Sword Coast Stratagems v28 bugfix thread

Mad Mate

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=26063&hl=ascension

Just a suggestion for Mad Mate: the above thread makes it sounds like the reported bugs are a SCS issue; if it's confirmed that's indeed the case, might be nice to include the fixes (provided in the thread) into your Stratagems Fix package. :)

This is already fixed. One of the first fixes. :-)

On a related topic, does anyone know how well the latest versions of SCS plays with the newest/revised BP stripped down core component? Apparently BP's author stripped it down so it's (his words) 'much less invasive' and '... simply Detectable Spells and a few BP-specific additions' which makes it sound like it should work fine, but if I understand correctly, SCS's versions of DS might overwrite BP's (which apparently is v 3.1, the most recent version available; not sure what version SCS28 uses) and such.

I think that DavidW said all about BP in readme, and in lot of threads here. I was trying to use it with SCS, and finally gave up, cause I think it brings down more issues, than it is useful (I mean BP+SCS). I, personally, now use original Ascension with SCS, without BP. I might play BP someday, but I wouldn't use SCS then.

On a related topic, does anyone know how well the latest versions of SCS plays with the newest/revised BP stripped down core component? Apparently BP's author stripped it down so it's (his words) 'much less invasive' and '... simply Detectable Spells and a few BP-specific additions' which makes it sound like it should work fine, but if I understand correctly, SCS's versions of DS might overwrite BP's (which apparently is v 3.1, the most recent version available; not sure what version SCS28 uses) and such.

BP has many, many bugs. It may sound "fine" but it isn't. Until it's properly fixed, don't use it. For example, read here. The author states that something went wrong with original BG and that those scripts work fine on EE. They don't (just visit Waukeen Promenade store and the shopkeeper there will cast offensive spells at you).

I do hope BP will be fixed one day, but at the moment it's fairly unplayable. Maybe we should ask Mad Mate to fix it. :D

I might play BP someday, but I wouldn't use SCS then.

Seconded. They may be technically compatible, but the outcome is far from enjoyable. I remember playing a No-Reload where I mixed SCS and BP, up to Watcher's Keep level 2. Number of oddities (certain oponnents being flat dumb, including wizards) was unbearable. I was kind of relieved when my protagonist died. :(

I'd rather beg him to fix a BG2:EE compatible version of Ascension. BP is just too big and too full of bugs.

There's a project that makes the original Ascension compatible with the BG2EE, it's usually not heard about cause ---well not looking the official forum(that's the first thread there), and the people are busy and all that. But it should still be going on.

And if you think that making an pure overwriter mod like the original Ascension to a BG2EE compatible weidu mod that holds a some kind of a standard is easier than fixing a few bugs the BP Ascension portion, then you might be kinda mistaken. As you have no input from anyone. Go ahead try... :p ... now that's not to say that there's no point in hoping the best for both projects.

Hm, oddly enough I didn't see the last few posts before my reply above.

That's rather alarming if what you guys are saying about BP holds true even for the latest version (with it's claims of being 'stripped down', at least the core component)... I'm wondering if several hours of work is for naught once again, and if so this wouldn't be the first time I've had large mods from Spellhold Studios screw up large portions of my install. *grumble*

The reason why I decided to give BP Ascension a try was that I initially was going to skip Ascension altogether for my current install, but had a change of heart and started wishing I'd installed it, but by then I was nearing the midpoint/end of a fairly good sized BGT install. That's when I read the author's claims about the latest version of BP being 'less intrusive', more minimalistic, etc. and I thought 'Aha, I can go with BP's version and not have to uninstall everything!'

I'm going to take your word (Mad Mate and Kreso) on BP in general but I would like to ask for clarification if possible: would your warnings about BP apply even with the latest version AND using only the core component and BP Ascension (plus the BP Ascension versions of the Improved Five) , with no other components of the mod installed?

The reason why I decided to give BP Ascension a try was that I initially was going to skip Ascension altogether for my current install, but had a change of heart and started wishing I'd installed it, but by then I was nearing the midpoint/end of a fairly good sized BGT install. That's when I read the author's claims about the latest version of BP being 'less intrusive', more minimalistic, etc. and I thought 'Aha, I can go with BP's version and not have to uninstall everything!'

