Unearthed Arcana presents Scales of Balance: a post-hac tweak pack

Updated to version 5.33. I finally got the motivation to make a serious improvement to the YARAS component. Now in addition to DEX penalties, damage resistance, and casting speed penalties, it can apply a chance of spell failure, movement penalties, and weapon attack speed penalties. And all of this is completely user-configurable. 

As a proof-of-concept, there is an alternate settings file designed to mimic the effects of the Tweaks Anthology “Allow Spellcasting in Armor” component - no DR or DEX penalties, just casting failure chance. If before installing, you copy /Scales_of_Balance/ini/YARAS_CD.ini into your override folder and rename it to “d5_yaras.ini” then you will get something very much like the Tweaks Anthology effects.

(The reasons for doing this are, 1] unlike Tweaks Anthology, this one is compatible with MnG/5E Casting and TnB multiclass sorcerers; and 2] you can tweak this to match your own particular preferences. Want to add just a bit of DR and some movement penalties, like Item Revisions? You can do that. Want to mix a lot of DR with miscast magic, like FPPS used to? You can do that.)

This is really now close to being the ultimate armor tweak mod. It covers everything that CDTweaks does, everything that Item Revisions does, everything that Full Plate & Packing Steel used to do. And it doesn't rely on static lists, so it can work automatically with any new armors added by other mods. However, the one issue it has is, it needs to figure out what kind of armor something it, what enchantment level it is. And some armors make that hard. E.g. there is some armor in my current game, called "Aurumvorax Armor" which I think is supposed to be chainmail +3 or something like that. But there is no "+3" anywhere in either item name field, and the enchantment field at 0x60 of the .itm file is blank. So YARAS sees it as simple chainmail, and sets the base AC to 5. And it is selling for like 15,000gp.

I can make a static list of armors that need their enchantment level set manually - that is easy to do, the code already allows for it and several mod armors are already handled this way. But I don't actually play the game very much, so I'm not likely to catch all these exceptions. So:

1. Players: if you spot an armor that doesn't seem to behave correctly with this mod, let me know!  It is easy to fix.
  2. Modders: if you are adding magical armor to the game in an item pack or for an NPC or something like that, I encourage you to use hte "enchantment" field at 0x60 of the .itm file. It doesn't have the same function as weapons, but the field is there and using it is harmless, and conveys information about your item that can be handy for tweak mods like this one to be able to read.

---------------------------------

This mod update also fixes the bug that prevented you from selling bastard swords and katanas, if you install the weapon proficiency overhaul. 

Cheers. 

Edited by subtledoctor

Subtledoctor,

Just curious - Was it your intention to play "Weapon Proficiency Overhaul (WPO): Overall Overhaul"  in combination with "WPO: Weapon Category Combination"?

In other words, was it your intention to have a Fighter w/ INT 13 (7 Proficiency points) choose from the combined list:

• Greatswords
  • Club/Mace
  • Bows

Or the original list:

• Two-handed swords
  • Bastard swords
  • Clubs
  • Maces
  • Long bows
  • Short bows

Thanks.

Edited by Chitown Willie

Doc, wait a minute. If you tell me YARAS does currently also take into account IR(R) item description template, you may solve my issue with me not been able to update those regexp functions of IR Armor and Item Upgrade components, to play nicely with EE's. 

1 hour ago, Chitown Willie said:

Was it your intention to play "Weapon Proficiency Overhaul (WPO): Overall Overhaul"  in combination with "WPO: Weapon Category Combination"?

The overhaul is designed with fewer weapon categories in mind; so it auto-installs the category combination.

So a fighter will have  a choice from among:

• greatswords
  • long swords (long + bastard)
  • short swords (shortsword + ninja-to)
  • daggers (daggers + darts)
  • curved swords (katana + wakizashi + scimitar)
  • axes
  • flails
  • maces + clubs
  • war hammers
  • staves
  • crossbows (light + heavy)
  • bows (long + short)
  • slings
1 hour ago, Cahir said:

Doc, wait a minute. If you tell me YARAS does currently also take into account IR(R) item description template, you may solve my issue with me not been able to update those regexp functions of IR Armor and Item Upgrade components, to play nicely with EE's. 

