Level 1 NPC's or similar for vanilla BG1?

rdee

Well, the Level 1 NPCs have this for the Tutu and BGT 's NPCs in the game... but not for the plain old BG1. For that your best bet is to find the Infinity Engine Save game Editor... IESE or something close to that. And that can only kinda do this job.

Well, the Level 1 NPCs have this for the Tutu and BGT 's NPCs in the game... but not for the plain old BG1. For that your best bet is to find the Infinity Engine Save game Editor... IESE or something close to that. And that can only kinda do this job.

Damn, that sucks. I set all the NPC's to spawn at their level 1 version in npclevel.2da, but its obviously a little inconvenient dealing with the significant level disparities. Is it even possible to create a script that can set their xp to your character's when they join the party for the first time?

Damn, that sucks. I set all the NPC's to spawn at their level 1 version in npclevel.2da, but its obviously a little inconvenient dealing with the significant level disparities. Is it even possible to create a script that can set their xp to your character's when they join the party for the first time?
Well you could just use the CLUAConsole... and say:
 CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP("1000") 

At level 2, and so forth... and yes, you can make a script extension with weidu that sets the joiners xp to be close that of the player character.

The basic script feature is actually in there in the level 1 NPCs archive: level1npcs-v1.9.exe\level1npcs\xpmod/fjxpmooc.baf file if you open the acrhive with Winrar and then open the file with Notepad. It's only 3000 lines long... :D ... it utilizes invisible creature and blah plah plah, you might not want to do so, as setting up the XP yourself is far easier.

And there's one additional way to go about this, but it involves restoring the npclevel.2da -file, and then editing the existant first level creatures so that they are all the actual creature, as you can save the creature with multiple names, but so that the creature has it's xp set to so that it immidiatelly levels up when it joins the party.

The last suggestion sounds best, as i wanted to avoid manually setting the exp in clua or the save files. So you're basically suggesting to set all the multiple npc creature files to level 1, but grant them an experience equivalent to their class level?

The last suggestion sounds best, as i wanted to avoid manually setting the exp in clua or the save files. So you're basically suggesting to set all the multiple npc creature files to level 1, but grant them an experience equivalent to their class level?
Well setting their stats and level to the Level 1 equalent... it's probably easiest if you copy the level 1 version of the NPC and use it to override the higher level ones and then just add the ammount of XP to they had on the higher level.

This will ensure that the NPC doesn't get any extra bonuses that occur when you just put the level to one while the character already has bonuses from leveling up.

Ouh, there's one exception and that is... the woman warrios... she is in NEJ... erhm, Shar-Teel, as she is supposed to attack you and the HPs she has... you don't want to kill her with 10 HPs.

Well setting their stats and level to the Level 1 equalent... it's probably easiest if you copy the level 1 version of the NPC and use it to override the higher level ones and then just add the ammount of XP to they had on the higher level.

This will ensure that the NPC doesn't get any extra bonuses that occur when you just put the level to one while the character already has bonuses from leveling up.

Oh I see. Okay, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help.

Well, I went further ahead and made sure all the NPC's had their leveled gold, gear, and known spells. Quick question though, why do certain values in the .cre files randomly change? Specific examples: Jaheira's gender is female in her level 1 and 2 creature files, but in her level 4 and 6 files her gender is set to unknown. Then theres Shar-teel who beginning in her level 4 creature file gains a mage type of generalist. Are these oversights/bugs or is there something else that I'm missing?

Well, I went further ahead and made sure all the NPC's had their leveled gold, gear, and known spells. Quick question though, why do certain values in the .cre files randomly change? Specific examples: Jaheira's gender is female in her level 1 and 2 creature files, but in her level 4 and 6 files her gender is set to unknown. Then theres Shar-teel who beginning in her level 4 creature file gains a mage type of generalist. Are these oversights/bugs or is there something else that I'm missing?
Don't really know.... erhm, what do you use to edit the files ? Make sure to include the version number and so forth...

Checked the cre files in the most recent version and they were still there. edit: Tested it in vanilla BG1 with un-modded cre files and sure enough, if you recruit jaheria at level 6, she has no gender listed on her character page. I'd have to imagine it's a bug.

Yeah, there's a lot of gender bugs and the like in BG1. You should install the BG1 Fixpack: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/baldursgatefixpack.htm (can't guarantee we fixed it but most likely).

What you request should be a fairly easy feature for Level 1 NPCs. Making the whole mod compatible with BG1 would probably involve an insane amount of work, but just setting NPC levels to 1 wouldn't be too difficult.

If someone wants to move this thread to the Level 1 NPCs forum, it won't get buried and forgotten here.

This thread can probably be closed, I edited all the NPC files to do pretty much what I requested thanks to Jarno's help, which is to behave exactly like they do in vanilla BG with the exception of being their base level (usually 1). Not sure if anyone would be interested in it, but I could upload the cre files if there are other purists who are randomly playing vanilla BG1 and want the original experience, but are also ocd about managing their companions health rolls/optimizing stat rolls without having to edit saves/use console.

I could at least store them, I was thinking to use them in a BG1 run that I might make, but I can't say that it will actually happen for sure. You can attach archive files(.zip, .rar and I think .7z) to the forum if you log in and go to the further reply options, it has a 1000Kb limit of course. I usually store my files into the free mediafire account I have. But there are other such sites, so use what you know.

PS, the threads are never really closed here, it could be too much work for the effort of preventing post-necrotics. Näh, that doesn't intentionally make sense. :D

Archived