Unearthed Arcana presents Scales of Balance: a post-hac tweak pack

Updated to version 5.30.

This is largely a compatibility update to keep everything on the same page among the various mods I've worked on. If you use/plan to use any of the following, I recommend you update them all together to the latest versions:

Guest TwiceTested

SD, I installed Scales along with a EET install and I think something minor broke along the way.  I'm not getting the extra .5 attacks per round for single-handed fighting.  Is there a file I could check or alter in my override folder instead of trying something drastic like doing a re-install?

I AM getting the full 0.5, 1.0, and 1.5 attacks per round for **, ***, and **** proficiency, just not for having two stars in Single-handed fighting.

Also, for the idea of the attacks per round being determined by the fighting style, I like it!  I would think you'd have to improve the bonuses for getting mastery in the weapons themselves, since they don't have APR anymore, maybe adding the increased crit chance to the weapon proficiency, so 4 stars in katana gives you +4/+4 AND +4 crit range (15-20).  Granted, this is a lot stronger than base game, but it would give weight to both the weapons and their fighting styles.

Subtledoctor,

Just want to clarify additional weapon proficiencies.

Component 122 states:

"Warriors receive up the 3 more proficiencies, chosen by dialogue, if their INT score is 11 (+1), 12 (+2), or 13 (+3)."

So a Fighter with INT 11 would receive 5 proficiencies, in total.

But in Component 200, the Intelligence table states:

image.png.c302117b61b52bdba7c3e1c291527703.png

In other words, a Fighter with INT 11 gets no extras (and thus 4 total).

Additionally, where do Bards fit in? 4 to start?

"Warriors, rogues, and priests start with 4 proficiency points; wizards, sorcerers, and shamans start with 3."

Edited by Chitown Willie

Hi Subtledoctor,

I've been wondering, since the patch 2.7 is apparently in the works, I was thinking if Beamdog could fix the issue with the Concentration check that you have mentioned in Scales of Balance readme.

NOTE: I've heard it said that concentration checks are bugged in the EE 2.0-2.5 engine, applying the 'damage taken' value on the wrong side of the equation:

(1d20 + Luck + damage taken) vs. (spell level)

This means that the more damage you take, the more likely you are to avoid spell interruption.

Could you please elaborate it more if possible? Or maybe provide a reproducible step by step case, if that's not too much to ask?

I'll tag @Galactygon, since he is visiting the forum. Maybe this could be added as to-do list for patch 2.7?

Fixing concentration is on my to-do list but I have to familiarize myself with the exact mechanics of it and therefore haven't yet figured out repro steps. It would make my life much easier if you folks can come up with repro steps so all I have to do is relay the ticket internally.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:59 AM, Chitown Willie said:

Component 122 states:

"Warriors receive up the 3 more proficiencies, chosen by dialogue, if their INT score is 11 (+1), 12 (+2), or 13 (+3)."

So a Fighter with INT 11 would receive 5 proficiencies, in total.

But in Component 200, ...  a Fighter with INT 11 gets no extras (and thus 4 total).

I'm pretty sure those are additive. The Proficiency Overhaul gives fighters extra 1st-level proficiencies if they are smart (only for simple proficiency, not specialization - the idea is, smart fighters can use lots of weapons tolerably well); the Stat Bonus Overhaul gives fighters more opportunities to increase their specialization (not just proficiency) in more weapons, over time. This also lets you specialize at level 1, which is an advantage over dumb fighters if you use the Proficiency Overhaul.

I think.

Edited by subtledoctor
Guest Juan Lopez

Hi, when I try to install SOB with EET using BWS Tool it says that the component 122 of SOB is incompatible with EET (something about SOD npcs being unusable), is it really uncompatible or should I just ignore the warning? And is the current version of SOB still compatible with BG2 v2.5?

I have not heard of any such incompatibility... sounds like nonsense. I have played SoD with comp 122, it worked fine; it was standalone SoD, not merged in EET, but I can’t think what the difference is.

