Clean install and registry path for BG2EE?

Kulyok

I've got a couple of BG2EE-related questions that I think will be useful both to me and to our BG2EE players. First: so, I just installed BG2EE and would like to start modding it, but fortunately, I remembered that it's best to save a "clean" install first - some important files. So, I have a question - which files are these for BG2EE?

And second - for BG2EE installer. I finally realized that our NSIS installers don't have BG2EE registry path embedded into them - I only have

InstallDirRegKey HKLM \

"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\BG2Main.Exe" \

"Path"

- for the regular install. Is it possible to have another, BG2EE path next to it(and what would that path be)? Can you show two paths in .nsi script at all?

I've got a couple of BG2EE-related questions that I think will be useful both to me and to our BG2EE players. First: so, I just installed BG2EE and would like to start modding it, but fortunately, I remembered that it's best to save a "clean" install first - some important files. So, I have a question - which files are these for BG2EE?
Well, it's the files that you are going to edit that you need to have a clean backup... The safest option of course is to copy and archive the whole game install folder and keep all the files in that folders override folder, yes, the EE has other override folders that are even prioritized over the game folders, but the weidu mods don't touch the user folders as it won't be able to locate them.

The only file you are likely to actually need is that chitin.key -file, and the lang -folder, as you can delete the override folder and that will remove the resources, the dialog.tlk in the lang -folder you need to restore and that's about it.

Override folder, lang folder, chitin.key file. Got it, thank you! :) Then again, my override folder is pretty empty. :)
Originally it did not exist(at least in my game), and it doesn't need to... so deleting it while replacing the other two will do.

Does anyone know the string in the registry for BG2EE, by the way?

There is no such thing for BG2EE. The standalone client has a key for itself, but it points two levels above the actual directory where the game executable file and chitin.key are. This means there is no key for the game location itself. Each downloader/client, Beamdog, standalone or Steam has its own way to find the actual game executable file. In addition, the executable file name differs in Steam, at least it did for BGEE: BGEE.exe instead of Baldur.exe.

My personal opinion about using NSIS is that you should probably stop using it. I believe it makes things more complex for players as many PPG mods (but not all) require specific instructions while the rest of mods use of a simple archive or autorun archive. Besides NSIS makes these mods unavailable for people not using Windows and it's also more difficult for people using Big World Project (they have to prevent automatic installation of the mod).

This is even truer for EE games where it's already difficult to tell people where to run the mod installer from. I believe instuctions such as "extract the archive into the game directory, where chitin.key file and lang directory are found", while giving examples of typical locations for Beamdog, standalone et Steam directory.

Archived