Rakshasas and Breach

Just to be sure, by "vanilla" you mean BG2:EE + SCS V30?

Yes.

But, (@Galactygon @kreso) will changing Breach's sectype from 4 to 0 affect anything else? Will scripts work differently?

Scripts will work the same (if the spell is spw513, scripts don't care if it's a fireball you're throwing, it will be used per Breach purposes), I don't know how spell will behave in regard to Spell Turning etc.

I followed your instructions and unfortunately it looks like something went wrong (I snipped out many of the warnings you mentioned).

I've uploaded the DEBUG file here: http://www.filedropper.com/setup-breachier

The full log with all the warnings can be found here: http://pastebin.com/7kXKZ6NZ

I've also uploaded the offending file here: http://www.filedropper.com/cddetect

Thanks again :)

[F:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\setup-breachier.exe] WeiDU version 23800
{setup-stratagems.exe} Queried (pid = 480) version = 23700
Newest WeiDU is version 23800, updating!
WeiDU files in version order:
  [setup-breachier.exe] version 23800
  [setup-stratagems.exe] version 23700
        Copying [setup-breachier.exe] -> [setup-stratagems.exe]: true

Using .\lang\en_us/dialog.tlk

Install Component [breachier breach]?
[I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? i

Installing [breachier breach]
Copying and patching 1826 files ...

WARNING: no effects added to ABZAWAY.SPL

WARNING: no effects added to WEREWYV.SPL

Copying and patching 1826 files ...
ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 144 of 114-byte file CDDETECT.SPL
ERROR: [CDDETECT.SPL] -> [override/CDDETECT.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("CDDETECT.SPL: read out of bounds"))
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [breachier breach], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall   5 files for [BREACHIER/BREACHIER.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled      5 files for [BREACHIER/BREACHIER.TP2] component 0.
ERROR: Failure("CDDETECT.SPL: read out of bounds")
PLEASE email the file SETUP-BREACHIER.DEBUG to SubtleD

Install Component [breachier breach]?
[I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit?

Can you also post your Weidu log? (In spoiler tags!) Are you just using SCS, or a bunch of mods?

Actually forget it - I'll look at the CDDETECT file - it looks le it doesn't have any extended headers, or it is structured differently than most spells. I thought I had taken care of those cases (I have a PATCH_IF block to make sure the number of extended headers is not zero)... but that must be different.

One thing you might try in the meantime, is move that spell out of your override folder, run the hotfix, and then put CDDETECT.spl back into /override. Maybe it's the only one! But maybe not.

Thank you subtledoctor, it installed fine this time.

However, loading up my saved game, Breach is still ineffective against Ihtafeer.

One strange thing I noticed is that the output said:

WARNING: no effects added to SPWI513.SPL
WARNING: no effects added to SPWI513C.SPL

Shouldn't have they been affected?

Here's the debug info:

http://www.filedropper.com/setup-breachier_1

http://pastebin.com/8Jgaz23s

http://pastebin.com/5dev3puj

So spwi513 ("breach") was changed to, instead of just causing the various breach effects, to use opcode 146 to cast two other spells (spwi513b and spwi513c) which themselves cause the breach effects. Why??? Maybe this is what lets it bypass Spell Turning/Shield/Deflection...?

My hotfix correctly patched spwi513b and c, but not the main spell. Obvious correction: just set all of the main spell's effect to power level 9, so that spells will affect rakshasas; it will in turn cast the secondary spell which has the structure laid out by galactygon (0-point AC bonus at power level 5, the rest of the breach effects at power level 9).

So I've updated the hotfix, you can try one more time from the same download link. This is bringing us into the realm of a brute hack (there has got to be a more elegant way to make this work) but I think it should work. Fingers crossed anyway.

spwi513b is the actual breach. spwi513c is used to dispel Spell Shield, as the spell protection removal spells (well, that's a mouthful) like pierce magic, secret word etc. do. I don't really understand the reason behind such change myself. Spell Shield shouldn't protect against Breach, so it shouldn't get consumed by it either.

But then again maybe there's a well justified reason and I'm not seeing it yet.

BTW does the power level of the 146 opcode affect in some way the immunities/absorption interaction or it's still the actual (spwi513b) spell's effects that is used to determine the outcome?

Well the component is meant to do two things, right: 1) make Breach bounce off Spell Deflection/Turning, and 2) make Breach affect liches and rakshasas. We know that to accomplish the 2nd part, SCS alters the .itm that grants immunity to low level spells, to block only certain 5th level spells instead of all of them.

But what about the 1st part? I'm guessing that stuff like Deflection and Turning are coded to allow Breach to pass through, which we want to change. So SCS makes breach into a simpler spell that does not bypass Deflections, and gave that spell use opcode 146 to cast a secondary spell, which does the breaching.

Problem for me is, applying Galactygon's solution of making all effects power level 9 and adding null effect before them at power level 5 was not catching the secondary spells, the 'true' Breach spells. So their power level is still set to 5, and they can't affect the rakshasa. :(

The best thing I can think to do is edit the 'initial' spell (spwi513) so that it has a power 5 null effect followed by the opcode 146 effects at power 9. That should bounce off Deflection but, in the absence of Deflection/Turning, should affect the rakshasa and successfully cast the secondary spell. The secondary spell will then *also* have a null effect at power 5 (though in this circumstance it might not even be necessary) followed by all of the Breach effects at power 9.

I *think* that would successfully accomplish the goals of the SCS component, without needing to edit lich.itm and rakring.itm, etc.

Aye, putting the dummy effect in both spwi513 & spwi513b does the trick. It does get stopped by deflection, consuming the appropriate 5 levels and lich immunities does not stop it.

Keep in mind that it's not perfect. If the deflection spell is not protecting against 9th level spells, only the dummy effect will get absorbed with the rest passing through normally. Minor Spell Deflection (up to 7th) and Minor Spell Turning (up to 4th) will not actually stop Breach.

Just a minor clarification to my post. If you don't use any mods that change those two spells the issue is almost non-existent. Minor Deflection is a lowly 3th level spell blocking a small number of total levels and I don't think you'd see it any enemy worth it's name using it. Minor Turning *shouldn't* stop Breach anyway, since it stops up to 4th and Breach is one level higher.

The issue is more pronounced in Spell Revisions where Spell Deflection is made 5th level (thus you'd expect more bang for your buck) and it's on the sweet spot of stopping up to 7th level spells. I.e. it should absorb Breach but it's not.

Not a huge deal, but if you want to play fair it does break immersion trying to keep tabs on everything going on.

The issue is more pronounced in Spell Revisions where Spell Deflection is made 5th level (thus you'd expect more bang for your buck) and it's on the sweet spot of stopping up to 7th level spells. I.e. it should absorb Breach but it's not.

Not a huge deal, but if you want to play fair it does break immersion trying to keep tabs on everything going on.

If you're using Spell Revisions don't use either Galac's file nor Subtledoctor's minimod. Spell works fine, and doesn't work vs Liches/Rakshasa by intent.

Archived