Unearthed Arcana presents Might & Guile: tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues

Guest Wheremi

Hello there, First time poster so I'll apologize if I miss any normal sensibilities.

Ive used most of the Unearthed Arcana mods for about a month on a playthrough through BG:EE, & BG:EE2, and I needed to do a reinstall to try and address a save issue the other day. Strangely however despite it performing quite well for weeks, I've found myself unable to successfully re-install Component 210 Revised Bards Through Project Infinity after a full uninstall of all mods prior with the following error:

"cannot convert d5_spell_spontaneous or %d5_spell_spontaneous% to an integer"

WeiDu.Log Text

The only mod that had changed since the previous successful installation was moving to Faiths and Powers 0.83.15 to 0.84.2, so I am not certain what I could have changed to cause this sudden issue.

I apologize that I do not seem to be able to link files directly as a guest to provide the Project Infintiy or WeiDU logs personally at this time, and have not had a response from the moderators yet to validate an account, But I shall at least try to get the ball rolling here. Thank you in advance for your time, and thank you for all the hard work putting these mods together in the first place.

1 hour ago, Guest Wheremi said:

I've found myself unable to successfully re-install Component 210 Revised Bards Through Project Infinity after a full uninstall of all mods prior with the following error:
"cannot convert d5_spell_spontaneous or %d5_spell_spontaneous% to an integer"

Ah, sorry. Do this: open might_and_guile/components/210_revised_bards.tpa, and go to line 1174. Or ctrl-F and search for "d5_spell_spontaneous." Delete the first three letters  of that - remove the "d5_" - and save the file. Then it should install.

Glancing at it, that bit of the mod needs a bit more work to enable all different options. But it will take a bit longer to do that.

Meantime I've updated the mod to fix this (and implement several other under-the-hood improvements)

Guest Wheremi

Worked like a charm, thank you so very kindly for the expedient response and clear instructions as well as the update.

1 hour ago, jastey said:

You can also copy the contents of teh weidu.log here into a spoiler. It's preferable anyway, because it saves whoever will help you to download -> open file etc.

and thank you as well for the clarification, I was hesitant to spam the board with a wall of text, spoiler tagged or not.

SUGGESTION: Since you have the feat system in place for Fighter types, what about also offering the 3.5 Tome of Battle base classes (Swordsage (Thief kit), Warblade (Fighter kit), and Crusader (Fighter kit)) with their respective maneuvers and stances?  I mention this because, despite the workload, you seemed to be interested in doing something like this with your mods anyway.  (I mention Crusader as a Fighter kit even though it may seem closer to being a Paladin kit for multiclassing and dual classing options.)

Note that the 'spells' for these classes on the linked pages are maneuvers and stances (extraordinary or supernatural abilities) usable on a per-fight basis, not spells like magic missile or maze!

Thankee!

Edited by Endarire

Giving fighters 1st- through 9th-level… things… complete with a spell table, seems a bit like a case of “wizard envy.” Plus I don't know how you would do that with the BG2 UI. Best I could think of would be to use the Bard class as a base, using spell slots for maneuvers and changing bard songs into different inspirational leadership auras. An interesting idea… but would involve a metric crap-ton of work. Pay me a salary, I’ll consider it. 

For purposes of this mod, I’m thinking if other more limited things… like ripping out the Monk class root and stem (but maybe leaving the branches) and replacing it with a “Scout” class that could accommodate a few different kinds of kits. 

12 hours ago, Quester said:

On another note, I think you're being a bit mean to the poor monks. What did they ever do to you?

They're not making good use of an entire character class. Does that stupid wannabe westernized Wushu poseur really deserve its own spot at the same level as the broad, canonical "fighter" "thief" "wizard" or "cleric?"

How about doing something like this:

• Change the overall class from the restrictive "Monk" to a broader category like "Scout" or "Skirmisher" or something.
  • Monks can stay! But they have to get their silly supernatural powers from a specific source. Translation: remove the generic "monk" kit and just leave the Sun Soul and Dark Moon variants. (And/or, if you use Monastic Orders v3, Aquadrizzt's monk kits.)
  • Add a Ninja kit, a lightly armored warrior with tracking, stealth, trap finding, trap setting, illusion detection, and a pool of shadowy/illusion magic.
  • Optionally move the Archer kit to this new class (they will be able to use find traps and set traps, but no spellcasting... remind me why BG2 operated on the assumption that expert archers must necessarily cast druidic spells??)
  • Optionally, move the Stalker here? Replacing their druid spells with shadowy/illusion magic. Though, this would overlap with the Ninja kit quite drastically...
  • Optionally move the Shadowdancer kit to this new class, basically becoming a variant Ninja with HiPS instead of a variant thief with HiPS.

