Unearthed Arcana presents Might & Guile: tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues

51 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

This is an error I saw with BGEE v2.6. Has IWDEE also been changed to the latest patch?

Splprot.2da was given an overhaul of it's initial column labels, for better readability, as well as made consistent across all 3 games:

Spoiler

0_EA>=0
1_GENERAL=UNDEAD
2_GENERAL!=UNDEAD
3_STAT(RESISTFIRE)>=100
4_STAT(RESISTFIRE)<100
5_GENERAL=HUMANOID
6_GENERAL!=HUMANOID
7_GENERAL=ANIMAL
8_GENERAL!=ANIMAL
9_RACE=ELEMENTAL
10_RACE!=ELEMENTAL
11_RACE=MYCONID
12_RACE!=MYCONID
13_PERSONALSPACE>3
14_PERSONALSPACE<=3
15_RACE=ELF
16_RACE!=ELF
17_RACE=UMBERHULK
18_RACE!=UMBERHULK
19_RACE=HALF_ELF
20_RACE!=HALF_ELF
21_ENTRIES=(5||7)
22_ENTRIES!=(5||7)
23_STATEBITS=STATE_BLIND
24_STATEBITS!=STATE_BLIND
25_STAT(RESISTCOLD)>=100
26_STAT(RESISTCOLD)<100
27_RACE=GOLEM
28_RACE!=GOLEM
29_RACE=MINOTAUR
30_RACE!=MINOTAUR
31_ENTRIES=(1||11)
32_ENTRIES!=(1||11)
33_ALIGNMENTBITS=MASK_GENEUTRAL
34_ALIGNMENTBITS!=MASK_GENEUTRAL
35_ALIGNMENTBITS=MASK_GOOD
36_ALIGNMENTBITS!=MASK_GOOD
37_ALIGNMENTBITS>=MASK_EVIL
38_ALIGNMENTBITS<MASK_EVIL
39_CLASS=PALADIN
40_CLASS!=PALADIN
41_MORALALIGNMENT_MATCHESCASTER
42_!MORALALIGNMENT_MATCHESCASTER
43_SOURCE
44_!SOURCE
45_SPECIFIC=150
46_SPECIFIC!=150
47_ENTRIES=(31||27)
48_ENTRIES!=(31||27)
49_ALLIES
50_!ALLIES
51_ENEMIES
52_!ENEMIES
53_ENTRIES=(3||25)
54_ENTRIES!=(3||25)
55_ENTRIES=(1||27)
56_ENTRIES!=(1||27)
57_GENDER=MALE
58_GENDER!=MALE
59_ALIGNMENTBITS=MASK_LCNEUTRAL
60_ALIGNMENTBITS!=MASK_LCNEUTRAL
61_ALIGNMENTBITS>=MASK_CHAOTIC
62_ALIGNMENTBITS<MASK_CHAOTIC
63_EVASIONCHECK
64_RACE=ORC
65_RACE!=ORC
66_SPLSTATE=DEAFENED
67_SPLSTATE!=DEAFENED
68_SPLSTATE=MOLD_TOUCH
69_SPLSTATE!=MOLD_TOUCH
70_SPLSTATE=STATIC_CHARGE
71_SPLSTATE!=STATIC_CHARGE
72_SPLSTATE=SHROUD_OF_FLAME
73_SPLSTATE!=SHROUD_OF_FLAME
74_GENERAL=DEAD
75_GENERAL!=DEAD
76_SPLSTATE=n
77_STAT(RESISTPOISON)>=100
78_STAT(RESISTPOISON)<100
79_STAT(RESISTACID)>=100
80_STAT(RESISTACID)<100
81_STAT(RESISTELECTRICITY)>=100
82_STAT(RESISTELECTRICITY)<100
83_STAT(MAGICDAMAGERESISTANCE)>=100
84_STAT(MAGICDAMAGERESISTANCE)<100
85_RACE=ANKHEG
86_RACE!=ANKHEG
87_RACE=LICH
88_RACE!=LICH
89_TIMEOFDAY=6-20
90_TIMEOFDAY=21-5
91_STATEBITS=STATE_PANIC
92_STATEBITS!=STATE_PANIC
93_UNUSED
94_UNUSED
95_UNUSED
96_UNUSED
97_UNUSED
98_UNUSED
99_UNUSED
100_UNUSED
101_UNUSED
102_EA=n
103_GENERAL=n
104_RACE=n
105_CLASS=n
106_SPECIFIC=n
107_GENDER=n
108_ALIGNMENTBITS=n
109_STAT(KIT)BITS=n
110_SPLSTATE=n
111_SPLSTATE!=n
112_EA!=n
113_GENERAL!=n
114_RACE!=n
115_CLASS!=n
116_SPECIFIC!=n
117_GENDER!=n
118_ALIGNMENT!=n
119_ENTRIES!=(20||21)
120_SPLSTATE=SCROLL_OF_PROTECTION_FROM_UNDEAD
121_SPLSTATE=WILD_MAGIC_AREA
122_STAT(DEX)>=n
123_STAT(DEX)<n
124_STAT(STR)>=n
125_STAT(STR)<n
126_STAT(CON)>=n
127_STAT(CON)<n
128_STAT(INT)>=n
129_STAT(INT)<n
130_STAT(WIS)>=n
131_STAT(WIS)<n
132_STAT(CHR)>=n
133_STAT(CHR)<n
134_SUMMONEDNUM>=n
135_SUMMONEDNUM<n
136_CHAPTER>=n
137_CHAPTER<n
138_STATEBITS=n
139_STATEBITS!=n
140_STATEBITS=STATE_INVISIBLE
141_STATEBITS=STATE_IMPROVEDINVISIBILITY
142_ENTRIES=(140||141)
143_ENTRIES!=(140||141)
144_CURRENTHP>=n
145_CURRENTHP<n

