ALL Gibberlings 3 Mods (plus RR) cannot be uninstalled properly =(

Riot

Hey G3-Team!

I am currently planning to do another playthrough of BG2EE and therefore re-installed the whole game so I can have a 100% "clean" install to work with.

I then installed some of my usual mods (Unfinished Business, QuestPack, Rogue Rebalancing, etc.) and everything went fine until I reached the last mod on my list, SCS. After about an hour without any kind of error message, the installation of SCS seemed to be done as the "second" SCS WeiDU-installer just closed and the "first" said something along the lines that SCS was installed (cannot remember exactly what it said, sorry).

However, upon checking my WeiDU Log I realized that there was not a single entry for SCS. Furthermore, I realized that there wasn't a stratagem-folder in my game folder, either. So I figured something must have gone wrong and uninstalled BG2EE again to start anew.

This time everything went fine until I came to the point to install the G3-Anniversary mod. For some reason the installer told me, that G3-Anniversary was already installed. So I decided to use the option to re-install it. However, then everything went south...

The G3-Anniverary-installer then started patching things from BG2 Tweak Pack, RR, SCS, etc. which come AFTERWARDS in my installation order, meaning they shouldn't have been installed at that moment. In fact I realized, that it was patching MY EXACT custom installation of the G3 Mods (plus RR) from the failed installation I mentioned above (e.g. Imoen w/ mage avatar, Viconia w/ dark blue skin, consistent Breach, etc.). Since I figured something was amiss, I quit the installation and reinstalled BG2EE yet again to get a clean installation. I even used the "Repair Installation"-tool from the Beamdog launcher to be sure. On top of that, I replaced the baldur.exe, chitin.key, baldur.ini and dialog.tlk with the backup copies I made before installing any mods.

To check if the problem was gone now, I did not install any other mods and just ran the G3-Anniverary-installer first. This time I got an error message. But what is more interesting, that the WeiDU installer still somehow thinks SCS, BG2 Tweak, Wheels of Prophecy, G3 Anniverary and Rogue Rebalancing are installed. How is that possible? There are no folders or files linked to those mods anywhere to be found. Here is a screenshot of my game folder and the WeiDU installer, so you can see my problem:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2j1v9sx.jpg

Is there any other way I haven't tried to get a clean installation again? I am not a PC geek, but my feeling is, that there are some files/folders "hidden" in my game folder which I cannot access or see - even when I make hidden folders visible in the folder-options.

Please help me!!! :D

The error in the picture comes from the weidu.exe being updated... and likely having the install folder in totally the worst place on Windows. The folder is protected by the Operation System itself, and so much so that you can't even with admin privileges to create a folder there, try and it's actually placed into the your user profile files, and just for show temporarily mirrored to your location, but the files are not actually in that location, and the game doesn't read those so it's still the vanilla game you play ...

My recommendation is to not use the C drive if at all possible, and if you have to, install the games you intent to modify to C:\Users\<username> - subfolder. It works on Windows 7, but it's actually intended more for Windows 8.1 where it's the only place you can actually edit files.

Did you use a clean mod package for your new attempts of mod installation? Because if the mods still had a full backup folder from your earlier install, weidu will think they are installed. The mods need to be uninstalled properly before reinstalling. If this is not possible, best you extract the mods anew to have them ready for installation. If you know what you are doing, for installation on a newly installed game you can empty the backup folders (but best and safest is to remove the old mod folders from the game and extract them anew.) - The backup information is needed to uninstall teh mods properly, so do not delete them if the mods are installed.

Thanks to you both for your quick reply! :)

The error in the picture comes from the weidu.exe being updated... and likely having the install folder in totally the worst place on Windows. The folder is protected by the Operation System itself, and so much so that you can't even with admin privileges to create a folder there, try and it's actually placed into the your user profile files, and just for show temporarily mirrored to your location, but the files are not actually in that location, and the game doesn't read those so it's still the vanilla game you play ...

My recommendation is to not use the C drive if at all possible, and if you have to, install the games you intent to modify to C:\Users\<username> - subfolder. It works on Windows 7, but it's actually intended more for Windows 8.1 where it's the only place you can actually edit files.

The weird thing is, that I have used that folder for my previous playthrough (in August 2014) and had no issues with installing mods. I am using Vista if that makes any difference.

At his very moment I am re-installing the game/the mods once more, so unfortunately I saw your advice a few minutes too late. But if this install fails again, I will definetly try to put the game in "C:\Users\<username>" and see if this solves the problem.

Did you use a clean mod package for your new attempts of mod installation? Because if the mods still had a full backup folder from your earlier install, weidu will think they are installed. The mods need to be uninstalled properly before reinstalling. If this is not possible, best you extract the mods anew to have them ready for installation. If you know what you are doing, for installation on a newly installed game you can empty the backup folders (but best and safest is to remove the old mod folders from the game and extract them anew.) - The backup information is needed to uninstall teh mods properly, so do not delete them if the mods are installed.

You see, the bold part is the problem...I have absolutely no clue what I am doing. Combined with the fact that I am not a native speaker this makes this whole thing even more confussing for me :D

Therefore I can't even tell you, whether I used a clean mod package for my installation or not as I have no idea what "clean mod package" means. I also don't know where I can find the backup-folders from the mods. So I doubt I emptied them.

