[NEW NPC] Saradas Magic 2 [ENG] V_1.6 NOW FOR ToB

Message added by Mike1072,

An updated version of this mod has been provided by @Austin, adding compatibility with EET and classic BG2.

The full list of changes and download link for the new version are available in this post.

His ability scores look fine to me. I wouldn't change a thing.

Well, the ability scores of 19 are considered only fitting to a few demi human, while the over 19 can be condemned as OP in every book under the realm.

But what bothers me the most, is that the suggestions like here:

From the point of a powergamer, you can make him ten times as useful with fewer stat count. Take your average cookie-cutter build with good CON, nice DEX and WIS 18 for Wish spell:

STR 8 DEX 17 CON 16 INT 15 WIS 18 CHA 10 TOTAL = 84

Are flawed, cause the character wouldn't be able to exist, as you can't dual from a cleric to a mage with Int of 15, it required 17 as a minimum.

Now of course, if were we to give the character state like an mature age, the score being below the required, to explain it. But then you could as well make the char a mummy, a good mummy, that only hungers for brains every other night... :D:p

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Hi Saradas, please add you mod to G3/SHS Downloads section or provide unchangeable download link for you mod because the mediafire.com link require manual interaction and cannot be downloaded by BWS. Thanks.

Hello ALIENQuake, I would love to do so but sadly the G3 admins didn't contact me back after they tested my mod. It was not officially rejected but not even accepted, so I guess we are stuck with the mediafire link.

I don't have a problem with his stats, but from the teaser, something about Keldorn's 'voice' bothers me. I feel it doesn't meld very well with his in-game choice of vocabulary.

Thanks for the feedback MissBehave, but could you make an example of the conversation you found unfitting for Keldorn?

By the way, Saradas Magic 2 for ToB is now at version 1.6

I polished the code and added new content. Now Saradas has many banters with Edwin (given that you recruit them both).

The red mage's ego is bigger than ever and will eventually lead him to challenge Elminster himself.

How will that end for Edwin? You will find out following the story and the final cutscene ;)

I will update the download link in the first post of this thread.

Hello ALIENQuake, I would love to do so but sadly the G3 admins didn't contact me back after they tested my mod. It was not officially rejected but not even accepted, so I guess we are stuck with the mediafire link.

I'm kind of in the same boat - just waiting to hear back. In the meantime I've figured out how to use GitHub. Once I got over the initial learning curve I've found it an extremely convenient place to host a mod. It's super-easy to make small updates etc. You might want to look into it.

While I'm here, I guess I'll throw my (curmudgeonly, non-powergamer) voice into the stat discussion: I think 20 WIS is probably too high. I get that 90 total is kind of reasonable - well not reasonable for 2e DnD, but kind of reasonable for BG2, sort of, if you bump up the average with the super-munchkin NPCs and squint a little. But, it's still a god stat. 20 WIS means he literally had god-like wisdom. Does he? From the character bio it seems like he's just a wise old man. Which in my mind puts him in the 16-18 range, maybe 19 if he found a stat tome back in his adventuring days.

But perhaps the better question is this: what does he lose by going to 18 WIS and an 88 point total? Almost nothing, I think. And you will stop getting that knee-jerk reaction from players of "oh great, another silly OP NPC mod." Even reduced, he's still a cleric/mage with 18 INT and 18 WIS... that's completely unmatched, even in this super munchkin-oriented game. Functionally it makes very little difference, as you say; therefore, best to think about it from the PR angle. My 2 cents!

In my mind, for the conversation with Keldorn, I would see it going more like this (to capture Keldorn's "voice" better) -

K - What will you do once our quest has concluded, Saradas?

S - I think I shall return to my house in Sembia. My hometown is Yahann, a quiet coastal city. There I shall finally be able to rest after my long travels.

K - It sounds like the perfect place to retire from adventuring.

S - It truly is, and you are always welcome to visit me if you ever plan on traveling to Sembia, Lord Keldorn.

K - I most certainly will. And, by the way, there is no need for such formality between friends, Saradas, You may refer to me as Keldorn.

S - Fair enough, Keldorn. You will also find that I will have the best Cormyrian wines awaiting you there.

K - It shall be something to look forward to, my friend. For now, however, we must concentrate on our quest. It has not yet concluded and we must not cloud our minds with thoughts, no matter how pleasant, that may distract us from our goal.

S - You are wise, as always. Let us continue on our path.

Or...something like that. I think that just a few small changes in the working sounds more like the Keldorn we know. He is a relaxed man, yet he is not so informal as to say "such titles" and "over yet." As proper as those words are, Keldorn just doesn't speak quite like that.

But feel free to ignore me. This is just my opinion. :)

Saradas sounds wonderful and I am looking forward to trying him. :)

[AMELM01.DLG] is the dialog file associated to Elminster in ToB. I really can't find a reason why the installer wouldn't find it thus failing the appending process :undecided:

you most certainly have another mod that modifies the same dlg. you should try making a clean install of the mod and see if the error persists, or try altering the order of installation

The reason of the error is because I try to install it at BG:EE. Sorry for false report.

BTW:

Then please use SHSForums.net or GitHub.com (currently expecting DoS attack)

Edited by ALIENQuake

The reason of the error is because I try to install it at BG:EE. Sorry for false report.

BTW:

Then please use SHSForums.net or GitHub.com (currently expecting DoS attack)

eheh I'm glad there's no problem with the mod then :)

about shs, I will try to submit the mod to them and see if they accept it. If so I will upload there all my other mods and the new one I'm working on, currently :wavey:

Ericp07, can you link a weidu log file? I just installed the mod without problems so you are probably experiencing some conflicts with another mod.

I've had to nuke and rebuild my BG2 installation, and I'm almost back to the point where I install NPC mods, so I'll try installing Saradas Magic again, and report the results here.

SHS doesn't have restriction, everyone can upload without moderator etc

There's a bit difference though, the SHS's upload system allows anyone to upload a file to the Miscellaneous Release Mods, and a few other categories without too many requirements, except a verified account or whatever it was.

The mod sites also support other, more serious forms of uploads, such as mods with their own official forums, but for those, the requirement of course increase and submitting a request of such to the admin is usually involved. And those can take their time to process. As they usually involve a few more than a person saying "yep". So it's not generally for the small mods.