The elven archer doesn't appear to gain access to called shot feats, instead is granted the old style called shot ability.  For troubleshooting purposes, this is tested on a fresh installation with no other mods. BG2 EE Version 2.5. I have tried installing with and without the feat system. No feats are granted on level up. 

Thanks for all your hard work on this mod, it's really great. If there's anything I can do to help resolve the above issues, don't hesitate to let me know. 

hey @subtledoctor, thank you for pointing out the problem. I try to understand it so that i may help with the fix.

THis is the error you would get if installing on the latest BG2:EE 2.6.5:

ERROR: cannot convert state_row or %state_row% to an integer
ERROR: [spcl722.spl] -> [override/spcl722.spl] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

So looked into your spell_evasion.tpa and found the code responsible reading each row from the file splprot.2da: 

COPY_EXISTING ~splprot.2da~ ~override~
	COUNT_2DA_COLS cols
	READ_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW rows cols
	FOR (row = 1; row < rows; ++row) BEGIN
	  READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER rows row 0 ~stat~
	  PATCH_IF ~%stat%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~STATE~ BEGIN
	    SET state_row = %row%
	  END
	END

as i understand it you look for a string "STATE" in the first column to get the row id. Then i looked into the actual splprot.2da and compared the file before the 2.6 patch:

https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/files/2da/2da_bgee/splprot.htm

and after the 2.6 patch:

https://argent77.github.io/iesdp/files/2da/2da_bgee/splprot.htm

But I did not found this string directly. Looking on the pseudo stats of the pre2.6 file i found this:

0x111 - STATE

which is now this:

0x111 ⟶ STATE.IDS

So i assume you want to finde the strings labeled with the stat 0x111 which are these:

23_STATEBITS=STATE_BLIND	0x111	0x40000	8
24_STATEBITS!=STATE_BLIND	0x111	0x40000	9
91_STATEBITS=STATE_PANIC	0x111	0x00000004	8
92_STATEBITS!=STATE_PANIC	0x111	0x00000004	9
138_STATEBITS=n	0x111	-1	8
139_STATEBITS!=n	0x111	-1	9
140_STATEBITS=STATE_INVISIBLE	0x111	16	8
141_STATEBITS=STATE_IMPROVEDINVISIBILITY	0x111	4194304	8

Am I on the right track or completly wrong here? A tip would be very much appretiated.

Edited by rick2021

Hey subtledoctor. Just finished a trilogy playthrough using your mods (F&P, M&G, T&B, SoB, Random Tweaks, and NPC_EE). A lot of fun. I love the freshness of it.

Have some comments / bug reports. None that are super-urgent but just wanted to let you know, as someone who's spent a lot of hours with your mods.