I'm not sure I understand. I think YARAS is agnostic as to the description template. It simply looks for the first line in /scales_of_balance/language/%lang%/armor.tra - in English it is the regexp "^Armor Class:.+$" meaning any newline that begins with the phrase "Armor Class: "  (In Polish, currently the only translation, it is "^Klasa Pancerza.+$")

I'm pretty sure both the vanilla item descriptions and the IR item descriptions all dedicate a whole line for "Armor Class: 2" or the like.  Yaras will replace that wiht the new value, and add any relavent characteristics below it:

Armor Class: 3

Damage Resistance: 35%
DEX penalty: -3
Movement Rate: -2
Casting Speed: -4
Casting Failure Chance: 20%

Edited by subtledoctor

There's one issue with YARAS's description though - YARAS drops the modifiers. For example; Plate Armor is listed as Armor Class: 3 but the (0 vs slashing) information is lost from the description, simply because there's no newlines in front of it (atleast on EEs, I'm not sure if classic keeps this separate).

Edited by Graion Dilach
3 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

There's one issue with YARAS's description though - YARAS drops the modifiers. For example; Plate Armor is listed as Armor Class: 3 but the (0 vs slashing) information is lost from the description.

It's also lost from the armor itself  :ohmy: 

So the descriptions are accurate.

Edited by subtledoctor
On 9/19/2021 at 10:56 PM, subtledoctor said:

I'm not sure I understand. I think YARAS is agnostic as to the description template. It simply looks for the first line in /scales_of_balance/language/%lang%/armor.tra - in English it is the regexp "^Armor Class:.+$" meaning any newline that begins with the phrase "Armor Class: "  (In Polish, currently the only translation, it is "^Klasa Pancerza.+$")

Ok, sorry I admit I haven't actually use YARAS yet. I know that IR components add some additional lines to item descriptions and have a patching code to correctly append those lines to any mod added item. Unfortunately this code does only recognize vanilla style variations of item descriptions. I updated item descriptions of IRR for my personal use, but IR patching code gave subpar results adding vanilla style lines (that comes from Revised armors and items components) to newly EE-style descriptions. If the only thing YARAS does is changing AC value in the item description, it should be OK. But I admit, I'm with Graion Dilach here. EE style armor descriptions split AC modifier vs different types of weapons (opposing to vanilla where you have just one value). I haven't quite catch your point about the Armor itself losing those modifiers. Could you please elaborate a bit? 

4 hours ago, Cahir said:

But I admit, I'm with Graion Dilach here. EE style armor descriptions split AC modifier vs different types of weapons (opposing to vanilla where you have just one value). I haven't quite catch your point about the Armor itself losing those modifiers. Could you please elaborate a bit? 

I mean the mod eliminates those little extra modifiers. They aren’t in the item descriptions because they don’t exist mechanically. 

I thought long and hard about whether to keep them (in some modified, more regular form) and whether to have similar variations in damage reduction vs. different damage types. But after thinking about it,  I don’t think they add anything to gameplay. So I simplified things: with YARAS armor just has a single AC value. 

On 9/19/2021 at 3:10 PM, Cahir said:

If you tell me YARAS does currently also take into account IR(R) item description template, you may solve my issue with me not been able to update those regexp functions of IR Armor and Item Upgrade components, to play nicely with EE's

To expand, here is the unmodded BG2EE description for CHAN09.ITM, "Darkmail +3:"

Spoiler

Whether by design or through exposure to intense heat in battle, the chain links of this armor are coal black throughout. While legends usually speak of knights in shining armor facing great beasts, the fire resistant enchantment on this suit suggests equally great, if unheralded, battles with fire-breathing creatures.

