delay/limited timing mode

subtledoctor

How does this work? If there is only one field for 'duration' of a spell effect, I can use it to delay an effect (with 'delay/permanent' timing) or to set the duration of an effect (with 'instant/limited' timing). But how can you control both timings?

Inquiring minds want to know.

If you must know the specific application, I want to add the Aura Cleansing (IA) opcode on a short delay to certain abilities. Like druid shapechanges: you change to wig, then you have to wait 6 seconds to change back. There's no need for that. My mod also, for instance, changes the Barbarian speed bonus into something you can toggle on and off a will. There's no need to wait 6 seconds to switch back and forth. So I'd like to add an Aura Cleansing after a 1-second delay. I don't want to keep the character in IA mode for any length of time; I just want it to affect him very quickly to reset the 6-second timer. So ideally, a 1-second alacrity after a 1-second delay.

Possible?

Because there is only one duration field within each effect you cannot specify say an effect that occurs at a 3 second delay that lasts one second. You will need to cast another .spl via opcode 146/148 at a 3 second delay that has a single improved alacrity effect that lasts for 1 second.

I'm not sure whether that will still allow a caster to cast another spell if you happen to miss that one second window. In other words, if the improved alacrity opcode instantly "cleanses" your aura when applied or if it only "cleanses" your aura if you attempt a spell or ability while active. That's hardcoded stuff that can only be discovered by testing.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I thought of 146, I suppose it might work. An effect to cast a 1-second IA with zero casting time and no casting animation (possible?) and no visual effects (possible?), and maybe with targettype=7 for good measure... maybe that will re-set the casting timer. Have to test, as you say.

Give the effect a 3-second delay and then just patch it into every single spell in the entire game... and voila! You completely revolutionize the game's basic spellcasting mechanic.

Yeah, I thought of 146, I suppose it might work. An effect to cast a 1-second IA with zero casting time and no casting animation (possible?) and no visual effects (possible?), and maybe with targettype=7 for good measure... maybe that will re-set the casting timer. Have to test, as you say.

Give the effect a 3-second delay and then just patch it into every single spell in the entire game... and voila! You completely revolutionize the game's basic spellcasting mechanic.

Have you coded this ?

I probably could try ... actually did already, hmm now somebody needs to test it... some day. :p It could work... did already myself and fixed it couple times. v0.999 should work, mostly. Try it now from the link on <-that side.

I never got around to coding this yet. I actually changed gears a bit, I figure it would be easier to give permanent Aura Cleansing to every caster, and rebalance casting times, and patch spells with some kind of delay before you can cast another one. Something like how Tenser's disables spellcasting (some other abilities do it too) but for just 3 seconds.

So instead of casting a spell every 6 seconds, you could cast a spell once every ([casting time] + 3) seconds. So anywhere from ~3 to ~9 seconds. And items that decrease casting time would actually let you cast *more*spells more quickly. (They would have to be rebalanced, of course.)

When I have free time (like, next month) I'll take a look at what you made. And when I have even more free time (summertime maybe?) I'll try my own hand at it.

Archived