Complaint regarding BG1RE content (resolved)

Glam Vrock

Greetings.

I am not a modder and not even a old member of the community like Dakk and other people so i know my opinion doesn't hold much weight. I just wanted to say that i completely agree with Dakk's post.

Personally, I didn't see an attempt to save potential players from "experiencing" a rape scenario or to save the G3 community from something. What i saw was an attempt to impose one's views onto others and to coerce modders to remove the component. I am saddened by the OP's reaction (especially the hypocritical posts "you are a mature / responsible community blah blah" after shouting and calling names for a number of posts essentially forcing the modders to remove the component)

I too am sorry for the trouble this thread has caused to jastey and other people. I have been playing this game for a long long time and while it is very good by itself, mods have taken the experience to a whole other level and made it one of the greatest games. All this because people like jastey devote their free time to correct bugs and enhance functionality for our benefit. I have the greatest respect for you and please do not let this incident discourage you.

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for posting that khelban12! Very nicely put.

But I'd like to add that you not being a modder nor an old member would result in your opinion not holding much weight - with that I disagree wholeheartedly :) As long as you're polite and can discuss/argue calmly, I find that your opinion will always count here on G3. That's why I think it's a really great modding community.

Again, cheers for your post.

What i saw was an attempt to impose one's views onto others and to coerce modders to remove the component.

I too am sorry for the trouble this thread has caused to jastey and other people. I have been playing this game for a long long time and while it is very good by itself, mods have taken the experience to a whole other level and made it one of the greatest games. All this because people like jastey devote their free time to correct bugs and enhance functionality for our benefit. I have the greatest respect for you and please do not let this incident discourage you.

This is what I saw. But it went beyond removing the component; it affected EVERY component in the overall mod. It caused the modders who contributed to ask themselves: Am I endorsing rape? It caused players who enjoyed the mod to feel guilty for doing so. In particular, Jastey was not only insulted over content that she hadn't written that offended OP, but made to feel guilty for content she had written that noone had complained about.

(You know, the Xvart village genocide is a classic example: you murder the whole village and get rewarded for it by gaining experience, miscellaneous dropped treasure, get to see "flying chunks" as you cut through the natives, and don't suffer any loss of reputation. Endorsement.)

(You know, the Xvart village genocide is a classic example: you murder the whole village and get rewarded for it by gaining experience, miscellaneous dropped treasure, get to see "flying chunks" as you cut through the natives, and don't suffer any loss of reputation. Endorsement.)

In other words; you saw what I did there ;)

made to feel guilty

They chose it (if that's how they felt), nobody makes people feel.

I had my car stolen 3 years ago. It's time to write an open letter to GTA developers complaining about my experience with their game. God forbid I ever play Leisure Suit Larry.

First of all, there's a difference between depiction and endorsement. Also, while I'm not about to defend how the OP chose to bring the issue to attention (yeah, he/she went overboard with his/her tone), that's all he/she did: bring attention to the issue. The mod maintainers themselves admitted that the material(s) in question shouldn't have made it into the mod in the first place, as per the rules they set forth for submissions. Rules they set up (I assume) for a reason. This whole concern for avoiding even the appearance of endorsing rape didn't start with this thread or the OP. Just sayin'...

That's all [OP] did: bring attention to the issue.

Well, there our opinions differ.

If I want to inform you that your house is flammable, I can either

A) kindly warn you

B) set it on fire

Guess what method OP would choose.

That's all [OP] did: bring attention to the issue.

Well, there our opinions differ.

If I want to inform you that your house is flammable, I can either

A) kindly warn you

B) set it on fire

Guess what method OP would choose.

Hey, I'll have you know that Fire Marshall Bill played a very important role in public service!

But, um, yeah, not sure what you're on about here. I already agreed the OP overreacted to the original issue (Dirty Guard encounter in Romantic Encounters). Are you suggesting there wasn't a problem before the OP brought it up?

But, um, yeah, not sure what you're on about here. I already agreed the OP overreacted to the original issue (Dirty Guard encounter in Romantic Encounters). Are you suggesting there wasn't a problem before the OP brought it up?

That is debatable of course but personally i indeed suggest there wasn't a problem.

When you find a mod boring or overpowered you don't harass the mod author, you just do not install it on your game. Similarly if you find this mod offensive, you have every right not to play it. You even have the right to point out that it is offensive to you but, as dakk mentioned and you agreed, the method you do it matters. You can't however impose your views on others and "guilty-ing" (if there is such a word) the modders to remove the component.

Slightly offtopic: There are countless mods for Skyrim that makes women nude (thus one can argue that lowers women and presents them as sex objects). There is another mod (almost 9K endorsements so i guess its pretty popular) that removes the "essential" attribute from children and lets you murder them. Should we ban them ?

Let me for a minute accept that the component was indeed horrible and could harm people that played it. Even if i believed that, i would still be disgusted by the unjust attack on the modders. And it didn't come from a random guy like me but from a "fellow" modder.

Archived