IR v4 Beta (last update 20 June 2017)

I like the general approach to stat-boosing items. Replacing "Set Attribute to X" with "Attribute +X" means that you can't massively boost a character's effectiveness with a single item, eg by giving Aerie the vanilla Crom Faeyr.

However, the Champion's Girdle (+3 Strength, immunity to fear) that replaces the Girdle of Fire Giant Strength (set STR to 22) is a bit underwhelming. By that point in the game, permanent immunity to fear doesn't mean that much as everyone has low saving throws plus there's probably several characters in the party that can cast long-lasting spells that make you immune.to fear. Why not keep things simple and make it a +4 Strength item? Not every item needs to be all that special.

I like the general approach to stat-boosing items. Replacing "Set Attribute to X" with "Attribute +X" means that you can't massively boost a character's effectiveness with a single item, eg by giving Aerie the vanilla Crom Faeyr.

However, the Champion's Girdle (+3 Strength, immunity to fear) that replaces the Girdle of Fire Giant Strength (set STR to 22) is a bit underwhelming. By that point in the game, permanent immunity to fear doesn't mean that much as everyone has low saving throws plus there's probably several characters in the party that can cast long-lasting spells that make you immune.to fear. Why not keep things simple and make it a +4 Strength item? Not every item needs to be all that special.

I kinda agree the belt could be made more interesting, but +4 STR is a bit problematic when it comes to game balance imo unless coupled with a revised STR table.

- Demi, may you add another option to IR's .ini file so that the new icons (from the main component) aren't installed? :)

- Also, the Robe of Acid Resistance seems to be lacking the Protection from Acid icon on the portrait.

- I probably can, but may I ask why? Without all the new icons many items will have at least incorret colors, if not wrong item type.

- within IR items have a portrait icon only if they completely match a spell (that's the compromise I accepted, because if it was for me items would not have portrait icons at all). That robe doesn't grant 100% acid res like ProAcid spell, nor it prevent you from casting ProAcid on yourself. Examples of where an icon should be displayed now are Ring of Free Action (grants you full FA and makes it irrelevant casting the spell on the wearer) or Skin of the Forest (grants you +4 AC but cannot be stacked with SR's Barkskin, thus the portrait icon is there).

- within IR items have a portrait icon only if they completely match a spell (that's the compromise I accepted, because if it was for me items would not have portrait icons at all). That robe doesn't grant 100% acid res like ProAcid spell, nor it prevent you from casting ProAcid on yourself. Examples of where an icon should be displayed now are Ring of Free Action (grants you full FA and makes it irrelevant casting the spell on the wearer) or Skin of the Forest (grants you +4 AC but cannot be stacked with SR's Barkskin, thus the portrait icon is there).

I feel that's sensible!

- Demi, may you add another option to IR's .ini file so that the new icons (from the main component) aren't installed? :)

- I probably can, but may I ask why? Without all the new icons many items will have at least incorret colors, if not wrong item type.

I just like the BG2 icons more than the 1pp ones... No other reason (also if you don't want to, it's OK, I'll comment out the line and done ;) )

Cool. I thought you were keeping the vanilla standard, but that's much better IMO (especially to see if your buffs run out).

Demi,

may I ask you why you thought best to have resistance portrait icons displayed only when the protection matches a spell? I could perhaps understand the decision of removing the portrait icon completely, but this "compromise" doesn't sound very sensible to me. The portrait icon is informative of a resistance being active on a character. It doesn't have to be a full protection and it's not made redundant by the fact that such resistance could be further improved by means of a spell or a potion. But perhaps I misunderstood what you have done?

On a side note, may I also ask what is left to do for IR before an official v4 version is out?

Edited by Salk

@Salk, short story: CrevsDaak already answered your question before you made it, look up. ;)

Long story: having a portrait icon for "an incomplete protection" is generally not much useful (you generally remember what you character is wearing, don't you?) while being able to quickly now if a buff has expired is much more important. When you have a permanent portrait icon on you char because of item granting partial protection (e.g. a Ring of Fire Res) you cannot know when a buff runs out (e.g. ProFire spell expires but ProFire icon is still there because of the ring's 50% res).

On a side note, may I also ask what is left to do for IR before an official v4 version is out?

My wildest guess - Readme file + some polish.

Sort of yes. Readme file is crucial. Add to that a few coding stuff here and there (e.g. xbows patching need to be changed) that either Arda or Mike need to do because I'm terrible at that. Unfortunately I've no news from Arda since like 2-3 months, while Mike is around but not really modding.

It's a real shame because I think the current build would already be fine for an official release. :( The only thing that truly needs to be added imo is coding for BG1 part of Store Revision. Small stuff like changing a few specific items within the Main Component can always be done later via hotfixes without interfering.

Very gracious offer, CrevsDaak.

If Ardanis and Mike1072 are not available for doing I do think your help might come in handy.

Demi,

I understand your reasoning behind the decision of showing the icon only when the protection is full but I am not sure I am convinced. The only sensible solution would be to have the icons there and make them change color when the protection is total but I guess that's too complicated a thing to do.

Edited by Salk

@beta testers: right now my dropbox contains a not finished new build, do not download it until I announce its release. It's up for internal tests on the Revised Critical Hit Aversion but it's not complete. I wasn't expecting you guys to re-download it but a couple of players already did and I want to avoid that more of you do. Don't worry, the build will almost surely be up either later tonight or tomorrow.