Some observations from a BG1 playthrough (BG fixpack, BG tweaks, UB)

Hello all. First off I'd like to thank the people behind these mods for their great work, I've had an awesome time rediscovering the game after eight years or so of not playing it at all. I recently beat the GOG version using the mods mentioned above and thought I'd list some things that seemed like bugs or errors to me, not to complain about the mods but because I'm curious about if they are actually the cause, if other people have experienced the same things and if perhaps they are already resolved via other mods (or Tutu/BGT). So here they are:

Kagain's quest - Apparently it should've been finishable with UB, but there was no reaction when I searched either Caravan here and if kept in the party Kagain still gives up the quest after a while.

Repeated introductory dialogue (Nashkel Carnival, High Hedge, Baldur's Gate) - The bragging merchant in the carnival does this thing where he keeps on bragging after first having spoken with him, not letting you look at his wares. It seems random when he initiates the second dialogue (where you can choose to look or not look at the wares) but works consistently about every third or fourth time. Similarly, Thalandyr in HH repeats his introductory dialogue well into the game where you have to tell him that you've heard there's a mage selling stuff in the area etc. The third time this happened was with Varci in BG, where he would repeat the introduction and then disappear (walk out of the house) if you talked to him after rescuing the other kid from the water temple. The fourth and last time was with Brandilar in BG, who kept repeating his until all doppelgangers in the building were killed.

Pathfinding/hit detection problems - In a random encounter near the Gnoll Fortress, Shar'Teel would get stuck on flat ground with no obstacles nearby and unable to move away, until I made other party members move back and forth next to her. Later on in Durlag's labyrinth L3, there's a large room with skeleton archers on round platforms and here there would be invisible walls behind the pillars sticking up next to one of the southernmost platforms and in front of the bridges tying the platforms together. At first I could pass the bridge with Imoen, but on later reloads couldn't, as if the pillar was made solid and affected the layer behind it if that makes any sense. I had to use the teleport code here to get over the bridge.

Getting noticed while looting item containers around people - The game is inconsistent about whether or not people will call the guards on you; Sometimes NPCs really should notice but will let it slide, and other times they'll notice you even without line of sight and being in another room. It seemed to me like Evil aligned characters would not call the guards on you, but I'm not sure if this was consistent either. Is there a rule here that I'm just not picking up on?

Bottle of Wine (Durlag's) - This could be picked up and drunk after killing the Warders, but it made the game crash. I'm guessing it's not supposed to spawn here at all, since it doesn't show up in the quick slot when in-game, only in the inventory screen.

Shilo Chen's quest - There were no Ogre Magi in the area he talked about. I guess killing them before getting the quest made it unfinishable, but I don't remember if I actually did kill the Ogres.

Duchal Palace before chapter 7 - I've read that it can be entered, but for me the game just kept stating the 'you must gather your party' line over and over. No problems here later on though.

Potion of Fortitude - There's a contradiction in its description, where the text states that it boosts CON but the stats say that it boosts DEX instead.

Party banter - I had exactly one instance of this in BG city, where Jaheira flirts dominantly with Khalid (saying something about his stutter), and nothing else. I'm assuming there was supposed to be more of this?

Magic resistances from gear not showing up on portraits/character screen - I didn't mess with this in the tweaks but I remember there being a related feature so maybe that's where it's fixed. It seemed odd that only one ring (40% fire resistance) showed up as an icon on a character portrait.

Wyverns in Durlag's labyrinth - This last one seems like more of an oversight on the developers part than a bug, but you can easily lure these to a door and make them unable to attack you since they can't move through it.

Now hopefully this was posted in the right forum and section. :)

Thank you very much for reporting! It is very much appreciated. Problem is, that I cannot identify the mods behind most of the reported instances. Maybe posting the content of your weidu.log could help with that, in the hopes that people take the time to look at your findings.

Sure, here's the weidu log content:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~DDRAWFIX/DDRAWFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // DDrawFix -> Force DirectDraw Emulation: v1.0

~BGFIXPACK/SETUP-BGFIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Required for all Components/patches: 1 Beta -- Internal Release 0.0015

~BGFIXPACK/SETUP-BGFIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Core Components: 1 Beta -- Internal Release 0.0015

~BGFIXPACK/SETUP-BGFIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Game Text Update AND File Adjustments to Match: 1 Beta -- Internal Release 0.0015

~BG1TWEAKS/SETUP-BG1TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #20 // Weapon Animation Tweaks: 4

~BG1TWEAKS/SETUP-BG1TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: 4

~BG1TWEAKS/SETUP-BG1TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Higher HP on Level Up -> Maximum: 4

~BG1TWEAKS/SETUP-BG1TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer): 4

~BG1TWEAKS/SETUP-BG1TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Larger Ammo Stacking -> Ammunition stacks to 40: 4

~BG1TWEAKS/SETUP-BG1TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3070 // Larger Gem and Jewelry Stacking -> Gems and jewelry stack to 20: 4

~BG1TWEAKS/SETUP-BG1TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Larger Potion Stacking -> Potions stack to 20: 4

~BG1TWEAKS/SETUP-BG1TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Larger Scroll Stacking -> Scrolls stack to 20: 4

