Fire Giant and Water Elemental animations in ToB

Lu_

For the former (0x7F3E FIRE_GIANT in ANIMATE.IDS) the respective reference in ANISND.IDS is missing. As for the latter (0xEF10 according to DLTCEP), it's not even mentioned in ANIMATE.IDS

So

1) How is this crap handled in ToB?

2) More importantly, can these and like creatures and their animations still be ported to games like BG1 and SoA without ToB?

Animate.ids is not used by the engine, all anims were just hardcoded into it.

I doubt they could be ported to bg1. SoA is more likely.

And even that requires to hacking the BG2:SoA's BGMain.exe's code a bit at least, similar like the Infinity Animations does to the ToB's BGMain.exe ...

Worse luck for me, then. I realized that handling creatures animations must have been hardcoded, yet I had hoped that it was done in a more open manner. Like say, projectiles, -- IIRC in this case the engine first looks for the respective piece of code, but if nothing is found it checks PROJECTL.IDS

As for what Jarno suggests, -- hacking the executable, hmm... being a little familiar with Java and C#, I can make changes to binary files, -- when I know exactly what must be changed, which is surely not the case here

Basilisk is mentioned in ANIMATE.IDS and ANISND.IDS, but the bam files aren't present in BG2. Can I port then animation bam files for say, water elemental copying them from IWD and renaming: MWWEA1, MWWEA1E, .... to MBASEA1, MBASA1E, ....?

...but only if you use an animation ID of 0xEnnn

IIRC, there are empty slots in the 0xE000-0xEFFF range, but some mods might already use them.

Or you could use inlimited slots provided by Infinity Animations. Chances are it already uncludes all animations you were aiming to port BTW. There's definitely some fire giants and water elementals present, not sure if precisely the ones you wanted to port though.

The problem is, I am trying to do it without ToB (which IA requires)

@ Avenger

I cannot use the slot for basilisk, then? It's 0x7100

Not for an IWD anim. You can copy the anim from BG1 and it would work perfectly.

The problem is, I am trying to do it without ToB (which IA requires)

@ Avenger

I cannot use the slot for basilisk, then? It's 0x7100

Not for an IWD anim. You can copy the anim from BG1 and it would work perfectly.

++

I did it several years ago before the release of I.A. and it worked like a charm. Don't forget to copy the bailisks bmp files (palettes for each kind of basilisk). I don't remember if there are one or two bmp files. Just check them : they have the same prefix as the bam files. ;)

Archived