No log file and weird screen resolution to fill the screen on a Nexus 7 2013

PracticalKat

I've installed the latest version of GemRB from Sourceforge (gemrb-0.8.0-git-5aa84783.apk) on my Nexus 7 2013. Then I installed the Widescreen mod for GemRB on my PC for IWD 2, and copied the directory across to my device.

Having googled around I can get the game working (using mostly http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=25241&page=2). The post about 6 down by psch was really helpful. The one issue that blindsided me was the need to clear out the cache and save folders between installs with different resolutions.

A big part of the problem is that I have not been able to find the GemRB.log file in my main game directory. I've searched and the only one there is on my device is on the bg2 directory installed from the apk. Please can this be sorted out, as I wasted a lot of time with trial and error efforts.

I tried a 960 x 600 resolution to fill the screen (that is 16:10 as far as I can see). But there were still strips on both sides with bits of the game window reflected there (and occasional yellow flashes). In the end I changed the resolution to 1040 x 600, and now it is almost perfect. Why this works I don't know.

Anyway, thanks to all the people who have developed, tested and documented this app. It is amazing to have IWD2 on my tablet! Kudos!!!

If you know someone that wants to do android builds for us, let me know. It's mostly automated anyway. The log issue has since been fixed afaik, but you could just use alogcat in the meanwhile.

IWD2 is much better in 0.8.1 and soon we'll release 0.8.2 which fixes most of the remaining issues with the iwd2 spell system and character generation. This also means that everything is set to start work on full level-up support. :)

I tried a 960 x 600 resolution to fill the screen (that is 16:10 as far as I can see).

This is about display technology, and the fact is as you can see from here, there's no 8:5 display proportions near there, yes, technically the 960x600 is 8:5, but it's not a standardized (vector) display mode, meaning that most of the videocards and monitors were not build to support it as they do the others.

Archived