Pretty sure it was, you should heavily consider using the latest BWS's auto install, not manually install mods, unless you wish to risk everything ...as there's a good chance that even the basic BWP Fixpack wasn't installed correctly, as several of the fixes are done when the mods are in install, or rather just after. After all that's why you can manually pick every one of the components when you customize the preset compilation.

Pretty sure it was,

It was... less intrusive, etc? Well, great, that's what it says in the documentation, but that doesn't really answer my question.

you should heavily consider using the latest BWS's auto install, not manually install mods, unless you wish to risk everything ...as there's a good chance that even the basic BWP Fixpack wasn't installed correctly, as several of the fixes are done when the mods are in install, or rather just after. After all that's why you can manually pick every one of the components when you customize the preset compilation.

I have specific reasons why I do not use BWS; stopped using it years ago actually.

Anyhoo, would appreciate any thoughts on my last question from MM and/or Kreso concerning the latest version/core plus Ascension only install of BP before I go ahead and start from scratch... I suppose somewhat more on topic in this thread, the issue of whether core plus Ascension only BP plays nice with SCS (Horred claims he tried his best to make his updated version work with SCS) is a relevant question as well.

atm I'm about 75% convinced that I'll just go ahead and start over anyway, but I'm wondering if your reports are based on earlier versions of BP and if so maybe the newest version should get a fair shot to see whether it works as advertised. A smooth running BP that plays nice with SCS would make a lot of people happy I'd imagine.

If you are not playing EE you just want to use Tactics components from Tactics v25 and Ascension from Weidu, I would also use the BWP fixpack (only) before installing the mods (but after unpacking them) to get the appropriate fixes for older mods while unpacking newer mods after you have used the BWP fixpack bat (like IR/SR betas, BG1NPC project prerelease, etc). Unfortunately if you are playing EE you don't have this option, and for BG2 at least, you are missing out on a lot of great mods that are not compatible or are pretty buggy, which fits BG2:EE since it is also very buggy (the projectile bug is maddening).

I have specific reasons why I do not use BWS; stopped using it years ago actually.

If you don't mind, would you say why ?

My advice in this case then would be to minimalize the experience to maximize the enjoyment... as in use a list of known and well adjusted mod list, that you get from another user. And ask for one if you do not have it... and as an addition, in support make a list of the wishes the list should have. Yep, a topic of it's own worth. And then see if the people you wish to get advice from answer... .

I'm well aware of the pros and cons of BWP/BWS, including their Fixpack (which I do use selectively). As for my reasons why I don't generally use their stuff, I prefer not to discuss that here. I will say that I do a fair amount of research before I install mods to minimize pain/annoyance, and to put it bluntly, most mods out there simply are not worth installing in my estimation. I tend to agree with Kreso's assessment of most mods (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56804-kresos-reccomended-bws-mods/ ); a lot of mediocre or outright garbage mods are out there. It's one of the reasons why I appreciate and tend to trust G3 stuff, as they consistently put out higher quality content with good track record of addressing technical issues.

Yes, I'm rather picky about mods, both for reasons of avoiding technical annoyance/bugs, as well as quality of the content itself. Anyhoo, atm I'd simply like specific feedback on the latest version of BP and it's core component plus Ascension stuff only.

So far I've been doing a bit of playtesting with BP v181.4611 core/Ascension ONLY installed and there don't seem to be any problems; NPCs and creatures act pretty much like vanilla BG2 versions (which is as it should be since none of BP's AI/creature components have been installed). I don't see the bug reported above with non hostile mage NPCs casting offensive spells, etc, which I'd suspect are issues for people who've installed BP AI. So far, it looks like things may be kosher, which gives me hope that the installed components will not have issues when I add SCS. *crossed fingers*

I tend to agree with Kreso's assessment of most mods...

Still kreso made his install using the BWS, and you can do your install with selecting the mods and components you wish. You just have to customize the install compilation, and you can be as picky as you like.

This change came to be when the BWS came out of the beta years ago, where you could only select mods, not components. But now of course you can...were you actually aware of this ?

Archived