Got it running on Nexus 7

tormentor

Edit: I've now got graphics and touch controls after hardcoding Width, Height and BPP. As far as I can see, the game runs correctly and the touch controls are a lot better than in 0.8.0. Giving orders while the game is paused is so much more doable now. Great work gemrb developers.

I tried simply copying the libopenal.so from the 0.8.0.apk into the git one (apks are zip files) in order to circumvent the sound problem, but that did not make a difference, which surprised me. Does this mean the culprit is in the GemRB code instead?

The configuration not loading, and the OpenAL crash are the two big issues with current git on Android, then. Like I said, I'll try to debug the config thing sometime.

im not sure how the OpenAL code changed between 0.8 and 0.8.3, but i cant imagine it was substantial. the log tells me the last big change to the OpenAL driver was back in Feb 2013 when I added audio queuing...

do you have a backtrace for the OpenAL crash?

Found the backtrace on the last page and it crashes after entering alcOpenDevice which has been there since 08. maybe it has something to do with running in another thread? or your openal.so is not compiled for your NDK version maybe? where did you get it from?

/*

// Now try ~/.gemrb folder

CopyHomePath(datadir, _MAX_PATH);

char confpath[_MAX_PATH] = ".";

strcat(confpath, name);

PathJoin(datadir, datadir, confpath, NULL);

PathJoinExt( path, datadir, name, "cfg" );

ATTEMPT_INIT;

*/

This bit in InterfaceConfig.cpp causes the config read problem.

When commenting this out, the android build reads the config from the net.sourceforge.gemrb path. So this bit of commenting saves all the hardcoding. I'll leave it to you guys to figure this out, since my goal is only to build a working android version.

@SyntaxError, I'm not sure about the OpenAL thing. I know little about it. If no OpenAL related code changed between then and now, I'm at a bit of a loss.

http://repo.or.cz/w/openal-soft.git/shortlog

It's pretty current, it seems? Maybe the trick is to check out the revision from April 28, 2013, which is when 0.8.0 for android was built. But copying over the 0.8.0 libopenal should have had the same effect, no? :-s

I'll log for your path then.

btw this might also work

https://github.com/Jawbone/OpenAL-MOB/blob/master/README.md#add-the-library-to-your-project

Edit: Oh I see, the android stuff on the .cz git is old, yeah. Then I'm even more surprised that the same openal makes sound work in 0.8.0 but not in git. o_O

I failed to build the pelya project, the file structure is opaque to me and his instructions are rubbish.

I #included the android.h in android.c like it's done in the pelya version, but still no openal.

I guess I can't fix the openal issue.

hmpf, useless history. Maybe just build pelya's version and try using that if it's not too much of a hassle. I'm working on sdlmixer2 support in the meanwhile.

Cool. Does this mean you are going to add the functionality missing from the current SDL audio driver (eg audio queuing)? If so it might end up being a better driver :) Android is hardly the only platform that has struggled with the OpenAL driver; the patch to get it to work on Mac/iOS was pretty big IIRC.

Archived