Is a newer version than v8 in progress?

I will be rude and repeat my post from before, as I really don't understand why everybody wants this "source" of Icewind Dale in Baldur's Gate II v.8
Version 7 (with fixpack) was fully playable, with minor glitches.
If you compare files from v.7 and v.8 they mostly differ in preedited files DavidW reconverted.
Batch and tp2 files have minor differences (mostly bugfixes of reported glitches as noted in readme).
So, if you played v.8, or if you just read buglist, you will notice that there something went wrong in conversion of DavidW preedited files (I think bcs and dlg was mostly problem), and that was OK in v.7
So just take v.7 with 7.13 fixpack, update weidu, tobex and import some things from v.8 tp2, batch files, area fixes, you will have IWDinBG2 max edition, ofc, with limitation of engine.
If you want full EE without limitation, get IWDEE when it comes out.
Cheers!

I'm not averse to uploading v8. It's not zero work (so I can't do it now, in a 5-minute window at an academic conference) but it's not seriously demanding. If I get a chance I'll do it.

Be careful what you wish for, though! It's a mess. While I can see why people play BG2 vs BG2EE, I really can't see why you'd want to play IWDInBG2 rather than IWDEE.

While I can see why people play BG2 vs BG2EE, I really can't see why you'd want to play IWDInBG2 rather than IWDEE.

Well, for the engine. For the TobEx components that can be used with TOB that can't be used with EE. Etc. That stuff can have drastic effects on gameplay, much more so than having to whip out the console and get by a few bugs.

E.g. I don't want to play with poison that goes through Mirror Image or Stoneskin. (And referring to the earlier comments about the goals of IWDinBG2, I highly doubt one of the goals of this mod was to make poison go through MI/SS.)

Wait wait wait why did everyone skip the most ridiculous part ...

Because it's not that ridiculous ... show me a NEW game, or remake that doesn't sell at least on that price... without it being "free" but actually having "pay to win" etc mechanics. Yes, it probably will go down from there... but for that you got to wait.

Wait wait wait why did everyone skip the most ridiculous part ...

Because it's not that ridiculous ... show me a NEW game, or remake that doesn't sell at least on that price... without it being "free" but actually having "pay to win" etc mechanics. Yes, it probably will go down from there... but for that you got to wait.

Almost every indie game on steam

which are, in fact, new games, and not horribad remakes

e:of a game that is almost old enough to drive

E2: seriously its ridiculous to claim that a shitty remake should cost as much, if not more, than a new game that had actual development costs that did NOT consisting of a soulpatch coding the worst engine in history while onehanding a burrito

I'd prefer they fix BG:EE's properly rather than working on a next remake....EE1 is more-less fine (misses a lot of ToBEx features dearly however - we're all spoiled by it.), while EE2 is an utter bug-mess, after so much time. And still no Ascension for it. :(

I'd prefer they fix BG:EE's properly rather than working on a next remake....EE1 is more-less fine (misses a lot of ToBEx features dearly however - we're all spoiled by it.), while EE2 is an utter bug-mess, after so much time. And still no Ascension for it. :(

This.

Edit: ee should be a no brainer.You should be able to do everything you could in vanilla and more (eg tobex plus). But you can't.

My understanding is that these are different teams with different skillsets. The one example I do know something about: I coded the IWDEE starting converter (an EE-ized version of IWD-in-BG2 built with engine modifications in mind) in the fall/winter of 2013. It's not as if Beamdog could have got me to help with BG2EE instead (they don't pay me, and it's not the sort of work I could easily fit into my irregular free time).

I coded the IWDEE starting converter

they don't pay me

? ?

My hat is off to you, but really? You probably (not for IWDEE converter, but SCS being compatible with EE) deserve more pay than half of EE (2) team (I for one, would never consider buying it w/o SCS compatibility, and I'm not the only one feeling that way).

The point is - BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2 - these are old games. Very old, in computer-gaming world. While remakes may have appeal to new players*, for veterans the most important thing isn't zoom, 1PP graphics or bisexual-necro romances. It's modularity, and here the original game with ToBEx, and a gazillion mods released (most of debatable quality but still) beats EE hands down.

All things considered - what does EE offer what doesn't already exist, vanilla doesn't do better (I can live with longish load times), or other RPGs don't simply do better? Sure, now one can mod monk's fists, weapon styles, and few others.

Somehow, I feel as if nobody from the modding world even cares much about it, same as developers (apperantly, am I mistaken?) not caring about their reputation amongst end-users.

They really should release at least one worthwile game before releasing any new games. EE 1 became barely playable just a few months ago with the latest patch. EE2 is still in "hard-beta", to put it (very) mildly. If it takes more than a year (and still not done!) to fix bugs which are embarassing even for a free-to-download mod content, let alone a commercial product; I don't even wanna know what they make out of IWD.

* - EEs look nice. But compared to games being released today (new Dragon Age, Pillars of Eternity etc.) it doesn't even look that nice anymore.

Well, my reason for doing IWDEE's starting converter for Beamdog was pretty simple: in my judgement the IWDEE was the best available opportunity to realise the design goals of IWD-in-BG2.

(I imagine Beamdog would have paid (for IWDEE, not for SCS) if I'd asked but if I'd taken their money I'd have felt obligated to work to schedules or deadlines that aren't compatible with my day job - and that day job pays perfectly well.)

Well, my reason for doing IWDEE's starting converter for Beamdog was pretty simple: in my judgement the IWDEE was the best available opportunity to realise the design goals of IWD-in-BG2.

(I imagine Beamdog would have paid (for IWDEE, not for SCS) if I'd asked but if I'd taken their money I'd have felt obligated to work to schedules or deadlines that aren't compatible with my day job - and that day job pays perfectly well.)

I understand.

All right, I have to ask because all of you bring this up on almost each recent post. Which ToBeX features did not end up in EE? Is it really such a hassle to discard EE's as a whole? I am no expert at this, so this is legitimate question, not a flame starter.

True, there are many mods that are not compatible with EE yet, but there are only few with real value that wasn't converted at the moment, and I mean full versions not betas - BG1 NPC Project, BG1 Unfinished Business, Ascension, Refinements, Item Revisions and Spell Revisions. I could probably add some more, but these are essential to me.

Now let's see:

- BG1 NPC Project - almost done, and AFAIK fully playable. So close.

- BG1 Unfinished Business - this may take a while I think. Don't really know what's the status of it.

- Ascension - It MAY be taken care of, if DawidW and Cuv find some time and will to work on this late this year or at the beginning of 2015. For those who are not willing to wait, there is always BP-Ascension.

- Refinements - this makes me sad, I don't know if anyone is working at this atm.

- Item Revisions and Spell Revisions - so close I think, although I'm worried, if Demi did not eat something that caused him ill :D

Plus, there are more and more mods, that was made strictly for EE's and modders are willing to focus on newer engine. That is my observation at least.

Kreso or Erg e.g are speaking from veteran player point of view, to whom all those little TobeX features matters, and matters a lot. But there are many player's who find zooming, lack of loading screens, compatibility with mobile devices, 1PP graphics and new content very appealing. And what, they are worse kind of players, and know a jack about a "proper BG experience"? I doubt it.

I for one have only one major objection about BG:EE. Lack of voice overs in foreign languages and I cannot grasp why this is being omitted. I find lack of declaration from Beamdog if it will be delivered or not, very disturbing and discouraging.

Other than that EE is an major improvement to me.

Archived