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ice Island Level Two Restoration: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Mysterious Vial: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #2 // Additional Elminster Encounter: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #3 // Angelo Notices Shar-teel: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #4 // Finishable Kagain Caravan Quest: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #5 // Coran and the Wyverns: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #6 // Kivan and Tazok: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #7 // Branwen and Tranzig: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #8 // Safana the Flirt: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #9 // Appropriate Albert and Rufie Reward: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #10 // Place Entar Silvershield in His Home: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #11 // Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #12 // Quoningar, the Cleric: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #13 // Shilo Chen and the Ogre-Magi: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #14 // Edie, the Merchant League Applicant: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #15 // Flaming Fist Mercenary Reinforcements: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #16 // Creature Corrections: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Creature Restorations: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #18 // Creature Name Restorations: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #19 // Minor Dialogue Restorations: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #20 // Audio Restorations: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #21 // Store, Tavern and Inn Fixes and Restorations: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #22 // Item Corrections and Restorations: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #23 // Area Corrections and Restorations: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #24 // Permanent Corpses: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #25 // Elven Charm and Sleep Racial Resistance: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #26 // The Original Saga Music Playlist Corrections: v13_120121

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #27 // Sarevok's Diary Corrections: v13_120121

// Recently Uninstalled: ~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Widescreen Mod -> for the original Infinity Engine (CHOOSE THIS!): Widescreen Mod v3.02

~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Widescreen Mod -> for the original Infinity Engine (CHOOSE THIS!): Widescreen Mod v3.02

I did install the widescreen and gui mods (later uninstalled gui) during the playthrough, before starting with BG city but having done the TotSC quests. This caused a bunch of crashes and made it so that I couldn't re-enter candlekeep at all (beat the game in MP using the console and a couple of imported characters). But I don't think any of the things I've listed here were affected by the widescreen and gui mods becauste It all happened before installing them.

And only now I realize your game was original BG1+TotSC? Thank you very much for posting the weidu.log and your reports, I'll see whether I can identify some of the issues for BG1UB.

EDIT: Oh, and about the question concerning party interaction: This is indeed very scarce for original BG1. There are some banters, but they are triggered randomly and it's not very much all in all. That is one of the reasons people like to play Tutu/BGT with the BG1NPC Project mod installed (sorry if you know this mod already).

Kagain's Quest: Worked fine in my game. Upon entering the area (Coast Way, AR1900) a timer is set t one ingame-day. In that time, Kagain has to come near (really near) the dead child at the caravans, otherwise he won't see it and will call the search off eventually.

Shilo Chen: The ogres magii are in the bandit camp area. Did ypu search for them there?

Yeah, TotSC is actually included in the GOG version. The NPC Project mod seems interesting, I'll try it out after beating BG2 if I'm not sick of BG by then.

Well I started up a new game with an imported lvl 7 char and tried both again. Neither worked :/ I had Kagain circle around and examine both caravans thoroughly immediately after recruiting him but nothing happens.

Is the quest supposed to turn out like this in regular BG? (I think this is Tutu or BGT):

As for the Ogre Magi, I thought they were in peldvale or larswood before since one of those is where the "wood of sharp teeth" land mark is placed, but now I looked through both the camp and those areas (their south western areas anyway) and found no magi. Maybe I needed to finish the cloakwood mines instead of teleporting into BG after finding the bandit camp though... I'll try that one again at some point.

Edit: Coast Way is AR2800 in my game? 1900 is the Bandit Camp according to dudleville's guide.

Coast Way is AR2800, indeed. That is where Kagain's Caravan would be. AR1900 is the Bandit Camp where the Oger Magii are, and indeed they will only spawn for chapter 5 or higher, i.e. if the player officially reached Baldur's Gate city, and only after Shilo Chen gave the quest.

I am not sure what the question to your video is. Which quest are you referring to? I had a glimpse but I am not too fond of watching 15 min video if I don't know the actual question.

Kagain's quest is finished in the video, starting at 0:45ish. I'm asking if it plays out differently from a standard BG installation.

I used the chapter skip cheat and could then finish Chen's quest, so that's one problem solved :) Strange for a ranger to have gloves of pickpocketing. The hawk spies he has would've been a cool ranger ability though.

Thanks for the help!

Ah. The caravan in the viceo around 45 sec is the wrong one, not the one in AR2800, so not Kagain's one. I don't see how you concluded it's the finish of Kagain's quest. Coast Way would be the area East of the one where Gorion died. The finish of Kagain's quest (which comes as a dialogue from him) is introduced by BG1UB, so it's not there for a standard BG installation - or are you asking whether it's a difference between the GOG version and a standard version? I am confused.

There is a long discussion about the gloves in the BG1UB workroom, in case you are interested: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,21748.0.html

If it's not this area:

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar2800.htm

Then which area is it? Because that's exactly where you are describing it to be. It sure looks like Kagain's quest in the video I posted, from the description's I've read prior to playing.

By standard BG I meant the GOG version with TotSC installed, as opposed to BGT or Tutu. I thought I was clear about which mods were added in the op but let's list them again to be sure we're on the same page: BG1 Fixpack, BG1 UB, BG1 Tweaks.

My bad - I didn't understand both caravans (the one shown at 45 sec and Kagain's) are in the same area. The quest ending BG1UB provides is only the dialogue from Kagain at 2min55sec, not the fight. This might be from BG1 NPC Project that also adds an end to Kagain's quest.

I understood you are playing classic BG (not Tutu/BGT). I was referring to your question:

Kagain's quest is finished in the video, starting at 0:45ish. I'm asking if it plays out differently from a standard BG installation.

I think I got it now. As I said, the end to Kagain's quest would be only his dialogue about the dead child and him staying in the party.

Archived