Unearthed Arcana presents Might & Guile: tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues

6 hours ago, Lily_EvilDM said:

When I got to Might & Guile The Bard Overhaul Component got an error message and did not install.

ERROR: cannot convert semi_spont_arcane or %semi_spont_arcane% to an integer
ERROR: [d5zzini.spl] -> [override/d5zzini.spl] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

Aha - fixed in v4.12.6. This is also an update that will filter to all other mods using the semi-spont functions, but in this case it only matters for ones installed later in the order, like MnG. So you can just use this version of MnG and leave the earlier installed mods as they are.

2 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

installing multiclass bards from Might & Guile will apply D5ZNCAST.EFF to every item applicable which cannot be overridden by Tweaks Anthology's Allow Spellcasting in Armor component.

Yeah, making armor work correctly with both 5E casters and normal casters requires some major changes, which the rather simple CDTweaks component does not deal with. (Need to add mention of that to the readme.) 

This works fine with YARAS in Scales of Balance, if you want a cast-in-armor mod. At some point I need to do a pull request for CDTweaks to add compatibility, and/or make a variant version of YARAS that replicates the effects of the CDTweaks component. 

On 9/6/2021 at 12:40 AM, Graion Dilach said:

Yeah, the lack of mentioning this conflict in the readme was my primary problem, I did guess this change came from the 5e spellcasting changes (which I also don't use, so I just locally turned the opcode into a no-op, that looks to be fine as far as I noticed.)

I'll update the Readme. Meantime, if you like the function of the CDTweaks armor adjustments but want a version compatible with this, the latest version (5.33) of Scales of Balance now has the capability to apply movement speed penalties, weapon speed penalties, and spellcasting failure chance with armors. There is a version of the YARAS settings that you can rename place in /override before installing, and it will simulate the CDTweaks armor settings (thief skill penalties and spell failure chance). Further, that mod will mo longer litter item descriptions with stuff like "Dexterity Penalty: -0" ... item descriptions are adjusted only with the nonzero bonuses and penalties applied from the YARAS settings you use.

First of all, thanks for this mod. I ran into an issue with v4.12.6 when attempting to install the Quickstride component on my BGT game. Seems that a couple of string translation references need updating for the portion of the component that is installed for the classic engine. I've fixed it locally, just posting here so that anyone else still playing classic versions of these games might also benefit.

Spoiler

Copying and patching 1 file ...
[might_and_guile/misc/d5_stri2.spl] loaded, 298 bytes
ERROR: No translation provided for @2210
ERROR: [might_and_guile/misc/d5_stri2.spl] -> [override/d5_stri2.spl] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Revised Movement Bonuses (Quickstride)], rolling back to previous state
Unable to Unlink [might_and_guile/backup/245/OTHER.245]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "might_and_guile/backup/245/OTHER.245")
[might_and_guile/backup/245/UNSETSTR.245] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall   2 files for [MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2] component 245.
Uninstalled      2 files for [MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2] component 245.
Unable to Unlink [might_and_guile/backup/245/READLN.245]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "might_and_guile/backup/245/READLN.245")
Unable to Unlink [might_and_guile/backup/245/READLN.245.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "might_and_guile/backup/245/READLN.245.TEXT")

SETUP-MIGHT_AND_GUILE.DEBUG

@subtledoctor Thanks for your work on this mod and others, appreciate it!

Question - are some multiclasses (i.e. cleric/thief) not intended to receive feats? Or is that possibly a result of installing FnP Multiclass after M&G? Dreading yet another reinstall, but it's early enough that it's still reasonable.

Also, couple of possible small bugs -

a) Possibly related to above - I used the SCS NPC customization option, so Anomen started as a level 1 Fighter -> eventual dual to Cleric. He received feats, but they didn't do anything when activated. I tested using them before and after dualing, same result.

b) It seems like it's possible to re-select one time feats after dual classing - i.e., I selected "Luck" when initially leveling Imoen as a thief, left a few unused feats for post-leveling, and the option appeared again once she had dual classed to Mage.