Seems like another instance of Roxanne being wrong; or else another instance of Roxanne finding a bug but not telling modders about it, and thus preventing it from being fixed. I would ignore it unless you find more concrete information.

Edited by subtledoctor
On 6/10/2021 at 7:45 AM, Guest TwiceTested said:

SD, I installed Scales along with a EET install and I think something minor broke along the way.  I'm not getting the extra .5 attacks per round for single-handed fighting.  Is there a file I could check or alter in my override folder instead of trying something drastic like doing a re-install?

I AM getting the full 0.5, 1.0, and 1.5 attacks per round for **, ***, and **** proficiency, just not for having two stars in Single-handed fighting.

Also, for the idea of the attacks per round being determined by the fighting style, I like it!  I would think you'd have to improve the bonuses for getting mastery in the weapons themselves, since they don't have APR anymore, maybe adding the increased crit chance to the weapon proficiency, so 4 stars in katana gives you +4/+4 AND +4 crit range (15-20).  Granted, this is a lot stronger than base game, but it would give weight to both the weapons and their fighting styles.

It appears to me that the APR bonus for single-handed is activated by a script (presumably due to technical limitations). You won't see it immediately in the inventory screen when a weapon is equipped. But if you unpause for half a second and then go back to the character/inventory screen, it should show up.

8 hours ago, Guest Juan Lopez said:

Hi, when I try to install SOB with EET using BWS Tool it says that the component 122 of SOB is incompatible with EET (something about SOD npcs being unusable), is it really uncompatible or should I just ignore the warning? And is the current version of SOB still compatible with BG2 v2.5?

Last I checked, Roxanne has component 121 and 122 mixed up but also all the weapon proficiency revamp tweaks (this includes both Tweaks Anthology, not just SoB) are installed at a wrong time, so there are actual bugs in the result caused by a wrong install order. The best longterm solution is to abandon that tool in favor of Project Infinity.

(Also keep in mind that the Sandrah mods are installed last, way after the tweakmods so they will ignore any proficiency revamps which is why she implies all those kind of tweaks are a bugged mess.)

Edited by Graion Dilach
Guest Juan Lopez

Well, I asked Roxanne about this issue and responded the following:

Under certain conditions and dialogue choices and if there is an empty party slot before the final battle in SoD starts, Caelar may join the player's party against the final boss. This is why she is technically constructed like other joinable NPCs and the Scales of Balance mod treats her like those. The issue addressed here is that joining the player is just one of many options and probably not the most likely for most games. Since the mod changes are applied BEFORE the player makes the decision in game, the whole procedure of giving proficiency to your party NPCs will not be applied to Caelar and she will be a weak ally or opponent (unless she really joins).

21 hours ago, Guest Juan Lopez said:

The exact text is: Sod NPCs are made unusable, Caelar forced to level1 

Uh, since when is Caelar an SoD NPC?

Edit - okay I see, you can sometimes recruit her for the last six minutes of the game.

Still, AFAIK nothing in SoB messes with character levels. It’s been a while and I do recall being concerned about that, once upon a time. But I have updated the mod (a lot) and now I make NPCs comport with the proficiency system via dialogues and innate abilities. I’ll take another look to be certain, but I think Roxanne is describing an obsolete version of the mod from like 2 or 3 years ago...

13 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

but also all the weapon proficiency revamp tweaks (this includes both Tweaks Anthology, not just SoB) are installed at a wrong time, so there are actual bugs in the result caused by a wrong install order. The best longterm solution is to abandon that tool in favor of Project Infinity.

This. This gives you a peek at how Roxanne bases decisions on incorrect information, for no good reason other than that she refuses to have simple conversations with modders. Instead we have to engage in this ridiculous game of Telephone to solve problems. 

Seriously, that old BWS rip-off is a bad habit that you should kick. And her forums are a morass of misinformation. Embrace PI, it’s more up-to-date and AL|EN works really hard on it.