Unearthed Arcana presents Might & Guile: tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues

Update to version 5 alpha 13. Certain instances of v5a12 were not giving the Ninja kits their ki pool abilities. This is fixed, and a new function is added to the semi-spontaneous group to more easily handle the assignment of points for 'semi-innate'/ki pool abilities.

Don't worry if you just installed v5a12 - only one file is different. You can add the corrected version after the fact by installing this hotfix.

Update to version 5.2 alpha 4 (and yeah I am keenly aware the version numbering is ridiculous right now - I'm trying to bring this and the Scales of Balance pre-releases into harmony with each other). This updates the Use Magical Device feat to a new mechanism that is shared with SoB v6.5 and Refinements v4.36.

Also I think there are some under-the-hood improvements for the Cavalier-as-fighter kit and the Archer-as-fighter kit.

On 2/5/2023 at 9:22 PM, Guest Brogan said:

Trying to make a Marksman, but unable to put a pip into Longbow, as it's not listed (using Thief rules).  Did I forget to install a component?

Thieves can't use longbows by default, so you should not be able to put pips there. This seems like it is working as intended? Or else I didn't understand the question.

8 hours ago, Connelly said:

Seems there's a problem with the thief only Ninja kit in the update. The F/T one installs fine though.

//ERROR: [might_and_guile/thief/ninja/d5ninpts.2da] -> [override/d5ninpts.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Unknown function: semi_innate_points"))

Dammit. There was a problem several commits ago, and I fixed the problem, but then I apparently overwrote the fix in the last update. And now I'm back to the earlier problem. And it's confounding me.

Argh, I'll have this sorted out soon.

Meantime, if I'm about to update this: the "Weaponmaster" kit name seems awfully clunky to me. I created the kit as a kind of Samurai-ish thing - I started with the Ninja, a warrior-like rogue with some supernatural abilities usable from a pool of ki points; then I wanted to make more of a pure warrior version, with more warrior-centric ki abilities.

Calling that a "Samurai" seems a bit... icky. And Samurai implies more about the political and social background of the fighter, than about its weapon and bonus abilities. "Ki Warrior" is better, but pretty boring. Weaponmaster is sort of accurate (part of the kit is that you can only choose to get grandmastery in a single weapon - kind of being more of a kensai than the actual kensai) but doesn't address the ki abilities and sounds pretty vague.

So anyway if anyone has ideas for a better name for the kit, now is a great time to throw out suggestions!

• "Weaponmaster"
  • "Samurai"
  • "Ki Warrior"
  • "Better Kensai"
  • ...?
1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

Meantime, if I'm about to update this: the "Weaponmaster" kit name seems awfully clunky to me. I created the kit as a kind of Samurai-ish thing - I started with the Ninja, a warrior-like rogue with some supernatural abilities usable from a pool of ki points; then I wanted to make more of a pure warrior version, with more warrior-centric ki abilities.

Calling that a "Samurai" seems a bit... icky. And Samurai implies more about the political and social background of the fighter, than about its weapon and bonus abilities. "Ki Warrior" is better, but pretty boring. Weaponmaster is sort of accurate (part of the kit is that you can only choose to get grandmastery in a single weapon - kind of being more of a kensai than the actual kensai) but doesn't address the ki abilities and sounds pretty vague.

So anyway if anyone has ideas for a better name for the kit, now is a great time to throw out suggestions!

• "Weaponmaster"
  • "Samurai"
  • "Ki Warrior"
  • "Better Kensai"
  • ...?

Ronin

15 hours ago, Connelly said:

Seems there's a problem with the thief only Ninja kit in the update. The F/T one installs fine though.

//ERROR: [might_and_guile/thief/ninja/d5ninpts.2da] -> [override/d5ninpts.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Unknown function: semi_innate_points"))

Okay it took a little while to track down the problem but the Weaponmaster and Ninja ki pool abilities should be fixed in version 5.2 alpha 5.

Hi,

I'm very interested in this mod for Ranger base class improvements but I read that there are coming fixes in version 5 for ranger (backstab multiplier).

If I install this mod in the last version available and I start a game, then I install the future version 5 of the mod, I will have to start the game again to apply new fixes or they will be applied on the current game save?

Thank you

I know that you are not particularly supporting the feats component anymore as you favour the scales and balance implementation but I'm planning to use the feats alongside the proficiencies from skills and abilities.

I thought you should be aware that this does not install in the current alpha version as it requires extra_proficiency_dialog.tpa (or something similar, I'm on my phone so can't check exactly right now) which was removed a few versions ago.