setup-widescreen.exe will not open.

Darek Death

What I'm using it on:

The Mac version of Icewind Dale hasn't worked in ages so I got the full set (IWD, HOW, IWD2, et cetera) for Windows and I've installed them on a Wineskin wrapper I generated with Wineskin Winery. I'm also writing a Launcher.exe for them so I can have them both on the same wrapper and be able to switch between them without going into Wineskin and changing the run.exe.

Why I am using it:

They work perfectly except for this one graphic glitch; the screen flashes super fast in Fullscreen and I see parts of my Desktop or windows or whatever would be behind the game in some frames, they're jumbled up in some frames, and some frames have random colored blocks spread over the area, but in some of the flashing frames I do see what I should be seeing. I was able to fix this in the first game in Config by turning on the 3D Acceleration. Default OpenGL Driver since the 3D Setup program fails to connect or whatever, and 32-Bit Textures is checked. However there is no option to do this in the Config for IWD2. Because of this I think it might be a frame rate issue. Anyway, I searched online about it and I saw recommendations to install the fixes and tweaks and stuff so I did hoping they'd fix the glitch but they haven't. I searched online more and found an Install Guide which said that Widescreen Mod helps fix graphic glitches which sounded similar to my issue. Also most of the Unsupported Resolution options are grayed out for some reason, so I wouldn't mind being able to increase the game resolution.

What it is failing at:

When I download the windows version from this website I get a single file called "widescreen-v3.05.exe" when I use Wineskin to install it into the wrapper it opens an install window, I use Browse to select the IWD Install Folder (and again with IWD2) it installs then opens another window and in the other window it says this:
WidescreenMod_zps5949e743.jpg
But then does nothing, forever. I gave it several hours multiple times, it will not do anything else. I'm not able to type anything into it or do anything useful with it. When I close the window or tell the application to quit it quits the application. In Wineskin I can then select "setup-widescreen.exe" from the files installed within the wrapper, but when I run it it will fail to open anything. I tried letting it load for several hours multiple times, the application opens but no windows ever come up and it will not respond to the normal quit function so I'm forced to Force Quit it, however the application does not say that it is not responding (its not frozen).

But then does nothing, forever. I gave it several hours multiple times, it will not do anything else. I'm not able to type anything into it or do anything useful with it. When I close the window or tell the application to quit it quits the application. In Wineskin I can then select "setup-widescreen.exe" from the files installed within the wrapper, but when I run it it will fail to open anything. I tried letting it load for several hours multiple times, the application opens but no windows ever come up and it will not respond to the normal quit function so I'm forced to Force Quit it, however the application does not say that it is not responding (its not frozen).

Well, the process that's being done there is the weidu.exe's being updated to the later version. And it fails for a reason.

The reason is most likely your install folder, that's in the Operation System(Windows) protected folders, aka in the Program Files folder. The Windows XP SP2, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 have this quality, ouh, and by the way, the mod installs might have worked, might not... or loosely kinda worked.

So time to reinstall the whole game to a different folder so your actions actually take effect would be my recommendation here. There are other people that have the same thing down.

The version of WeiDU that Widescreen uses is 22900 (v229), but it detected some of your other mods are using a newer version: 23100 (v231). It tried to update setup-widescreen.exe but it couldn't, so it stalled.

All you need to do is manually delete setup-widescreen.exe, then copy one of these other versions (like setup-iwdfixpack.exe) and rename it as setup-widescreen.exe. Then run that file.

It tried to update setup-widescreen.exe but it couldn't, so it stalled.

Can you present any other reason than the Windows not liking the file being modified in the c:/Program Files/<games folders> to the unreliability to update the weidu.exe ?

Cause if the auto update won't work, I would dare to say that any other file modified by the mods that are already present in the override folder won't be update-able either even with the manual update of the weidu.exe(well, the setup-widescreen.exe), leading to bad install of mods that can cause all sorts of bad things.

This is by the way the possible reason the cmd.exe starts the weidu-backup(.exe) ... which doesn't have a .tp2 file associated with it, causing the stalling of the install.

Update:

I've gotten past Wineskin refusing to open setup-widescreen.exe by opening the file through the Install function of Wineskin rather than the Run function. The Install function is used to install things from Mac into the wrapper where as Run is used to run the Windows EXE within the wrapper, since its within the wrapper it wasn't initially apparent. However for IWD 1 I get the same problem as in the image above.

Icewind Dale 2 Issue continues:

In IWD2 it worked perfectly, however the game still has the flashing graphics glitch. By opening icewind2.ini and changing "3D Acceleration=0" to "3D Acceleration=1" the start logos and video run perfectly, it loads the first menu which looks perfect, but then when I select any of the menu options the problem starts again, and returning to menu the glitch is still in effect. Checking the icewind2.ini after shows that 3D Acceleration has returned to =0. I researched this online and I got mixed answers. Most sources say that 3D Acceleration was never added to IWD2 due to time constraints, others say the reason the option isn't in Config.exe is because it cannot run without 3D Acceleration so its always on. However I'm thinking it's the former.

I've tried dozens of solutions to what sounded like this issue online, and none of them worked. Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit won't run through Wineskin at all; likely missing required Operating System files since Wineskin does not contain a full copy of any Windows OS; DDrawFix installed fine but didn't fix the glitch; Running the installer (setup-ddrawfix.exe) without it being in the games install location says to run in the install location, though I couldn't get it to run through the Run function either, which is what gave me the idea to run it and setup-widescreen.exe through the Install function.

Reducing my refresh rate to a lower hertz through system preferences doesn't work either, since the monitor; regardless of what resolution the game is running in; always runs at 1920x1080 60Hz. It works in window mode because then it sets the game to my system preference setting of resolution and refresh rate, but when it goes into fullscreen it presents itself at a lower resolution and refresh rate which conflicts with the monitors refresh rate. I know its not the main subject, but if anyone knows how to fix this issue or how I can set IWD2 to 60Hz in Fullscreen to test if that fixes it it would really help me.

Update:

I just tried Mike1072's suggestion and it worked perfectly, I can now modify the resolution in IWD 1 too. Thank you Mike1072. I set it to 1920x1080 and it doesn't even have those tacky looking black bars like the internet warns about, it just repeats the bars background image which also looks a little tacky but not as bad as a solid black bar would. However the icons were intolerably small. Just curious, could I make larger versions of the graphics and replace them to fix this Widescreen drawback or is it much more complicated than that? My worry with that is if button selection area is separate from the image or something; meaning I'd have to adjust the parameters of the button selection area too; and I'm not sure which file I have to edit to do that.

I tried messing around in the icewind2.ini some more but nothing helped. Increasing Maximum Frame Rate has no effect. Trying to get a fullscreen window by setting it to Window mode and changing Resolution=1024 to Resolution=1920 (like IWD1 has with the Widescreen Mod) doesn't work because it just reverts to 800x600. Changing the resolution with Widescreen Mod to 1920x1080 doesn't work because the Mod forces Fullscreen, if anyone knows a way around Widescreen Mod forcing Fullscreen that might help me too.

Archived