1. When characters who've learned feats leave the party and rejoin it, the feat selection screen no longer tracks the feats they've learned. The feats' effects are still present, but the feats themselves can be re-selected with the next feat ability.
  2. Had some issues with the innate Contingencies and Spell Triggers, using Innate Metamagic. The biggest one was that if I use the Contingency/Trigger ability, but then cancel it or fail to set it somehow, the ability disappears permanently and I have to edit it back on.
  3. Most Mage NPCs still know the Contingency spell. Among them are Tyris, Minyae, rescued Imoen, ToB Jan, etc.
  4. Some issues with syncing Contingencies/Triggers in the spellbook with the innate abilities. (This probably isn't going to be very helpful.) Sometimes, I'll have a Contingency in my spellbook but the Contingency ability will still be in my innate abilities. Sometimes I'll have a Spell Trigger NOT in my spellbook, but the USE Spell Trigger ability (the one with the blue icon) is in my innate abilities. Sometimes I'll have both the white ability (setup trigger) along with the blue ability (use trigger) in my innate abilities at the same time. I haven't been able to determine why these desyncs occur, but they're mostly just cosmetic/UI issues.
  5. I think some of the proficiencies in the Readme are incorrect. It might be due to using different versions of the mod or because I'm also using Scales of Balance, but in mine, the Hand of Torm can get 2 pips in most things, not 1. Maybe this information should just be included in the kit descriptions at character generation? Or maybe you can write out the general rules and then the additions to those rules? (I.e. Clerics of Helm can put an extra pip in Longsword.)  This seems like it'll be a real pain for you to write and keep updated, especially if the FC/CM/CT versions are included as well, so I don't really know what a good solution would be, but there were definitely times in the game I was really puzzled as to what proficiencies a priest could learn and what weapons they could use (I.e. Getting Spear/Halberd proficiency, but then not being able to use Halberds), or not knowing what armor type each cleric kit can use, and there were occasionally mismatches between dialogue-based proficiency learning and level-up proficiency learning.
  6. The Weapon Focus feat doesn't seem to be working. I might not be understanding it properly, but I thought it would allow me to put an extra pip in a proficiency over the normal maximum for that class, but that extra pip option never seemed to come up. (I'd just EEKeeper it instead.)
  7. Sometimes the NPC_EE remove-proficiencies-and-relearn-them option wouldn't work and would fail to remove proficiencies from an NPC.
  8. Sometimes whatever it is you do with hidden proficiencies causes weird visual bugs in-game and in EEKeeper. They don't necessarily occur at the same time either, which I find weird, but I've never been able to figure out what causes it. (See screenshots below.)
    image.png.fffeb37151b86e808a23f05a7cd19a9d.pngimage.png.bc1452c7f1d31b9ad988ec6dd173cad7.png
  9. In d5_ckit.bcs, I had to add SetGlobal("D5KITTLK","GLOBAL",0) to the last block. I'm trying to remember why right now, and I think it was if I used Choose a Kit, but then chose not to change the kit and just reset my proficiencies, the global would never be reset and then the invisible monster would never engage in dialogue. I think. I made this change months ago so I do not exactly recall.
  10. I think, for some reason, Faith and Powers changed the category of all the bastard swords in the game to Morning Star (22). I am basing this on the backup files I have, where the FnP backup of SW1H01.ITM is a Large Sword (20), but the MnG, which installed immediately after, backup of the item is a Morning Star (22). I'm not really sure why FnP would change it like this, so if I'm mistaken about that I apologize, but then Item Revisions used that category and assigned all the Bastard Swords in the game to Mace proficiency and Mace appearance, and then Scales of Balance changed them to Club proficiency.
  11. The modified version of Barkskin that renews a skin every round makes an incredibly annoying sound every round too.
  12. Personally, I modded multiclasses to learn feats as well and have the full set of HLAs available to their base classes. That's just what I'm looking for when I play a dual-class or multi-class. Maybe it's a little overpowered, but I'm playing the trilogy for the umpteenth time now so I want my shiny toys (also I have SCS and Ascension, so...). Wouldn't mind if those became base components, but if not, I can continue doing the editing myself.
  13. Is it intended for feats to stop being earned at around level 20? I noticed you have more feat abilities created but that they're not all used in the clab files.

Anyways, sorry if any of these issues aren't actually coming from your mods or if the descriptions aren't particularly helpful. I've been playing this playthrough for months now and most of these issues I fixed myself so I could just keep playing, and so I don't have total recall of everything I messed with, especially since I was mega-modding. If you need any help testing or isolating anything, I can help with that, though I imagine you're pretty busy with 2.6 compatibility issues right now.

