Made Some Spells, Could Use Some Advice

Desregaurd

I recently made some summoning spells with Near Infinite tool for Baldur's Gate 2 and added the things that would come with them such as store locations for the scrolls, customs icons, scripts for the summons, etc.

The main thing I'd like advice on is the best way I should go about transferring these files to another Baldur's Gate 2 install, since it seems that the main problem would be the string references from Dialog.tlk aren't good for the simple copy and paste method. While I could simply copy the relevant files into the override folder and add the strings to Dialog.tlk and their references manually I feel that there is a better method to go about this process.

With weidu.exe renamed as a setup-*yourmodname*.exe, and a mod folder called "yourmodname" and a plain .txt file renamed as a setup-*yourmodname*.tp2 with something like this:

BACKUP ~yourmodname/backup~
AUTHOR ~Desregaurd~

BEGIN ~Description of the mod~

COPY ~yourmodname/myitem.itm~ ~override/myitem.itm~ //for items, just fill in the planks, and this goes well with .spl's if you just replace the .itm with the .spl ... 
  SAY NAME1 ~~                                      //unidentified name
  SAY NAME2 ~~                                      //identified name
  SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~~                          //well the name already says, the unidentified description
  SAY DESC ~~                                       //identified description

And you can use that to every one of the files you have, with another COPY command of a different item.itm etc file. It's very easy. The double // will quote the rest of the line out, so people can write to those line...

To get the latest version of weidu.exe, go here and use the download link for the "Windows Binary", .zip archive and extract just the weidu.exe from the archive to a folder that holds the above and do the renaming. And you are on your merry way to proper mod release.

The .cre's just take the NAME1 and NAME2 ...

The other files, someone else will explain, or just read a weidu tutorial for them. And for really advanced things, you can try to read the whole weidu readme and try to pertain a fraction of it.

Thanks for the fast reply. I have weidu, I just never got around to using it as much as I could have. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

It certainly seems convenient to put it into a mod format now that I look at it for ease of use and potential for it working in multiplayer setups. It's mostly just necromancy spells that I missed having after playing NWN2, namely Create Undead and Create Greater Undead.

You are welcome.

Yeah, I intentionally made the above post as easily approachable as I could, hopefully I succeeded, there's a lots more the weidu.exe can do for your .spl etc files, but I can't tell you all of it within a 1000 page book, and so I wouldn't be the one to write it. But the other tools can do a lot of it too, as you have already seen, I am sure.

Also, the install will write a setup-*yourmodname*.debug file into the game directory when you install the mod and from that you can take guesses or ask us to help with it when you provide the .tp2 code, or the whole archive. In the somewhat likely case I failed.

You'll need an installer to use your own mod content in case of a new install (of your game), too, so using weidu is the best choice, indeed. (And, weidu is the best tool for mod added content, anyway. I won't even start about possibilities for compatibility, etc. But I think with / due to weidu the IE mod scene is the only one with the possibility to install two mods from completely different ressources without knowing beforehand that they will not be compatible.)

And, weidu is the best tool for mod added content, anyway. I won't even start about possibilities for compatibility, etc. But I think with / due to weidu the IE mod scene is the only one with the possibility to install two mods from completely different ressources without knowing beforehand that they will not be compatible.

There are other externalized moding tools for other games that allow this. Dragon Age, Fallouts (3 & New Vegas), Skyrim, XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within are examples. But only some of their mods use them, while 99% of the BG2's mods use weidu... well at least the up to date ones. Ouh and there's ~500 nearly compatible mods due to the BWS. Yes, you knew that...

You'll need an installer to use your own mod content in case of a new install ...

Well a .rar auto extraction archive which overwrites the dialog.tlk is not a mod installer .. so specifically, no, you don't need a mod installer. But I can see where you are trying to take this, so yeah.

If I'm understanding correctly, the weidu install method doesn't overwrite the dialog.tlk with it's own in a BG2 install so much as modify the one that is already there, while a .rar extraction doesn't really function the same way. Weidu is taking some getting used to, though I have made progress and have tried testing it on a clean install on a different computer without any problems with what I've got so far.

If I'm understanding correctly, the weidu install method doesn't overwrite the dialog.tlk with it's own in a BG2 install so much as modify the one that is already there,

Well, it technically does overwrite the dialog.tlk file, but it does this dynamically -or some such fancy term- so it extends the current one with additional string references you give to it and thus you can add as many strings as you like.

If you COMPILE the script in the .tp2 and there is a string in it e.g. DisplayStringHead(~bla~), the string will automatically be added to the dialogue tlk etc.

I can only advise you to use the WeiDu readme and other mods for examples, I learned a lot this way.

If you COMPILE the script in the .tp2 and there is a string in it e.g. DisplayStringHead(~bla~), the string will automatically be added to the dialogue tlk etc.

I can only advise you to use the WeiDu readme and other mods for examples, I learned a lot this way.

Thanks for the information. I'm getting more used to using weidu while pacing my way through its readme. Mostly I'm just trying to focus on the parts relevant to what I'm attempting to do.

Thanks for the information. I'm getting more used to using weidu while pacing my way through its readme. Mostly I'm just trying to focus on the parts relevant to what I'm attempting to do.

That's the best and really the only way to digest the file. And besides, you sometimes get to read, use that function instead... ;D Also you can use the browsers search to try to find stuff in the file and there's an index at the end, so most stuff is kinda explained. And we are happy to help if we can, so asking shouldn't be a problem.

Archived