Dispel/Remove topic (continued from SCS forum)

kreso

This is *finally* done now. I tought I was done yesterday, but I had some really big issues with Breach not working as it should etc. All fixed now :)

Demi, code is seperated into different .tph files (Dispel Screen, Haste&Slow, Insects, Refinements), I'll upload them and send you the link.

Anyhow; few more things need to be settled, just to make sure we're all on the same page here.

With the code now, Dispelling Screen protects against one instance of Breach or Dispel Magic or any kind of dispelling effect (example Dispelling arrows, Carsomyr, Anti-magic ray and similar).

Pierce Shield now destroys Dispelling Screen *unless* you're protected by Spell Shield.

Spellstrike now destroys Dispelling Screen *unless* you're protected by Spell Shield.

Breach now ignores Spell Shield. Spell Shield now strictly protects against magic attacks.

Making PS/Spellstrike ignore Dispel Screen is easy but I'd rather keep these two spells pretty powerful, otoh tweaking Breach to destroy both Spell Shield & Dispelling Screen is a bit more complicated but I'd like to see Spell Shield as something that keeps your Spell Protections online, not Combat/Specific ones. SCS will not waste Breach vs Spell Shield anyhow.

Also, keep in mind that Dispelling Screen is destroyed even if dispel check isn't.

Is this ok? Demi, your call, in any case....

Looks fine man. You know I will never fully like DS, but maybe it will alleviate player's hate toward Dispel and give SCS its damn SI:Abj. :( Don't get me wrong you did a wonderful job, and I agree with what you wrote me via PM, I was just hoping to fully remove SI without having to introduce another non-PnP spell. That being said, almost the entire "spell protection vs removals" system never existed outside BG (I can hear Jarno's evil laugh already), thus it may be just me having problem with it.

With the code now, Dispelling Screen protects against one instance of Breach or Dispel Magic or any kind of dispelling effect (example Dispelling arrows, Carsomyr, Anti-magic ray and similar).

Erhm, why one ? It would be too hard to code two, or say dozen ? Yeah, I actually really hate the Dispel/Remove Magic spell... but that's a subject of it's own. There's no need to go to it.

Anyways...

So where's my table ? :p Yes, I know I sound monotonous. :jump:

It would be too hard to code two, or say dozen ?

Yes.

Too bad we cant cap the dispel % chance

Actually there's a way to do that. Use 2 effects, one with 50% chance to be casted and the other the same via the probability factor(1-50 & 51-100), and make the one have no effect while the other removes every spell out there, unless it's predefined to be protected. Done.

Great stuff kreso, thank you so much for putting the time and effort for this :)

Indeed great stuff! Thanks!

Thanks both - I'm also very pleased with the way this works now. :beer:

I'd love to find the time to actually *play* the damn game.....

There is but one issue - the installer prints a bunch of warnings now. Not much I can do about it, but next Weidu will apperantly fix it. They're perfectly harmless in any case, just don't look to good. :undecided:

I'm playtesting all this in No-Reload challenge. It works pretty darn awesome :cool: . Beholders are much less cheesy but still dangerous, mages are far more vulnerable and require more than DS to protect themselves, while fighters can somewhat hold their own in combat while being buffed. AI works perfectly with it- both Dispel and Breach are used vs Dispel Screen on a regular basis, which makes the spell rather useful while keeping gameplay very dynamic, rather than a "I shall not be a valid target so I'm safe from everything" gameplay. Revolution, not evolution, I say. :)

Also, the spell is *very* weak against Demons which use Dispel at will, sequencered Dispel Magics (only first one is absorbed) and similar.

@Demi

- there's a bug (not a bug per se, but an oversight) in Haste_Slow code, I forgot to regexp all spells to patch slow secondary type on them. This means that for example Golem Slow will dispel your Haste, BUT you won't be able to dispel Golem Slow with your Haste. I'll send you updated files in few days.

Archived