I really do want to emphasize how much I enjoy playing with your mods. They change up a game that I've been playing for years now and introduce some fresh new mechanical elements to it. They really make playing again a lot less repetitive and a lot more fun!

@hippofant thanks for the feedback! Stuff like this is always valuable. I'll address a couple things:

2 hours ago, hippofant said:

When characters who've learned feats leave the party and rejoin it, the feat selection screen no longer tracks the feats they've learned. The feats' effects are still present, but the feats themselves can be re-selected with the next feat ability.

Good to know. And super annoying. In general the opaque and sometimes haphazard rules for what the game engine does to characters who leave and rejoin is super annoying... :(

The biggest one was that if I use the Contingency/Trigger ability, but then cancel it or fail to set it somehow, the ability disappears permanently and I have to edit it back on.

Huh. That may be a circumstance I didn't test... TBH I didn't know it was even possible to cast the spell but not set the contingency.

Most Mage NPCs still know the Contingency spell. Among them are Tyris, Minyae, rescued Imoen, ToB Jan, etc.

This sounds like an oversight that should be easy to fix.

I think some of the proficiencies in the Readme are incorrect. It might be due to using different versions of the mod or because I'm also using Scales of Balance, but in mine, the Hand of Torm can get 2 pips in most things, not 1. Maybe this information should just be included in the kit descriptions at character generation?

I think the issue here is with Scales of Balance: it changes the entire proficiency system, with basic rule changes like

fighters -> 5 stars
non-fighter warriors -> 2 stars
everyone else -> 1 star

to

fighters -> 4 stars
non-fighter warriors -> 3 stars
priests and rogues -> 2 stars
wizards -> 1 star

Now some kits have different rules, like some cleric kits in FnP can get specialization instead of proficiency. But that is based on the base game rules. SoB comes later and changes it, but the FnP description can't know whether SoB will be installed later, and SoB can't know which kits have been installed, and it can't really apply generalized kit description patches because various kit describe proficiency limits in different ways - never mind in different translations of different languages!

The best I can think is that SoB can sketch out the base system more clearly in the general class descriptions; and kits can try to be more general about how they describe proficiency limits (i.e. instead of saying "can reach specialization" say "can reach one level of proficiency higher than most clerics"). But even this has limits - for one thing, I am not the author of many kits, even within FnP; and for another thing, consider that FnP's proficiency limits are meant to be user-configurable. It's not the most user-friendly thing at the moment, but you can go into the FnP class .tpa files and set every kit to whatever proficiency level you want for every weapon, to have complete control over how those rules are implemented in your game.* There is no way to allow SoB to handle kit description patching for all of these eventualities.

* (As an aside, this is really the broad direction my mods have taken: to allow these systems to be user-configurable. Which sphere system do you want? Which spheres do each kit get? Which proficiencies? Etc. To really give each player the ability to set up the rules and act as their own DM.)

Another solution is to change the SoB proficiency system again, and maybe tone down the extent to which it deviates from the base game. I'm still not entirely happy with it...

The Weapon Focus feat doesn't seem to be working. I might not be understanding it properly, but I thought it would allow me to put an extra pip in a proficiency over the normal maximum for that class, but that extra pip option never seemed to come up.

It cannot give you an extra pip in the normal proficiency screen, but it can do so by dialogue, and I think what it does is give you an innate ability, just like the NPC_EE ones. I think there was an issue with it not giving you the ability, and I think I fixed that recently... I'll double-check.

Note, even by dialogue, it cannot give you more stars than the proficiency system itself gives you fighters. So with SoB, you cannot use this to go above 4 stars; there is, after all, no benefit to going above 4 stars. The Weapon Focus ability is essentially mean to allow certain rogues to reach the same proficiency level - in one weapon - as rangers and paladins. You'll still have rogue thac0, but you'll have ranger/paladin APR, which should hopefully stake out a nice middle ground in being more combat-capable than other rogues, but still not usurping the place of non-fighter warriors.

Sometimes the NPC_EE remove-proficiencies-and-relearn-them option wouldn't work and would fail to remove proficiencies from an NPC

You mean certain NPCs? Or certain proficiencies? The nature of it is, if you choose a proficiency at the level-up screen, it cannot be removed. So if you recruit Minsc, level him up and have him go from one star to two stars in maces, and then use the NPC_EE ability, those stars in maces will not be removed, while his other proficiencies in 2-hand swords etc. will be removed. To avoid using this as an exploit, the nest practice is to always use the NPC_EE kit-change ability immediately after recruiting someone.

