourself by default, not have your companion do it? It's incredibly annoying when I order Corso to slice a safe, and instead he goes to fight in combat or whatever he does.

Speaking of replayablity, all this talk about sexy Jedi brown robes(hahaha!!! :D ) finally got me - I created my eighth character, a Jedi Consular(soon-to-be-Shadow). Since I'm a hopeless girly girl, I spent some money on Galactic Trade Network and bought a new hairstyle/hair color, so now she's a beauty with a long cream-colored braid and beautiful blue eyes(my main character is a carbon copy of me, with brown care haircut and brown eyes, so I decided to live a little).

The story's pretty boring so far, yes. But I was prepared. So I got her to level 5, got a quest to go-you-know-where, get-you-know-what(some Jedi ruins), and left her to gather rest XP in a cantina room.

(And the light side got the better of me again, so I fear all my Republic girls are hopelessly good. Alas).

(And I can finally choose Synthweaving for her crew skill and put all those recipes to use(not that it's very useful - Cybertech and Artfice and Armstech are much better for levelling, but I want all skills in my grasp).

I'm probably going to get some new and cool clothes for my chars after they reach level 55, but not right now. I'm happy for my Jedi Knight/Inquisitor/Agent to wear basic typical lower level robes, because they look good. Other characters... I'll wait and see. And credits are kind of tight - I just can't afford a 2-mil dress set because it "looks good". Buying a gizka pet for 10000, though - yes, that's all me. :D Because gizka rock! Love them dearly since KOTOR 1.

And, yeah, nice trenchcoat. And nice Trooper armor - my Bounty Hunter says hi! :)

As for the companions... I got Risha for my Smuggler, but she's not officially in party yet - she just hangs around my brand new GTN terminal on the ship. I think she's nice - a bitch, yes, but it's a pleasant change. I love her and Kalyio - they're awfully insecure and you want to hug them and cuddle with them and kill their ex-boyfriends for them. Ahem. Sorry. Kaliyo's quest has this effect for me.

Aric Jordan's surprisingly Dark Side - I think even Elara's more light side than him, because he constantly supports general Garza's dark decisions(privately, I think the general is a complete genocidal psycho - alas, I've youtubed the finale, and you can't report her for that. But in my headcanon, I'm using SIS, Republic Intelligence and Jonas to dig up dirt on her and force her to retire).

And Khem - oh, Khem's wonderful! I admit, I got tons of disapproval in the earlier game, but once I got the hang of it - yep, easy as pie. "Yawn", "[shock him]", "Murder, death, kill! Murder, death, kill! MYAHAHAHAHA!" I with I could get him a Lilacor.

Andronicus pretty much supports "he's betrayed you? Let's gut the bastard!", "Let's gut the bastard!" and "What? Yes. No. Let's gut the bastard!", I think. Also, for some reason, he doesn't like shocking innocent girls, so I take Khem with me for that. But I'm not bothered by Andronicus - he's going to be my main companion throughout the game, so his approval will pick up. Heh, I am terribly sentimental - I ALWAYS take my romance companion with me, every time. Trooper? Aric. Agent? Vector(and I don't care that Lokin's a healer, though I miss Kaliyo). Sith Warrior? Malavai Quinn, without question.

I'm nearing legacy level 15, so I look forward to personal starship travel, too.

By the way, there's another thing that helps all the players greatly, especially free-to-play ones(like me in the beginning) - guilds.

The guild (for a non-55-level-player like me) is basically

- a place where you can see one more chat(green) in your chat window;

- a place where you get 10%+ xp(roughly, it means becoming level 22 at one point instead of level 20, and, yes, that's a big difference);

- and sometimes you can do various group activities together with your group mates(heroic quests, flashpoints and such, though you normally get better luck just asking for help in a heroic in your regular chat).

So, I joined the same Russian guild for all my Imperials. It's a very cool guild, but people are mostly doing high-level stuff, so I just sit quietly and listen to chat and enjoy my cool tag(the guild is called MECTb CUTXOB, so, yeah, cool). I'm going to participate once I'm level 55(or I help guildmates when I see them out on the planets), but for now I just listen to the chat, and the chat's pretty silent.