Maybe I should describe in detail how I installed my mods, so you can tell me, whether I did it correctly or I screwed it up:

I had still an old modded installation from my last playthrough in August (as mentioned above). Since I wanted to try a different mod set-up I uninstalled BG2EE to get a "fresh" start. However I did not uninstall each mod I had individually before uninstalling the game, if that makes any difference. Then I downloaded the latest BG2EE-Installer from Beamdog and installed the game like always. There were NO mod folders in my game folder, just the usual "data, lang, movies, music, scripts" - so I figured that I had a clean install of BG2EE.

I then downloaded the newest versions of all the the 19 mods I want to install for my new playthrough and saved them in a separate folder under "C:\Users\<username>\", so they are nowhere near my game folder. Then I copied(!) each of the zip- or (in case of the G3 Mods, RR and Item Upgrade Mod) exe-files in the game folder. So I basically have a backup folder with all the mods untouched.

According to a mod installation order I found here (http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26945) I then unzipped and/or installed one mod after another. This worked fine and there were no problems with WeiDU thinking some mods were still installed from August. So I guess I really did have had a clean install and all mods were removed by uninstalling the game. But then I reached the last mod on my list, SCS. The installation seemed to work fine (no error messages or the like), but SCS didn't show up in my WeiDU Log.

So I completely uninstalled BG2EE once more to get a clean install again and start from scratch. After installing the game, my game folder locked pretty "clean", meaning there were no folders beside "data, lang, movies, music, scripts". I then again copied the mods from the seperate folder into my game folder and installed them one after another. And everything went fine 'till I reached G3-Anniversary and the problem decripted in my original post occurred - WeiDU now thinking G3 Anniversary, RR, SCS, BG2 Tweak and Wheels of Prophecy are still installed.

The weird thing is, that the only mods which seem to cause any trouble are those that come in form of an exe-file. The only exception being the Item Upgrade Mod, which is also an exe but installed fine. The other mods that are all zip-files didn't have any issues when installing them. Is that just a coincidence or might that be part of the problem?

Combined with the fact that I am not a native speaker this makes this whole thing even more confussing for me :D

But see, neither jastey or I am native English speakers either, jastey is from Germany* as you are, and I am from Finland. Have fun with that. :D

*(if memory serves, and the Ajantis link in her signature links to the German BG2 community)

After reading your description of your action, I have the slight suspicion that the real problem was a leftover "weidu.log" in your game directory. If after a clean, new game install you find a file with this name, it is a leftover. It should only be in your game folder if you have mods installed, as it lists those (and the installer reads the list, too). Could that be the problem?

Mods should be uninstalled, not just moved to a new clean game and reinstalled. If you don't uninstall them, then you need to delete the backup folders inside the mod folders, and you need to delete weidu.log. Probably should delete weidu.conf as well.

My current practice:

1) Unpack mods into a temp directory somewhere. Put each one in a folder with the mod's name and a number for its place in the installation order.

2) Copy (not move!) the mod's from those folders into your game folder one-by-one, as you install each one in order.

3) If you need to do a clean install, you can trash your game folder completely and start fresh, with no concerns about weidu.log or backup folders IR anything.

This has *significantly* streamlined the practice of installing mods.

Mods should be uninstalled, not just moved to a new clean game and reinstalled...

That's under OSX...

We are talking about Windows Vista. A different beast.

My Vista advice is to either avoid the C drive like the plague infected carcase it is, or disable the User Account Control, and install the games to the "C:\Games\" -subfolders, not to the program files folder that the OS just mirrors to places, while it keeps the original content in the folder.

Mods should be uninstalled, not just moved to a new clean game and reinstalled...

That's under OSX...

We are talking about Windows Vista. A different beast.

Ah, yes, in an Windows (except maybe XP) you should not have these games installed in \Program Files\.

BUT you ALSO shouldn't carry around backup folders and weidu.logs between different installations.

I somehow got it to work - yay!! :laugh2:

Some suggested that the problem might be, that I didn't uninstall the mods properly before I had re-installed the game, hence I approached my issue with that in mind.

So, I first ran the "clean install" option from the BeamDog-launcher. Then I fully installed all 5 mods which caused me trouble. That went surprisingly well this time, meaning I didn't get any error messages. Afterwards I immediately uninstalled them properly in reverse order. Once that was done I ran the "clean install" option 3 times more...just to be sure. And then I just installed all my desired mods (including the G3 mods) according to installation order I linked in my posting above.

...and for some reason that did the trick. Every mod could be installed without a single issue. My WeiDU-log looks fine, too. And as far as I can tell so far, everything works as intended in game as well.

So, yeah...I believe by properly uninstalling the 5 mods, the remains of my previous installation finally got cleaned up for good.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. In the future I will surely not make those mistakes again.

You are awesome, mates! :love:

hehe

you are kinda lazy git. ;f

you can't just reinstall the mods without manually removing them first and then unpacking again into game folder, you know? now you know.

all you have to do is:

1) uninstall the game

2) manually remove (don't uninstall the mods!!! facepalm.jpg) the BG2ee folder

3) install the game

4) unpack all your mods again into the game folder

5) install mods

^ THIS will save you a lot of time. especially with scs.

all you have to do is:

1) uninstall the game

2) manually remove (don't uninstall the mods!!! facepalm.jpg) the BG2ee folder

3) install the game *and make a backup into a .rar archive, so you can restore it from this point on, after just deleting the game folder if you wish to start from a clean install.

4) unpack all your mods again into the game folder

5) install mods

Hmm, the red is so beautiful, and so time sparing.

Archived