3 hours ago, hippofant said:

Sometimes whatever it is you do with hidden proficiencies causes weird visual bugs in-game and in EEKeeper.

Not sure what's causing the issue in the first screenshot, because my mods don't use the proficiencies for long sword, short sword, etc. They do use the 'club' proficiency, and that value in the EEKeeper screenshot, while it looks weird, is numerically valid. Don't mess with it! (Well, if you want to increase your club proficiency by 1 I'm pretty sure you can just make that number 1 higher, and it will work fine. But, try not to mess with it.)

In d5_ckit.bcs, I had to add SetGlobal("D5KITTLK","GLOBAL",0) to the last block.

Thanks. I have changed the NPC_EE script recently to add the ability to change ability scores (!) and I'm pretty sure this was fixed in the course of that. But I'll double-check.

The modified version of Barkskin that renews a skin every round makes an incredibly annoying sound every round

This has already been fixed in the most recent versions.

Is it intended for feats to stop being earned at around level 20?

Yup. Starting at level 20 you get HLAs, which are like Uber-feats. (I understand that ot's not always level 20, but I use the Tweaks Anthology mod to make it level 20 for every class, even multiclasses. I think making this change at level 20 is most in keeping with the spirit and written rules of the 2E system, so that's what the feats system uses as a cutoff.)

Saved for last because the reply is going to be long-winded:

I think, for some reason, Faith and Powers changed the category of all the bastard swords in the game to Morning Star (22). I am basing this on the backup files I have, where the FnP backup of SW1H01.ITM is a Large Sword (20), [...] then Item Revisions used that category and assigned all the Bastard Swords in the game to Mace proficiency and Mace appearance, and then Scales of Balance changed them to Club proficiency.

I want you to change the way you think about this: those values are actually just numerical; the category of "morning stars" or "large swords" is just a gloss that was added by ShadowKeeper and Near Infinity. So what the mod really did was change bastard sword from category 20, to category 22. Doesn't sounds as weird now, does it?

Now, what are those categories, really? Behind the scenes, they do two things that I'm aware of: 1) they work with opcode 181 to allow category-based usability exclusions applied by spell or script, instead of by .ITM flags; and 2) those with values above 29 cannot be used for dual-wielding.  FnP wants to use opcode 181 for real kit-based item usability exclusions, for hundreds of kits instead of just for the three kits with .ITM flags. But the problem is, long swords/bastard swords/scimitars/katanas are all bunched together under category 20 ("large swords"). In order to do this, we need to find three new category numbers for bastard swords/scimitars/katanas... and those categories have to be below 30, since they are all 1-handed weapons.

We clear two categories by moving spears and halberds to values above 30; this doesn't matter for them since they are 2-handed weapons and cannot be used while dual-wielding anyway. For the third category to free up, we can move morning stars; they don't need their own category since they share a proficiency, and the goal is to have a category that lines up with each proficiency. So we move morning stars either to the flails category, if IR Weapon Changes are not installed, or the maces category if IR Weapon Changes are installed.**

** As you might guess, this hints at the solution to your problem: just install IR before FnP, since FnP is reactive to IR but IR is not reactive to FnP.

The mod has been updated to v4.12.1, updating the semi-spontaneous spellcasting function library to work with version 0.8 of the 5E-style casting conversion mod, and to allow armors to work better with 5E-style arcane casters.

The semi-spontaneous function library is shared by several of my mods. If you are using any 5E-style casting, you want to make sure you use the following mod versions (or later):

• 5E Casting v0.8
  • Tome & Blood v0.9.12
  • Faiths & Powers v0.79.26
  • Might & Guile v4.12.1
  • Scales of Balance v5.32

Cheers.

Edited by subtledoctor

Hello :) Finally had time today to do another install of your mods. When I got to Might & Guile The Bard Overhaul Component got an error message and did not install.

ERROR: cannot convert semi_spont_arcane or %semi_spont_arcane% to an integer
ERROR: [d5zzini.spl] -> [override/d5zzini.spl] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

The rest of the mod installed without issue. Unfortunately the debug exceeds the max size for files to upload.

WeiDU.log