Unearthed Arcana presents Scales of Balance: a post-hac tweak pack

3 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I have not removed that. I have also only done limited testing - I was idly working on it when I needed to upload the fixed version of YARAS to deal with the bug mentioned above. So not every detail of this has been worked out.

But I think the idea here is this: you know how currently, with the WPO component, you get several yellow-icon abilities that allow you to gain simple proficiency in a weapon, and then maybe one or two green-icon abilities that allow you you advance to higher levels of proficiency? The goal of that was to give everyone a broad base of weapons with simple proficiency, and a narrow selection of weapons in which you rise to higher levels of mastery.

Well, now I am planning to remove the yellow-icon abilities and give everyone green-icon abilities. Importantly, the green-icon abilities will respect the limits of profsmax.2da in its form at the time of installation. So take a trueclass fighter with 17 INT (something like Roy Greenhilt from the Order of the Stick) with the proficiency overhaul and the ability score overhaul:

• You should get five proficiencies during character generation, so you can gain specialization (++) in two weapons and proficiency (+) in one more... (or, I suppose, simple proficiency (+) in five weapons... but who is going to do that?)
  • Then you will get three "Advance Proficiency" abilities immediately upon starting the game. Most likely, you would use them to bring yourself up to (++) in four weapons.
  • (Now, I'm not actually sure what's working right now, but theoretically you would gain another such ability for the 'focus training' thing at INT 14, and three more abilities from the ability score overhaul. These are redundant and I think I will make sure they are removed. Probably.)
  • At 3rd level you get another proficiency, but your are still limited to specialization; the best you can have at this point is (++) with four weapons and (+) with one weapon.
  • At 5th level you get a bonus 'Advance Proficiency' ability for your high INT; but you are still limited to specialization, so you can have (++) with five weapons.
  • At 6th level you get another proficiency, with which you can finally gain mastery (+++) with one weapon.
  • At 9th level you get another proficiency, which you will probably use to gain high mastery (++++) with that one primary weapon.
  • At 10th level you get another bonus proficiency, with which you can gain mastery (+++) with a second weapon.
  • At 12th level you get another proficiency, with which you can gain high mastery (++++) with a second weapon, and you get +1/2 APR across the board.
  • At 15th, 18th, 21st levels etc. you are bringing other weapons up to (+++) and (++++) to enable the use of a greater variety of weapons.

Something like that. The fine details of the stat-based bonus proficiencies will be worked out in 5.34, and I will also need to adjust NPC_EE to account for the new limits.

Gotcha.

So would you retrofit the existing NPC's with these new rules?

For example, would Kagain (INT 15) receive an additional 3 proficiencies (for a total of 7)? Or Isra the Paladin (INT 13) receive an additional 2 (for a total of 6)?

3 hours ago, Chitown Willie said:

So would you retrofit the existing NPC's with these new rules?

For example, would Kagain (INT 15) receive an additional 3 proficiencies (for a total of 7)? Or Isra the Paladin (INT 13) receive an additional 2 (for a total of 6)?

Ya. Pretty sure this happens already. 

Guest Alkaid
14 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Huh. Looks like it might be an odd interaction between YARAS and the TnB Arcanist kit. Bit of a typo introduced recently, something on the wrong side of an END. See if version 5.33.2 fixes it for you.

EDIT -

If anyone has a game-in-progress with the spellcasting issue with some robes, you can apply this hotfix mod to your game instead of uninstalling/reinstalling stuff.

Yay for finding it. Were there any other errors here? I've fixed all the cloaks manually, but if there are more issues it would be nice to have a heads up.

2 hours ago, Guest Alkaid said:

Were there any other errors here

No, just something addressing the Arcanist kit was applied to all items of type 2, while most of the YARAS adjustments are applied to items of type 2 with animation = leather or chain or plate armor. Moving the adjustments relevant to Arcanists inside the check for animation type should fix it.

Guest Alkaid

Do you think it would be possible to uninstall the magic resistance overhaul component mid-save? Bearing in mind it's last in the order so nothing else would change.

2 hours ago, Guest Alkaid said:

Bearing in mind it's last in the order

Sure, that shouldn’t cause any problems. Items will revert just fine. Only hitch would be in creatures in areas you have visited already - those go into your savegame. So if Viconia is in your party and has no MR, she won’t get it back. Or if you have already talked to Firkraag but have not fought him yet, he won’t get any MR. Etc. 

Guest Alkaid
35 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Sure, that shouldn’t cause any problems. Items will revert just fine. Only hitch would be in creatures in areas you have visited already - those go into your savegame. So if Viconia is in your party and has no MR, she won’t get it back. Or if you have already talked to Firkraag but have not fought him yet, he won’t get any MR. Etc. 

Well, I just met her so I can reload to before I enter the area. Just started thinking more about the MR 'cause it's hard to figure out what I want. Having her as a multiclass Thief/Cleric of Shar (FnP version) is looking a bit tricky in terms of what I can have her do, lol. The weapon usability is surprisingly restrictive. I've never really played around with backstabbing so I might try that, though  I can't take any of the thief feats to increase it.

That “issue” very nicely describes the intended, and working, effect of the mod. 

One star in dual-wielding is supposed to get you a bit of extra defense vs. melee attacks when you use a main-gauche setup but, as mentioned in the readme, you get “no off-hand attacks.” I implemented “no attacks” by simply applying a very high thac0 penalty, so that off-hand attacks simply won’t land. (I think you can still crit, though.)

When you get two stars in dual-wielding, you can make off-hand attacks - which is to say, the off-hand penalty goes away. 

24 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

That “issue” very nicely describes the intended, and working, effect of the mod. 

One star in dual-wielding is supposed to get you a bit of extra defense vs. melee attacks when you use a main-gauche setup but, as mentioned in the readme, you get “no off-hand attacks.” I implemented “no attacks” by simply applying a very high thac0 penalty, so that off-hand attacks simply won’t land. (I think you can still crit, though.)

When you get two stars in dual-wielding, you can make off-hand attacks - which is to say, the off-hand penalty goes away. 

Two-Weapon Style: now called "Dual-Wielding"
– ( ) = No off-hand attacks, no bonuses for dual-wielding
– (+) = 0 to 2 point melee AC bonus; off-hand attack with 5-point thac0 penalty
– (++) = off-hand attack has no thac0 penalty

But  with 1 point into dual wielding, shouldn't there only be a 5 point penalty to thac0, rather than 11? In the images posted in the issue, the character put  1 point into dual wielding during creation.

You need to pick one. You can mix the styles though, in a way like:

[standard subtledoc-suggested install order with Tweaks Anthology before Scales]
cdtweaks:2163;cdtweaks - IWD-Style Proficiencies with Weapon Styles
scales_of_balance:124;Scales of Balance - WPO - Fighting Style Changes
[other preferred Scales components]
cdtweaks:2060;cdtweaks - Weapon Styles for All (alone after SoB)

Edited by Graion Dilach