EDIT - to explain: as I was moving the Faiths & Powers regional ranger kits over to Might & Guile, and looking at making fairly serious structural changes, a bunch of ideas started coming to me. And as usual, improving functions and content in one mod enables new and better mechanisms in other mods - stuff I just added to Scales of Balance can enable some fun new stuff here. So I'm looking adding a bunch of content in addition to the structural changes. Other new ideas in the pipeline:

• A 2.5E-style "Weapon Master" or "Samurai" kit focusing on a single chosen weapon and with access to a "ki pool" of combat abilities (this is slightly similar to the kind of thing Endarire asked about)
  • Move or duplicate the Cavalier kit into the fighter class (it originated in the complete Fighter's Handbook!)
  • Change the way Revised Archer Called Shots work and maybe how they are learned (switching from the UI mod to a dialogue)
  • Change Revised Berserker Rage to add a "can't be killed while berserking" effect in place of the "add 15 hp/remove 15 hp" thing
  • Maybe revise the way Revised Bards learn songs (just switching from the UI mod to a dialogue)

So the kit menus would look something like this:

Fighter (trueclass in addition to the kits)

• Berserker
  • Kensai
  • Wizard Slayer
  • Barbarian
  • Cavalier
  • Weapon Master/Samurai
  • Corsair
  • Marksman

Ranger (no trueclass, only these kits)

• Forest Ranger
  • Mountain Ranger
  • Desert Ranger
  • Jungle Ranger
  • Arctic Ranger
  • Stalker
  • Beastmaster
  • Mage Hunter
  • [Elven Archer]

Scout (no trueclass, only these kits)

• Sun Soul Monk
  • Dark Moon Monk
  • Ninja
  • Shadowdancer
  • Archer

Thief (trueclass in addition to the kits)

• Assassin
  • Bounty  Hunter
  • Swashbuckler
  • Sniper

Arguably the Ninja could be a fighter/thief kit, the  Shadowdancer/Archer could stay where they are, and we could leave the monk class to dumb monks. I don't know. I'm not totally sure which is a better way to go. Canonically the Ninja is its own class, and not allowed to multiclass.  And its abilities fit the monk class UI really well! It's so tempting to diversify that class. The Mage Hunter could fit there as well, if we go that route...

Anyway, a lot going on. Stay tuned. But don't hold your breath. I want to have all this for my own next playthrough, so maybe by the holidays.

Edited by subtledoctor

Kensai can’t wear armor, and get a bunch of silly bonuses instead. 

Put another way, I’ll lay down money the Kensai kit is mostly used for accruing indelible bonuses and then dual-classing. My Samurai/Weapon Master concept is meant to work as a proper viable single-class fighter. TBH my original plan was to replace the Kensai with the Weapon Master, which can do two things the Kensai claims to do better than the Kensai actually does them: 1) focus on mastering a single weapon, rather than getting GM in any/all weapons; and 2) use Ki power to enhance their combat abilities. 

But in the end I figured, why take away the Kensai?  Let people keep their dual-class cheese, and I’ll just make a new kit. 

Edited by subtledoctor

How torn up would people be if I got rid of the Ranger/Mage multiclass kit? I hate it so much, I hate that it is something people can see that is attached to my name. It was kind of interesting in 2012, but boy it has not aged well...

Also maybe the Ranger/Thief, though that one is not so hacky. Still a bit hacky thought.

I might pull the multiclass kits in component #220 out into their own individual components. But I am cutting wheat from chaff as I go through the mod, and... those psuedo-multi-rangers look an awful lot like chaff.

Also thinking  of a "Revised Backstabbing" component. Probably keep it simple, just add bonus backstab effects by kit:

• Assassin: poison (instead of the x7 multiplier bonus)

• Rake: panic

• Bounty Hunter: entangle or web

• Swashy: none

• Ninja: ...blind?

• Shadowdancer: ...something like, phased/etherealness? Blur visual + Slow?

• Thug: knockback/down

• Spellfilcher: Breach...? Dispel?

• Loremaster: none

• Psion/thief: mind thrust? (Sleep)

• S&S Adventurer: ...none?

•  

S&S Soulknife: ...stun

S&S Burglar: ...none?