Unearthed Arcana presents Scales of Balance: a post-hac tweak pack

My family and I are still curious as to why the ability score revisions (SBO) component of Scales of Balance has repeatedly failed to install when we were quite anticipating using that component.  This is the latest Weidu log set from my machine as I've posted elsewhere.  (I'm the one in charge of the installations and maintenance for us.)

EET logs.

WeiDU BGEE.log WeiDU BG2EE.log

Edited by Endarire
1 hour ago, Chitown Willie said:

Hi Subtledoctor,

"Functional Weapon Tweaks" component states:

• Longbows and composite bows have their base APR reduced to 3/2 but do an extra +2 damage.
  • Arrows do 1d5 damage (and thus, 1d5+2 from longbows).

So what's the difference between Longbows vs Composite Longbows with that component?

Thanks!

Longbows do 1d5+2; composite longbows do 1d5+2+[whatever extra damage composite bows already did].  I think it was +2, so they probably do 1d5+4.

Put another way: short bows average 3 damage per hit; longbows average 5 damage per hit; composite longbows average 7 damage per hit.

Edited by subtledoctor
18 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Longbows do 1d5+2; composite longbows do 1d5+2+[whatever extra damage composite bows already did].  I think it was +2, so they probably do 1d5+4.

Put another way: short bows average 3 damage per hit; longbows average 5 damage per hit; composite longbows average 7 damage per hit.

According to the Wiki for composite longbows:

"giving a bonus to damage of +2 (Baldur's Gate) or +1 in (Baldur's Gate II)"

So I'm assuming you were using the BG rule (+2).

Also, no change to THAC0?

Edited by Chitown Willie
14 minutes ago, Chitown Willie said:

According to the Wiki for composite longbows:

"giving a bonus to damage of +2 (Baldur's Gate) or +1 in (Baldur's Gate II)"

So I'm assuming you were using the BG rule (+2).

Also, no change to THAC0?

I don't know.  I literally just added +2 damage to all long bows of every sort, so whatever the composite bonus is in the vanilla game, it is 2 points higher with this mod.

The whole idea of shortbows and longbows and composite bows is kind of stupid - it bears no resemblance to real-life archery.  How the game treats them is pretty arbitrary and how a mod treats them is arbitrary as well.  I did a trade-off of less APR (bow APR is too high to begin with) for more damage; APR fanatics might cry over this but when you think about it, as your APR increases the sacrifice become smaller, while the extra damage per hit becomes more valuable. 

The difference is more keenly felt in the first game at low levels... but that's when archery is overpowered anyway.  This should make you sweat a bit more at low levels.  That's the only desired effect, so I didn't mess with the stats any more than necessary to achieve that.

Edited by subtledoctor

Okay, I've got major updates ready for most of the mods I've been working on.  Lots of fixes and compatibility improvements.  Scales of Balance is up to version 5.21.

This update is relatively small, mostly is just cleans up and compartmentalizes the mod's uses of stats to stay out of the way of other mods a bit better.  Notably, it switches aspects of the Weapon Proficiency Overhaul from using the 4th byte of stat 134 to using the 4th byte of stat 115. 

The update also improves the Revised Stat Bonuses component a bit: now, if a character has a permanent XP adjustment, for example as an aspect of their kit, that adjustment will no longer be overriden by small Charisma-based XP adjustments. 

Cheers.

Guest ArjukKagrim

It seems like Stats bonus overhaul reduces the number of spells with high attributes instead of increasing it.  Is this a known issue or could it be that it conflicts with ToB? I don't have another mod which touches bonus spells 😕

On 4/13/2020 at 5:13 PM, Guest ArjukKagrim said:

It seems like Stats bonus overhaul reduces the number of spells with high attributes instead of increasing it.  Is this a known issue or could it be that it conflicts with ToB? I don't have another mod which touches bonus spells 😕

I'm guessing you did something to alter spell tables after installing the mod.

Also, anyway isn't that part of the mod disabled in the latest version?? I swear I disabled it...

That  "Weapon Proficiency Overhaul (WPO): Overall Overhaul"  ( and others, by the way ) looks really interesting and I'm eager to try it, but not on EE game. Let's make a quick summary:

1. Said component can be installed if you have Tobex. Cool, checked.

2. If you install it two other components come automatically with it in package,  components #121 (Weapon Category Combination) and #124 (Fighting Style Overhaul). BUT latter is tailored only for  EE 1.4+ so it will probably be skipped on let's say, Tutu. And if you want full benefits of this interesting idea it will be good to install Component 125: WPO: APR on Spec which is again made only for EE 1.4+.  Tobex and Bigg's tweaks have some similar options but unfortunately they will not be helpful in this particular case, right? 

Edited by Greenhorn