Unearthed Arcana presents Scales of Balance: a post-hac tweak pack

3 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

why does YARAS change Darkmail's armor class, now that you bring it up?

It detects that Darkmail is +3 enchantment (from the item name) then applies the AC for chainmail (from the user-configurable .ini settings), then applies a 3-point adjustment based on the detected enchantment. Some may change, others may not... it has nothing to do with the original AC; it just applies the YARAS algorithm.

When I equip a longsword to my offhand, I momentarily gain the AC bonus of wielding a dagger and it does correct itself after a round or so

Yeah, the nature of the beast is that the AC and thac0 bonuses/penalties take a second or two to work themselves out. Applying things instantaneously led to some effect not being applied consistently.

but that correction also means every armor piece which would affect my AC are marked as better than what I currently wield (portrait going yellow)

I have no idea how Beamdog's weird yellow-portrait thing works, so I can't really account for it. Frankly I wish we could turn that off, I mostly just find it annoying...

Is there any chance this mod or Faiths and Powers could have somehow disabled wizards casting in robes? I've made a list with the stuff listed in your example (in that order, except Song and Silence over Rogue Rebalancing because Rogue doesn't install if its second) and just discovered that seemingly all robes will switch my wizard's ability to be a wizard off. Meanwhile, he can cast in chaimail. Quite funny, but also weird. I don't know exactly where that sort of thing is defined, but the two I mentioned + Item Revisions Revised are the only things touching the robe.

51 minutes ago, Guest Alkaid said:

Is there any chance this mod or Faiths and Powers could have somehow disabled wizards casting in robes?

Which robes?

EDIT -

I just installed Faiths & Powers, and Scales of Balance, and Faiths & Powers plus Scales of Balance together, and in none of those tests did I see anything that should interfere with spellcasting. (I was looking at e.g. clck10.itm, the Robe of Fire Resistance, and clck15.itm, the Robe of the Good Archmagi.)

I have another game going right now with IR + FnP + SoB, but it also has other stuff like the 5E conversion mod, so I can't totally speak to teh combination of the three mods. But I really don't see how or why that would happen.

EDIT 2 -

I just installed IR + FnP + SoB, and I don't see any robes suppressing spellcasting. Must be something else going on with your install...

Edited by subtledoctor

Subtledoctor,

I was surprised to see that my new druid had 13hp at level 1.

Then, I took a peek at the .2da's in Scales of Balance\stats:

hpprs.2da
    SIDES   ROLLS   MODIFIER
1   10       1       6

Was it your intention to boost initial HP? Looks like everyone got a boost:

hpwar.2da
    SIDES   ROLLS   MODIFIER
1   14      1       0

Edited by Chitown Willie

Also, are non-mage classes supposed to start with 5 weapon proficiencies?

FIRST_LEVEL     RATE
MAGE                    3               50
FIGHTER                 5               3
CLERIC                  5               5
THIEF                   5               4
BARD                    5               4
PALADIN                 5               3
DRUID                   5               5

Component 122 documentation states:

"Warriors, rogues, and priests start with 4 proficiency points; wizards, sorcerers, and shamans start with 3."

50 minutes ago, Chitown Willie said:

Was it your intention to boost initial HP?

Yes. This used to be spelled out more clearly in the readme; right now it is mentioned, but not in an effective manner. But it is meant to make the first level in BG1 a bit less frustrating, while stopping HD advancement after 7 levels to make you a bit less tanky in the mid/late levels of BG2

48 minutes ago, Chitown Willie said:

Also, are non-mage classes supposed to start with 5 weapon proficiencies?

Maybe? I might have found 4 profs too limiting, and changed it to 5, but forgotten to update the documentation. 

Yeah, that sounds like me.

Guest Alkaid

Yes. This used to be spelled out more clearly in the readme; right now it is mentioned, but not in an effective manner. But it is meant to make the first level in BG1 a bit less frustrating, while stopping HD advancement after 7 levels to make you a bit less tanky in the mid/late levels of BG2

Maybe I should reconsider the fact that I'm using the hit die to 20 part of the tweak mod if you get too tanky in later BG2, hm. But I'm also using basically all the difficulty-boosting stuff from SCS and don't really want to have to minmax the crap out of my party. Keeping in mind I'm decent at this sort of game but nothing special, would you recommend I get rid of that tweak?

Yes. This used to be spelled out more clearly in the readme; right now it is mentioned, but not in an effective manner. But it is meant to make the first level in BG1 a bit less frustrating, while stopping HD advancement after 7 levels to make you a bit less tanky in the mid/late levels of BG2

Honestly I'm quite happy with that. Even with the condensed weapon lists you still have blindspots and can't use all weapons well, it just means you'll at least be semi-competent with weapons other than the type you're focusing on and aren't quite as hard-locked into one. Honestly it's kind of an unfortunate issue with Pathfinder and 3.5 too with the weapon specialization/focus feats you need to take locking you into only ever using one specific type of weapon when there's so much variety. 

Guest Alkaid

Oh also while I'm here (sorry for double, I can't edit due to guest posting), the CDTweaks module for moving Boo into Minsc's pack doesn't seem to work and I literally only have this and SCS stuff installed after it (+other CDtweaks but it'd be insane if it was incompatible with its own package). Might just be a sign of other issues earlier in the load order though, I dunno. Not a big deal since I don't plan on using him but just thought I'd let you know.

