Suggestions for a New Gaming Rig

Domi

SLI is a little overkill for SWTOR, and like nuking a mosquito for BG2, but almost needed for ME3 and DA2 (and heavily modded Oblivion/Morrowind) at max resolutions on a larger screen. If you can do it, it is way cool. Actually, it is hot, in that it turns the computer into a mini space-heater, but it is nice to be able to run SWTOR at max settings on a 27" screen at high resolution... doing that barely tasks my SLI setup. Using the two-card setup, I can run through a 16-person ops battle at max settings with all the bells and whistles, and have no worries. No slowdowns even when Torrabo's Courtyard lasers start blasting...

On the hard drive/loading times, the SSD is incredible. Even just using it as a boot drive is a huge speedup - either partitioning or adding a dedicated gaming drive will make life way fun. WARNING: You will become incredibly frustrated with your work computers once you are used to the almost-instant-on of a SSD OS load. I ended up taking my Raptors ('"old skool" for uber-speed) and turning them into my long-term storage drives, as the SSDs blow them away.

I run a Frankenmachine that gets periodic tweaking and parts swap. It is in a venerable CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000 honking huge tower, with the following parts:

Air-cooled except for CPU

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H

CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz 8GB (2 x 4GB) CL9

2x EVGA 670 GTX 2GB SLI

2x Corsair Force Series GT 120 GB SATA3 (1 boot, 1 gaming)

Intel Core i7 3770K 4.2 GHz (UNDERCLOCKED to 3.9 for stability in some older games)

CORSAIR H60 Hydro CPU Liquid Cooling System

2x Raptor 10000rpm 140GB HD (old - storage)

1 500GB WD HD (system backup)

Win7x64 Pro

HP2310m Monitor

It probably costs very little these days - tech curve being what it is, the Top Of The Line parts 2 years ago are generally very much cheaper :)

Thanks, folks! I will pass the comments on to Mr. Domi. Lol, with my newly broken foot (AGAIN!) maybe I will get a rig sooner. Gaming seem to agree with my health more than exercise, who would have thought....

At this rate I will end up having time for ME and DA, after I can finally tear myself away from the addictiveness of SWTOR.

All right! The laptop is in! It ended up being Asus G750JZ :) Looks huuuge! My system is still under construction, but the tech told my husband that it is going to blow my face off. He also could hardly credit the story of a wife dragging her husband into gaming. :)

Archived