Suggestions for a New Gaming Rig

Domi

If you can handle Windows 8, you're much more of a computer pro than me. To me Windows 8 is pretty horrible - not just about security options and wifi headache. You just can't do stuff without the START menu, you don't know how to turn it off, you don't know where the programs are, where everything is, and it's... well, frustrating. My laptop's got Windows 8, and I wish it didn't.

Hmm, I don't know if W7 will be an option, I just don't see it as a big deal, as security options can be customized. Hilariously, what brought my rig to its knees was stupid MS virus scan software that was screaming its head off that it is not backwards compatible with XP, and then just trashed the system. Third party software has no problem with XP... Microsoft... yeah. So, anything in the system that allows to cut down on the load times? My main gripe apart from graphics is loading times of 4+ minutes per character/load screen.

An SSD is the most important thing that will cut down loading times. You'll want something big enough to install windows and any of the games where you've been experiencing long loading times on your old system... 60GB is much too small, I'd shoot for at least 120GB (which is what I have with my current rig). Of course, you also want to have adequate RAM but I think 8GB should still be plenty for a gaming PC; 8GB is what I currently have and I barely know what the loading screens look like in most of my games :)

Also while it sounds like you're planning on buying from a local store, if you're willing to order a custom PC online, I'd recommend either Digital Storm or Magic Micro. The advantage with this is you can pick out the exact components that you want and both still offer Windows 7 as an option.

If you can handle Windows 8, you're much more of a computer pro than me. To me Windows 8 is pretty horrible - not just about security options and wifi headache. You just can't do stuff without the START menu, you don't know how to turn it off, you don't know where the programs are, where everything is, and it's... well, frustrating. My laptop's got Windows 8, and I wish it didn't.
Go to the right hand corner(the one in the bottom), it opens the panel at right that has power control (inside the gear/cogwheel looking icon ) etc. most of what you search.

Of course the 8.1 changes that to the start Screen that's in the lower left hand corner. Whehehehhehe.

Local store for us, by the reason of being able to drive right back and do the yelling in person :) Yeah, every new OS will give you a few weeks of 'where the heck the printing option go again?' I don't even want to start on Mac to PC switch. Our whole office went from XP to W7 this year, so there are actual training sessions for it, LOL. And lots of commiseration on the issues of the whole MS Office being Oh! so different now. I still hate new version of Access. I will come to love it, I am sure.

W8 is ok only, and only, if you install Classic shell. @Kulyok: I highly recommend it!

Domi, what did you get in the end? I semi-recently purchased a gaming laptop from Lenovo that's a beast - I like the SLI-gpu:s especially.

Didn't yet. Luckily my hubby managed to rescue the old rig, so it's July or August for our new laptop-desktop combo. Can't wait! I bet the games will run like a charm!

I bet the games will run like a charm!

Näh, I got a quest for you, install the megamod BG2 with BWS and just remove the Generalized Biffing at the end and well generally do everything against the info here and see the game lag like it was a brand new Pentium166. :D

I expected the game to be SWToR/DragonAge:Inq etc.... but the point was to not expect miracles from the machine even if it's specs say that it can run the game at optimal settings. Especially if not optimizing the CPU usage, and with bit of non polished code etc.

If you're still figuring out what you want, I'd think twice about getting a GTX770 video card if you want to run DA2. That's what I've got in my gaming rig. It runs DAO like a champ on max settings, and it does run DA2 on max settings too, but sometimes you'll get weird graphic glitches. This isn't necessarily a performance issue with the card so much as certain textures just rendering wrong (Hightown wall textures, the rust-colored male noble body model, and the female Circle mage robe models). It doesn't happen all the time, and it's generally amusing when it does, but it's something to be aware of. I keep hoping that a driver update will address the issue, but so far, no joy.

OMG, so good to see you, Berelinde! (Waves) ACE! I think hubby is looking at a system with a different video card, actually, higher level (or whatever, that's better). Lol. I am a noob. :)

GTX 770 is one of the best home cards you can get actually - but there are better of course. There always are.

Have you considered SLI?

I like SLI. Run 755M SLI in my laptop(!). With proper cooling it's good fun :)

Archived