Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Announced

theacefes

Hey, Ace. Nice to see you and Ardanis hanging out in the Twitch chat. I was undercover with a pseudonym.

It's an expansion to BGEE that adds an estimated 25+ hours of new content over 7 chapters. Price and release date are to be determined, but they mentioned they were trying to get it done for the end of the year.

• New areas (that look decent)
  • New NPCs available for this adventure, some of which may have "romance-like things", but old NPCs can be taken as well
  • New voice acting, including some from the original actors (Jim Cummings as Minsc and Kevin Michael Richardson as Narrator confirmed)
  • New class (shaman), spells, and items
  • Many interface improvements
  • And better pathfinding!

The interface improvements will make their way to all EE games, the shaman will be available in BGEE and BG2EE (and I'd wager IWDEE, too), and some of the items will carry over from SoD into BG2EE.

It's looking pretty great.

H0XzzUE.png

"darkness, I see darkness!!"

I mean

yo, beamdog! what about adding a brand new third inventory row, eh?? just above the first. I know its dark but pretty sure you can see it! what about actually changing somethig and even for the better this time? ;FF

Original IWD2 team was able to do something like that in the year 2002. pretty sure you can borrow the code ten years later, har har....

Regardless, it would be easy to do.

That's changing the file format and consequentially breaking compatibility with all the mods that add/patch actors.

Nice to see you and Ardanis hanging out in the Twitch chat. I was undercover with a pseudonym.

If dropping two lines counts as hanging out... :D

BG:SoD seems pretty interesting. I don't get the point of some of the GUI changes, so I hope they can be changed back or something.

(Edit 2: the Inventory (save for the box-that-shows-even-more-stats-and-takes-half-the-screen-s-space...) looks better than the original's to me. Or at least when compared to BG2/the EEs, since I liked BG1's better).

(Edit 3: the new color picker really kicks ass. No more hours of looking at colours with NI to get my PC to look properly!)

Regardless, it would be easy to do.

That's changing the file format and consequentially breaking compatibility with all the mods that add/patch actors.

Sorry, but how do you figure that ? As said, we are not changing the .cre file !

Like I said above, it's the .CHR file ... and I am sure that the new game can assume that the .chr files without anything in the .cre's spots, especially as they have smaller feature association(the amount of possible items) would just need a patch and be done with it... as you can do that. Just read the file version flag, and adapt the file. As that's how the SoA read the exported v1 .chr files from BG1 and made them to be playable in the game as v2.0's.

See, I am pretty sure lynx might have looked at the associated files as .. he was going to change the inventory system in gemrp...

The .chr doesn't even touch inventory slots. It just encloses a .cre :)

(Also, it would only work on memory, or by adding a new format just to put that stuff in. Edit: so you don't have to modify anything that already exists, that is.)

Ah, interesting, it takes place between BG1 and 2. Could add some interesting content to that stretch between the games and add some interesting character to it. Even if the transition into having the canonical party in BG2 might get even weirder. :D

Stats in the inventory screen look a bit ugly, and I don't like health bars (luckily those can be turned off), but the rest looks great! My only real concern is that it might make BG2 even easier.

It shouldn't... as the encounters were made to scale in difficulty in the original game. Up to a point at least. Well at least if you have not played with SCS, as that has the max level spawns.

Stats in the inventory screen look a bit ugly, and I don't like health bars (luckily those can be turned off), but the rest looks great! My only real concern is that it might make BG2 even easier.

It shouldn't... as the encounters were made to scale in difficulty in the original game. Up to a point at least. Well at least if you have not played with SCS, as that has the max level spawns.

I know you said "up to a point", but could you tell me where they did anything more than a (for example) level check for an encounter? I've been trying to minimize scripting for scaling, and all I can find are things like

Is the party average level 12 or below?  Spawn A,B,C.
Is the party average level over 12?  Spawn A,B,C and X,Y.

If they did anything more complicated than that, I'd love to copy it ;)

Archived