Same for two different Russian guilds I joined for my Trooper and Knight - good people, but high-level players mostly; will help in ops later, but I'm way too low a level. So I decided to go the total random way with other two characters: with my Smuggler and Jedi Consular, I joined the first guild that was spamming recruting in the chat(I asked in the chat for the invite). Nice and easy - hello, 10% xp bonus! And their chats are very lively and full of newbies, so it's kind of nice, too. :D

EDIT: Heh, remembered one thing. When my new Jedi Consular, Vergera, joined the chat, she asked if there was a Russian guild for a new Jedi girl.

("Vergere" wasn't taken, but it was forbidden, naturally, since it's a canon character).

I immediately got this in return: "Fact: you're not a jedi. Fact: you're not a girl".

Then another guy added: "Fact: nobody cares."

I laughed so hard! "Fact!" I replied and went on my merry way to chase holocrons. Still, guys who think girls can't be playing SWTOR are pretty funny.

Guilds can be great. I was doing HM Lost Island (its the last and definitely the hardest flashpoint I can do as a preferred) with my guildmates and I was suprised, that they were all older than me (they are mostly guys between 40 and 50). Which was good, because we died many times during the flashpoint and it took us four hours to complete it. So their patience (coming with age I guess) was very welcomed. ;) Funny thing is, they are mostly Americans, Canadians and British but they all knew, where Czech. Rep. is, because all of them have aunts, grandfathers etc. from my homecountry.

There will be always many "angry teenagers" in the game (its not Eve online after all), but all-in-all the community is ok. I somehow never had the inclination to join a czech guild. Though Im often meeting their members.

Yeah, older players tend to be more polite, they would wait for you to complete the heroic, they would normally be very forgiving if you blunder into a pack of mobs, and I love that a lot. I think the community's nice, too. I'm not a fan of ninja-invites(someone invites you without asking, and you've no idea what they want), especially if the invitation's repeated twice(why?), but it seems to be at least party acceptable behavior, and I often go along with it.

But to be honest, I'm not a great fan of building groups or operations, because it requires a great deal of waiting. I'd rather play by myself, enjoy the game at my pace, and check the especially difficult heroic with my char later. Though last weekend I was on Taris with my Jedi Knight, there was a World Boss battle call, I arrived, then another guy arrived, we went through, won, and the entire Op took like three minutes. But that's because other people were waiting longer for the Op to assemble. In Rakgoul event, we've been waiting like half an hour, I had to renew my stims(and everybody 55lvl was teasing my level 29, I kept reminding them there was a booster in SM mode). We did good on the first try, though. Seems like the Op is good when the number of people is max.

Thats kind of the upside of a tank with a heal companion... Sooner or later you will be able to do heroics alone. On the other hand without a dps, every battle can take even minutes. There is another advantage for both tank and heal in flashpoints, because you usually do not wait in the group finder. On the other hand it happened to me once, that a dps changed his role to heal to get to a flashpoint. As a tank I instantly recognized, that something is horribly wrong. :-D And I had gear and hit points way over the requirements (I died like four times). That guy was even trying to convince me, that he is healing me. Even though he stood next to me in every battle doing his melee battle. Crazy. :) One of the dps (who was not great in healing, but he was ok) took his role and so we completed the flashpoint (it was SM False Emperor).

He, unlike Kulyok, I am a sucker for JC's story. Archaeology with a lightsaber, yay! Lvl 6, and about the same point my husband's Jedi Knight is (finished the Ruins #1 quest and sidequests) but he is Lvl 8. I slowed down the mouse, and now can actually play pretty comfortably. Wave-target-slash-throw rocks if they are not dead kindda thing for now.

So, I am kindda hoping we can give a shot to playing together tonight or tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

My kiddo was watching the game for a while yesterday, giving up the Winx Club (don't ask!) and she kept explaining to me how this is a multiplayer game and how I should join other people. She appreciated efforts some folks put in their avatars, lol. And she laughed her heads off whenever I muttered 'show-off!' to any Jedi Knight doing their leaping anywhere near my patch of Tythians.

Yakes, the very first companion looks to be from the 'quirky' batch of BioWARE's Companion Principle. Well, I am patient, I know that he 'bad boy' is coming :)

I have a chat log down, it is really distracting - I have to focus right now on the twitch skills!

Can't wait to play again, either with my hubby or with my Imperial Agent until we can try an MP.

Archived