Is a newer version than v8 in progress?

I'd be more than supportive if someone wants to take on IWD-in-BG2, though there's really no 'source' to be had. Both the main package and post-install fixpack are all some flavor of text, be it WeiDU tp2, DOS batch scripting, and maybe some of David's SSL.

Now I'm confused :)

If there is no 'source' to be had, why is there a pinned discussion about the sourcecode?

IWD-in-BG2 sourcecode

Of course, I understand that the latest updates were made specifically for the IWDEE project, but maybe there is a version more up to date than v7 and still fully compatible with the original games (i.e v8 or maybe v9 as mentioned in the discussion linked above).

I'd be more than supportive if someone wants to take on IWD-in-BG2, though there's really no 'source' to be had. Both the main package and post-install fixpack are all some flavor of text, be it WeiDU tp2, DOS batch scripting, and maybe some of David's SSL.

Now I'm confused :)

If there is no 'source' to be had, why is there a pinned discussion about the sourcecode?

IWD-in-BG2 sourcecode

Of course, I understand that the latest updates were made specifically for the IWDEE project, but maybe there is a version more up to date than v7 and still fully compatible with the original games (i.e v8 or maybe v9 as mentioned in the discussion linked above).

Oh right, David's new setup does a bunch of pre-conversion junk. You can tell how often I mess with the core conversion nowadays.

Somewhat relevant to the topic; CamDawg you adorable idiot young buck - do you think there will be a BGT:EE? Either a mod or official release?

I've not had anything to do officially with BGT in many, many years. One of the nice things about BGT being modernized by Ascension et al is that it'll make it easier to adapt to something new like BGEE and BGIIEE. It would be a nightmare if it was still the old school conversion.

Any idea when IWDEE will be available?

I know, yes, and I suspect it'll be sooner than a lot of people think. Some of the devs will be having a playthrough on Saturday on Twitch, so that should give you a pretty good idea of where we are.

And the release date's been announced: October 30.

Erg, I'm with you: not that I hate the EEs (I actually like a lot about them... at least with the 1.3 patch - hello, BG2EE, where are you?)

BUT, BG:EE /= a bug-free TuTu, and BG2:EE /= a bug-free TOB+TobEx+1pp, and IWD:EE will /= a bug-free IWD-in-BG2. People talk about them that way, including in this very thread, but those people are perpetuating a misconception (sometimes on purpose, sometimes unwittingly). If it was true there would be no issue.

TOB + 1pp is a lot better - in some ways - than EE with its cherry-picked subset of 1pp. TOB + TobEx is a lot better - in some ways - than EE with its cherry-picked subset of TobEx. I don't see how that can really be denied. It's not an indictment of EE, just a (sometimes grumpy) statement of fact.

And unfortunately the glacial pace of EE updates leads people to lose faith, as I think Egbert has demonstrated in this thread. I've put up a couple fairly small feature requests over at baldursgate.com - externalize this, include that feature of TobEx, etc - and the admins have been very supportive. But realistically, the chance tha Beamdog would include them is pretty small, and even if they do it would likely be in 1.4, i.e. probably 2016.

I don't feel like waiting til 2016 just to find out whether a vital feature (to me) gets included. So I'll play BGT/TobEx/Widescreen/W_GUI and with 40 other great mods. And I'll play IWD-in-BG2, bugs and all and just plain skipping ToTL, rather than buying IWD:EE. :/

There are many reasons to prefer the originals over the EEs; both Erg (lack of customization) and egbert (feels betrayed by BGEE's launch) have cited good ones. I've never tried to argue that any of the EEs are better or worse, as that assessment relies on a lot of factors that are personal. I'm not sure why this is being asserted though:

BUT, BG:EE /= a bug-free TuTu, and BG2:EE /= a bug-free TOB+TobEx+1pp, and IWD:EE will /= a bug-free IWD-in-BG2. People talk about them that way, including in this very thread, but those people are perpetuating a misconception (sometimes on purpose, sometimes unwittingly). If it was true there would be no issue.

I'm pretty sure no one's claimed any of the EEs are, or will ever be, bug-free, and certainly not in this thread. I will say that IWDEE is better, in its current beta, than either IWD-in-BG2 or IWD+Fixpack in terms of bugs.

To reiterate--there are many reasons to prefer original IWD or IWD-in-BG2 over IWDEE. Bugginess isn't one of them, though.

And I should have seen and responded to this earlier:

But the decision should be published in the G3-News.

(It's very frustrating to test a program, send bug reports, and hear about the abandoning after.)

Yes, mea culpa. We should have pinned a thread earlier about this, and I apologize. While I think David and I have been independently coming to this conclusion for a while, we've never really come together and spelled it out.

I'm not sure why this is being asserted though:

IWD:EE /= a bug-free IWD-in-BG2. People talk about them that way,

It was just in response to this:

IWDEE is pretty much what IWD-in-BG2 would be if I'd been able to meddle with the source code.)

This implies that the EE version represents something like the goal or culmination of where IWD-in-BG2 was going; but I think Erg and others cogently and correctly argued, and Camdawg graciously agreed, that there are perfectly valid reasons to prefer playing any of these games in the vanilla BG2 engine vs. the EE engine.

This implies that the EE version represents something like the goal or culmination of where IWD-in-BG2 was going; but I think Erg and others cogently and correctly argued, and Camdawg graciously agreed, that there are perfectly valid reasons to prefer playing any of these games in the vanilla BG2 engine vs. the EE engine.

Note that my objection was specifically to the bug-free claim.

The implication is otherwise accurate, and intended. IWDEE is pretty much what David and I would want IWD-in-BG2 to become; practical limitations (such as the lack of source) prevent IWD-in-BG2 from realistically attaining that goal. That David or I find IWDEE a realization of this goal does not conflict with the idea that individual players may not prefer IWDEE.

Right; it was a shorthand (and evidently sloppy) way to represent David's statement.

But I do think what he wrote (and what you just wrote) is inaccurate in this way: rather than saying IWDEE = what you all wanted I-i-B to be (contractions of contractions, yeah!), I think it's more accurate to say it is [what you all wanted I-i-B to be]+. Where the '+' represents the parts of the EE engine that are irrelevant to this particular project and which some people dislike.

But whatever, it was a very minor point and there's no sense splitting hairs.

These arguments... matter not much, as the cure for them is simple, DavidW uploading the v8 source code to somewhere(not the v9 that went to the IWDEE creation cause it won't work for us), and giving people access to it. Now I assume he hasn't fond the time for it yet, or has forgotten it the few times he had it, and it could be that it could take a while for him to do all that. Assuming he has even the access to the file currently ... as it just so happens that it might be somewhere on the other side of the world or something. Ah humans... I can tickle the toes of everyone that reads this message. At the same time. :D

Archived