0.8.3 - Android 5.1 - Cannot install .apk, parse error

petch

Trying to install the latest .apk just throws a parse error "There was a problem while parsing the package"

Nvidia Shield Portable, 5.1

On my Xperia phone it simply says Application not installed. :(

Tried compiling from source, that .apk is just saying 'App not installed' on my Shield now.

:undecided: none of our devs are Android devs. The Android build was contributed by people that are no longer around to maintain it...

You say you compiled from source; perhapps you know enough about Android to fix it for us? Willing Android devs are shockingly hard to come by.

Compiling from source actually fixed it - I had to remove some left over files from a previous installation and it let me install. I'm not sure if the .apk available on sourceforge works or not, but I know compiling from source works if you're doing a clean install.

Edit: seems that whilst I've got it to install, it will hang for a few seconds and then crash. I thought it was my config file but I'm pretty confident with it at this point, so it beats me.

there should be a log file somewhere. (the game directory maybe if gemrb had write access)

Weird, in the log it's saying I have invalid paths. They're not the paths I've put in the config, rather there's an extra /data/ for some reason. So, I decided to move all game files into a new folder called data. Now gemrb doesn't crash, it just exits after a few seconds and the log file is empty.

[ResourceManager/WARNING]: Invalid path given: /storage/sdcard1/gemrb/bg2/data/Data (Data) [ResourceManager/WARNING]: Invalid path given: /storage/sdcard1/gemrb/bg2/data/CD2/data (CD2/data) [ResourceManager/WARNING]: Invalid path given: /storage/sdcard1/gemrb/bg2/data/CD3/data (CD3/data) [ResourceManager/WARNING]: Invalid path given: /storage/sdcard1/gemrb/bg2/data/CD4/data (CD4/data) [ResourceManager/WARNING]: Invalid path given: /storage/sdcard1/gemrb/bg2/data/CD5/data (CD5/data) [ResourceManager/WARNING]: Invalid path given: /storage/sdcard1/gemrb/bg2/CD6/data (CD6/data) [ResourceManager/WARNING]: Invalid path given: /storage/sdcard1/gemrb/bg2/data/CD6/data (CD6/data)

So that extra /data after bg2 seems to come from nowhere, so I just moved all the contents of /bg2/ into a new /data/ (so the old data folder is in there too) and that's when it no longer crashes, but rather just exists and leaves a blank gemrb.log file.

So that extra /data after bg2 seems to come from nowhere, so I just moved all the contents of /bg2/ into a new /data/ (so the old data folder is in there too) and that's when it no longer crashes, but rather just exists and leaves a blank gemrb.log file.

It's likely that you had the baldur.ini pointing to the data -folder instead of the bg2 -folder.

It's likely that you had the baldur.ini pointing to the data -folder instead of the bg2 -folder.

Maybe I'm just tired (8am and haven't slept) or the documentation in the .cfg is outdated, or I'm just a complete idiot - but even with a lot of trial and error I can only get the application to either hang for around 5s then crash, or for only a couple of seconds and close without error. I've attached my .cfg and .log files if anyone is kind enough to glance over them.

The last time I had gemrb working on android was the Google Play version, and the files were set out a little differently there I believe.

GemRB.cfg changed to .txt so I could attach it.

GemRB.log

GemRB.txt

The path errors are fine, they're just extra paths that you're not using. Inis don't matter, so ignore Jarno's post.

The log is cut short, but what remains looks ok. Regarding the config: don't android apps need to be full screen? I think you'll also need to install the widescreen mod to adapt the resolution to what your device wants. Sometimes that's 72/96/... px less in height for androids button row.

The path errors are fine, they're just extra paths that you're not using. Inis don't matter, so ignore Jarno's post.

The log is cut short, but what remains looks ok. Regarding the config: don't android apps need to be full screen? I think you'll also need to install the widescreen mod to adapt the resolution to what your device wants. Sometimes that's 72/96/... px less in height for androids button row.

I'll try use the widescreen mod later today, hopefully that will stop the crashing but I'm somewhat sceptical

I'll also try on android 4.4 later on, I don't trust 5.1 (but that might be because I don't like the new UI)

Archived