Unearthed Arcana presents Scales of Balance: a post-hac tweak pack

On 10/15/2020 at 7:51 AM, GawainBS said:

Woodscout of Mielikki with the Revised Proficiency component (the one that gives everyone an extra star) only gets 3 stars in Bows. It should be 4, right?

Yes.  I had a hard time tracking this down because I can't see the weapprof.2da proficiency limits in my game, as kjeron's "Dual Into Kit" mod has changed every value to 7. (Side note to @kjeron: maybe it is worth creating a duplicate table just for retaining the class/kit proficiency limits in a record that players can easily read...)

But yeah, it looks like the block in 122_WPO_proficiency.tpa starting at line 268 might overwrite the Woodscout's bow proficiency, IF you do not install the FnP usability changes. I guess it needs some kind of extra conditional block there... or a single-kit patch added after, which would be easier but less comprehensive.

Easiest thing in the meantime is to simply change it in weapprof.2da, to give yourself the 4-star limit.

Guest Obtuse User

Should poison overhaul be modifying the antidote/slow poison spell to increment the club proficiency? It doesn't seem to be working for me in-game (character continues to take ticking poison damage), and when I viewed the spell effects in NI the only thing they were doing other than visuals/sounds was incrementing the club proficiency. Per Weidu scales of balance poison overhaul was the last to modify these assets, and the only other modifications came from item revisions much earlier in the install.

Unfortunately I can't tell whether this is the intended behavior from looking at the readme or tp2, but it seems odd. Thanks!

It’s not increasing your club proficiency, per se; it is setting one of the higher, bits in that proficiency stat, bits which are otherwise unused by the engine. Spells that apply poison over time are patch to apply the poison more slowly, and if the victim has that bit set in the upper range of their club proficiency stat, the damage will either slow down, or cease altogether. So simply setting that bit should be effective in slowing or stopping poison damage. 

So you might have gotten hit with some really strong poison (like from dimensional spiders) and you are seeing it weakened and are confused as to why it is not stopped altogether; or you are not seeing it slow down at all, which would indicate a bug. 

TBH it is a bit bugged in my own game, and I’m not sure what the issue is. Maybe that component is not ready for primetime...

Edited by subtledoctor
4 hours ago, Guest ragnar said:

Hello, I installed only the component "STAT bonuses Overhaul". Question: my ranger has 18/68 STR. Is it normal? Because in the readme (https://github.com/UnearthedArcana/Scales_of_Balance)  only 18/51 appears.

Yeah, that’s fine. Anything from 18/51 to 18/00 is the same. Instead of 18 STR being split into 7 parts with huge differences, in SoB 18 is split into just 2 ranges, and the only difference is a one point bonus to hit.

On 2/10/2021 at 4:35 AM, subtledoctor said:

Instead of 18 STR being split into 7 parts with huge differences, in SoB 18 is split into just 2 ranges, and the only difference is a one point bonus to hit.

You should split the difference to a 100 range... in addition to the 2 ranges you have, just allow more carry weight by the two-pound, as in one /100 allows the character to carry 2 additional pounds of weight. So a 18/68 STR char should be able to carry 200+2*68=336 ...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
10 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

You should split the difference to a 100 range... in addition to the 2 ranges you have, just allow more carry weight by the two-pound, as in one /100 allows the character to carry 2 additional pounds of weight. So a 18/68 STR char should be able to carry 200+2*68=336 ...

Don't really see the point. Your STR stat is still 18... why should one person with 18 STR be able to carry 398 lbs, and another person with 18 STR only carry 202 lbs? 18/exceptional STR is just a dumb rule, end of story.

If anything I regret making two categories within the 18/__ range. It should just be, plain 18 is this, 18/anything is this plus a little more, and then 19+ progresses beyond that normally.

Proposal for alternative implementation of the Weapon Proficiency Overhaul:

How about if you get combat bonuses for specializing in weapons, and the APR bonuses operate from specializing in fighting styles? This way, for instance, fighters could be competent in a lot of weapons, and be expert with a couple - say, long sword and bastard sword. If they are in a position where they have to use a morning star, they will not be as proficient but they will at least keep their nice fighter APR because it is a 1-handed weapon.

(Dual-wielding style could be an exception: you could get APR bonuses from single-weapon style, and points in dual-wielding could improve the style's defensive benefits. Maybe also differentiate DW thac0 penalties by weapon size, and specializing in the style would allow you to 1) effectively dual-wield heavier weapons, and 2) get a bette defensive boost from doing so.)

Not sure where that leaves ranged weapons...

Thoughts?