Guest Alkaid

@subtledoctor

I've confirmed that the cause of my 'Wizards can't cast spells in robes' problem is the Yet Another Revised Armor System component of Scales, or at the very least that's the trigger. Would you like me to share my entire modlist up to that point so you can see if it's maybe due to something being altered further up the chain?

Guest Alkaid

Alright, last post until I get a reply since I can't really do anything more on my own, don't know enough about how IE modding functions, but I tried installing only YARAS it on my own as well and it was fine. So there's some sort of problem with the modlist as a whole causing it to break. Copied everything installed here. 

https://pastebin.com/emgbhqCK

Huh. Looks like it might be an odd interaction between YARAS and the TnB Arcanist kit. Bit of a typo introduced recently, something on the wrong side of an END. See if version 5.33.2 fixes it for you.

This new version also slightly rebalances the Weapon Proficiency Overhaul. It lets warriors specialize (++) right at 1st level, giving them a notable advantage (+1/2 APR) over non-warriors right at the beginning of the game. But they cannot reach mastery (+++) until 6th level. So your 3rd-level proficiency will end up going toward specialization in a 2nd or 3rd weapon. This should make sure you have advanced specialization in multiple weapons as you get into the mid-levels, which is one of the goals of this mod. At 6th level warriors can reach mastery (+++) and priests/rogues can reach specialization (++), making sure warriors remain a step ahead of them. At 9th level fighters can max out at high mastery (++++), and at 12th level all warriors get a +1/2 APR boost.

EDIT -

If anyone has a game-in-progress with the spellcasting issue with some robes, you can apply this hotfix mod to your game instead of uninstalling/reinstalling stuff.

Edited by subtledoctor
2 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

This new version also slightly rebalances the Weapon Proficiency Overhaul. It lets warriors specialize (++) right at 1st level, giving them a notable advantage (+1/2 APR) over non-warriors right at the beginning of the game. But they cannot reach mastery (+++) until 6th level. So your 3rd-level proficiency will end up going toward specialization in a 2nd or 3rd weapon. This should make sure you have advanced specialization in multiple weapons as you get into the mid-levels, which is one of the goals of this mod. At 6th level warriors can reach mastery (+++) and priests/rogues can reach specialization (++), making sure warriors remain a step ahead of them. At 9th level fighters can max out at high mastery (++++), and at 12th level all warriors get a +1/2 APR boost.

Interesting - So I'm assuming this rule is no longer in effect?

"However, unusually warriors with an INT score of 14+ receive a "focus training" ability allowing them to specialize in 1 weapon immediately. (NOTE - the focus weapon ability will only appear in EE games of version 1.4 or higher.) And trueclass fighters automatically get an additional weapon of focus, regardless of INT. "

4 minutes ago, Chitown Willie said:

Interesting - So I'm assuming this rule is no longer in effect?

"However, unusually warriors with an INT score of 14+ receive a "focus training" ability allowing them to specialize in 1 weapon immediately. (NOTE - the focus weapon ability will only appear in EE games of version 1.4 or higher.) And trueclass fighters automatically get an additional weapon of focus, regardless of INT. "

I have not removed that. I have also only done limited testing - I was idly working on it when I needed to upload the fixed version of YARAS to deal with the bug mentioned above. So not every detail of this has been worked out.

But I think the idea here is this: you know how currently, with the WPO component, you get several yellow-icon abilities that allow you to gain simple proficiency in a weapon, and then maybe one or two green-icon abilities that allow you you advance to higher levels of proficiency? The goal of that was to give everyone a broad base of weapons with simple proficiency, and a narrow selection of weapons in which you rise to higher levels of mastery.

Well, now I am planning to remove the yellow-icon abilities and give everyone green-icon abilities. Importantly, the green-icon abilities will respect the limits of profsmax.2da in its form at the time of installation. So take a trueclass fighter with 17 INT (something like Roy Greenhilt from the Order of the Stick) with the proficiency overhaul and the ability score overhaul:

• You should get five proficiencies during character generation, so you can gain specialization (++) in two weapons and proficiency (+) in one more... (or, I suppose, simple proficiency (+) in five weapons... but who is going to do that?)
  • Then you will get three "Advance Proficiency" abilities immediately upon starting the game. Most likely, you would use them to bring yourself up to (++) in four weapons.
  • (Now, I'm not actually sure what's working right now, but theoretically you would gain another such ability for the 'focus training' thing at INT 14, and three more abilities from the ability score overhaul. These are redundant and I think I will make sure they are removed. Probably.)
  • At 3rd level you get another proficiency, but your are still limited to specialization; the best you can have at this point is (++) with four weapons and (+) with one weapon.
  • At 5th level you get a bonus 'Advance Proficiency' ability for your high INT; but you are still limited to specialization, so you can have (++) with five weapons.
  • At 6th level you get another proficiency, with which you can finally gain mastery (+++) with one weapon.
  • At 9th level you get another proficiency, which you will probably use to gain high mastery (++++) with that one primary weapon.
  • At 10th level you get another bonus proficiency, with which you can gain mastery (+++) with a second weapon.
  • At 12th level you get another proficiency, with which you can gain high mastery (++++) with a second weapon, and you get +1/2 APR across the board.
  • At 15th, 18th, 21st levels etc. you are bringing other weapons up to (+++) and (++++) to enable the use of a greater variety of weapons.

Something like that. The fine details of the stat-based bonus proficiencies will be worked out in 5.34, and I will also need to adjust NPC_EE to account for the new limits.