2 hours ago, Guest JPag said:

Question - are some multiclasses (i.e. cleric/thief) not intended to receive feats? Or is that possibly a result of installing FnP Multiclass after M&G?

Only unkitted multiclasses are intended to get feats. Faiths & Powers wants every cleric to have a kit; so you get kit abilities instead.

I used the SCS NPC customization option, so Anomen started as a level 1 Fighter -> eventual dual to Cleric. He received feats, but they didn't do anything when activated

Dunno. But a fighter dualled to cleric is not meant to get feats. Doesn't SCS quickly advance the NPCs to their ultimate XP value/level? If you can quickly use the feat-choice abilities while he is still a 1st-level fighter, then I assume they should work.  But if he has a kit - like cleric of Helm or whatever - then they probably won't, which is by design. Also, I don't know what SCS does to the .CRE file. It's possible he still has an errant OriginalClass flag, which could (theoretically?) get in the way of those feats working.

It seems like it's possible to re-select one time feats after dual classing - i.e., I selected "Luck" when initially leveling Imoen as a thief, left a few unused feats for post-leveling, and the option appeared again once she had dual classed to Mage.

Yeah, the engine does some crazy stuff like clear your spellbook when you dual-class. Why? I don't know, have to ask Beamdog. For what benefit? None that I can see. But it messes with the feat system's method of detecting via the UI which feats you already have. At this time, I don't know a workaround for this, short of going back to a dialogue-based system. [shivers]

28 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Dunno. But a fighter dualled to cleric is not meant to get feats. Doesn't SCS quickly advance the NPCs to their ultimate XP value/level? If you can quickly use the feat-choice abilities while he is still a 1st-level fighter, then I assume they should work.  But if he has a kit - like cleric of Helm or whatever - then they probably won't, which is by design. Also, I don't know what SCS does to the .CRE file. It's possible he still has an errant OriginalClass flag, which could (theoretically?) get in the way of those feats working.

I wasn't able to use them at all as a level 1 fighter - SCS starts them at "Level 0" to allow class/kit changes, then you level them up, and are locked into dualing at the appropriate level. Strangely, it did work fine for Imoen, which makes me think it might be the FnP multiclass install order.

Do you mean he's not supposed to receive any more past his dual-class, or any at all? (setting aside the possible OriginalClass flag issue for a moment)

Assuming it's the former, I'll try reinstalling again and see if that solves it.

I'm not inclined to think a reinstall will improve it. I mean, your order is wrong - FnP should go before MnG - but flipping them the proper way won't change this. (It might not change anything... your order might be fine.) If things are otherwise working well, I would not spend the time to reinstall.

The feat choice ability filters by kit, so if Anomen has some kind of residual kit or some value other than trueclass (16384) in the kit field of his .CRE file, then the ability won't work. I think MnG's "apply FnP kits to NPCs" gives him a kit, so that would prevent him getting feats.Or, like I say, something from SCS could be blocking it. Hard to say. I haven't done any testing with that component of SCS, and I haven't taken Anomen into a party in probably over a decade. I can't stand that guy.

My advice: the system seems to be fighting against you here. Anomen is a priest and therefore has a kit with kit abilities and therefore is not supposed to have feats. Just go with it. Trying to work around what the system wants is more likely to cause glitches and annoyance, than to give you that little bonus.

Edited by subtledoctor
23 hours ago, Thacobell said:

The Agent bard kit isn't able to use any bard specific items. On version 4.12.6

Huh. It's so hard to deal with (and tbh, to remember to deal with) triple-classes.

I've made a change to the mod that should hopefully fix this in the next release. But I'm not sure it's the kind of thing that would be amenable to a hotfix. For a game-in-progress, if you're not talking about too many items, the best bet is probably to just modify them individually with Near Infinity.