The Girdle of Gender: Crossing Between the Poles

Thimblerig

It's obviously a humorous piece of cursed item from it's very inception in whatever edition of DnD the thing first appeared in, not meant to be taken too seriously (especially in a game where large towns have priests that can remove the condition), and BG treats it in the same vein/tone.

Not saying that the topic of gender identity related issues isn't worthy of serious discusion in real life, but in the context of a BG mod it doesn't really make sense to take it too seriously.

I really liked this component. I've been coincidentally working on an NPC that strongly incorporates the belt as a possible feature--i.e., you can change the NPC's gender with the belt if you wish and the programming responds by changing the voice, the portrait, and alters the dialogue. (Banters became rather different, depending on gender, btw). RE1 reflected the same changes I had noted: dialogue, outlook, and relationship issues. So, maybe I'm reading too much into what is there, but I thought the different characters' changes in perspective were adequate and interesting.

I've always thought the belt was under-utilized given that it seems to be an original part of the game. I encountered it first during PnP D&D and always thought that it would be an item that offered a valuable opportunity more than merely a "curse." To see a mod finally playing with the item and allowing the game to expand its borders a bit... whoa! I've enjoyed your work a great deal in general, Thimblerig, so I trust that you'll handle such a touchy subject carefully. And thank you. I don't think you and the team that put RE1 together get enough kudos for the hard work, anyway.

Oh! And thank for the good wishes. My journey into modding land is going pretty well. She'll be done by x-mas... Yay!

Archived