Compiling GemRB from source, getting undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail' error.

linnx88

Greetings,

I'm trying to compile the latest GemRB from source. I have all the dependencies, following the INSTALL instructions. Using g++ and cmake + make. Running Linux Mint 16 64x.

Everything went fine until I issued the make command and got to 81% of compilation. I get the following error:

[ 79%] Built target DirectoryImporter
Linking CXX shared module ../EFFImporter.so
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc_nonshared.a(stack_chk_fail_local.oS): In function `__stack_chk_fail_local':
(.text+0x10): undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [gemrb/plugins/EFFImporter.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [gemrb/plugins/EFFImporter/CMakeFiles/EFFImporter.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I found that this is a new feature built into the newer kernels to avoid stack collision. I also found directions to issue -CFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector -fno-stack-protector-all", but this is for C. How do I issue a similar command for the g++ compiler?! Thanks!

you're using cmake, so changing configure.in or configure has no effect. Either change the generated makefile in the build dir of EFFImporter directly or run ccmake in it to change the vars (and rebuild).

you're using cmake, so changing configure.in or configure has no effect. Either change the generated makefile in the build dir of EFFImporter directly or run ccmake in it to change the vars (and rebuild).

Thank you. Using ccmake helped, after I set those flags there! ccmake should be run from the build directory!

I also had SDL1 & SDL2 installed, which is incorrect. So I uninstalled SDL1 and everything worked after that. Also the INSTALL directions might need to be updated to reflect this stack issue.

Having both sdls installed shouldn't be a problem, unless you provided incompatible options.

This stack protector issue sounds like an upstream thing, but we'll mitigate if it stays a problem.

Archived