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:
– Fire Resistance: +20%

Armor Class: 2 (0 vs. slashing, 4 vs. crushing)
Requires:
 8 Strength

Weight: 9

Here is the same with YARAS:

Spoiler

Whether by design or through exposure to intense heat in battle, the chain links of this armor are coal black throughout. While legends usually speak of knights in shining armor facing great beasts, the fire resistant enchantment on this suit suggests equally great, if unheralded, battles with fire-breathing creatures.

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:

Damage Resistance: 27%
Dexterity Penalty: -2
Weapon Attack Speed Penalty: +1
Arcane Casting Speed Penalty: +3
Stealth, Pick Pockets: -40%
Open Locks, Set Traps: -20%
Find Traps, Detect Illusion: -20%

Requires:
 8 Strength

Now here is the same item with IR installed:

Spoiler

Whether by design or through exposure to extensive military campaigns and battles, the chain links of this armor are coal black throughout. While legends usually speak of knights in shining armor facing vile beasts, the enchantments on this suit suggest equally great, if unheralded, battles with evil creatures of darkness.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:
 Immunity to fear and disease effects

Armor Class: 2
Weight: 40
Requires: 8 Strength

Finally, IR + YARAS:

Spoiler

Whether by design or through exposure to extensive military campaigns and battles, the chain links of this armor are coal black throughout. While legends usually speak of knights in shining armor facing vile beasts, the enchantments on this suit suggest equally great, if unheralded, battles with evil creatures of darkness.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:

So, if I understand your concern, I think that YARAS will not solve it. It inserts itself into the item description but otherwise leaves the description with the same style it already had. If you don't like the IR-style item descriptions, then it must be solved on the IR end. (And, maybe it can be! I'll respond further in that other thread.)

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

To expand, here is the unmodded BG2EE description for CHAN09.ITM, "Darkmail +3:"

Hide contents

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:

Armor Class: 2 (0 vs. slashing, 4 vs. crushing)
Requires:
 8 Strength

Here is the same with YARAS:

Hide contents

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:

Arcane Casting Speed Penalty: +3

Requires:
 8 Strength

Now here is the same item with IR installed:

Hide contents

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:

Armor Class: 2

Finally, IR + YARAS:

Hide contents

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:

So, if I understand your concern, I think that YARAS will not solve it. It inserts itself into the item description but otherwise leaves the description with the same style it already had. If you don't like the IR-style item descriptions, then it must be solved on the IR end. (And, maybe it can be! I'll respond further in that other thread.)

Perfect example, thank you. Unmodded EE plus YARAS would be the optimal outcome for me, yes. Would it work like that also for modded items? Let's say from BG2EE to SoD Item Upgrade or Weimar's Item Upgrade? Does YARAS patch the descriptions or did you tailor all unmodded items by hand to match YARAS style?

48 minutes ago, Cahir said:

Would it work like that also for modded items? Let's say from BG2EE to SoD Item Upgrade or Weimar's Item Upgrade? Does YARAS patch the descriptions or did you tailor all unmodded items by hand to match YARAS style?

It takes the description as it finds it. Pretty much every armor in the game from any source has a line that looks like "Armor Class: ..." and YARAS grabs that and changes it into 3 or 5 or 7 lines. (It can recognize that "Armor Class" line from about 8 languages... but can only replace it with either English or Polish.) Everything before and after that line is completely unchanged. This means with mod-added items, descriptions can be verrrrry uneven. The "STATISTICS" and "Equipped Abilities" lines, and the lines about weight tend to be very different from different sources. YARAS only ensures that the YARAS stat lines (AC, DR, DEX, weapon speed, casting speed, casting failure, and thief skills) are consistent.

One question, why does YARAS change Darkmail's armor class, now that you bring it up? :D

Also, another report. I am using the SoB weapon styles but the dual-wielding AC bonus for smaller weapons throws the game off. When I equip a longsword to my offhand, I momentarily gain the AC bonus of wielding a dagger and it does correct itself after a round or so, but that correction also means every armor piece which would affect my AC are marked as better than what I currently wield (portrait going yellow). This can include a duplicate of the same ordinary helmet I currently wear.

Edited by Graion Dilach