A New Approach to this Mod

Ishad Nha

Do any of these kit mods add kits to enemies in the game so that the AI can equally counter the player's further customization?

Well, the only mod that does anything with the kits of the enemies is the SCS, and it does it finely enough to do it's job.... so no.

See it's far more easy to just edit a few scripts and avoid tinkering with the kits at all, as the script is the thing the enemies have that actually changes things, mostly.

Do any of these kit mods add kits to enemies in the game so that the AI can equally counter the player's further customization?

Well, the only mod that does anything with the kits of the enemies is the SCS, and it does it finely enough to do it's job.... so no.

See it's far more easy to just edit a few scripts and avoid tinkering with the kits at all, as the script is the thing the enemies have that actually changes things, mostly.

That sounds insane. Do the kits not give bonuses? Are they not differentiated enough to require different tactics against? How would scripting make up for that?

That sounds insane. Do the kits not give bonuses? Are they not differentiated enough to require different tactics against? How would scripting make up for that?

Well, it's not if you look out for the programming solutions for it, see the kits apply permanent bonuses yes, but also abilities. Same thing can be easily done with a few spells. And if you really wish the "berserker" to berserk, you put a timer in a script and have it take care of the monster doing that... there's no use for it to have 3 of those cause the fight is over before the firsts effects are over. Generally, and that's why it has a timer, so if the player flees, the monster can get restored if the player is out of sight.

The kits are used by the player, and are the player "advantages", it's also a trait, this for that usually at least. But the enemy has Mindflayers. That's a "kit". With rules set in the .cre file.

How many Berserkers are there in the game ? A few ogres. Anyone else ? Are you sure a barbarian or a fighter, a Priest of Tempus won't do ?

How many Swashbucklers ? I haven't run to one. Assassins yes, but they were named characters, Shadows, Vampires etc, not marked by their profession. "There is no Assassins in 2ed AD&D rules." -yeah.

The small rule change doesn't matter that much to the .cre's as it does to the player tactics. As the .cre can't actually choose where and when to attack, it just hangs in a dungeon.

Also it's easier to build a static enemy, and know how many of those to put to a map than built 20 000 monster, know each of how hard the fight with them is going to be and then place each.

Would be fun if there was a "rival adventurer team" in BG1 and BG2 for CHARNAME's party to battle with complex tactics. Maybe they try to capture CHARNAME but flee if reduced to low health, only to return later for another try with better equipment / levels / tactics. Does this exist?

Variation on this idea: Macholy wrote a relationship mod for simulating NPC loyalty to CHARNAME. What if, instead of just leaving permanently, neglected joinable NPCs formed a competing group to randomly ambush CHARNAME's party over the course of the game?

Would be fun if there was a "rival adventurer team" in BG1 and BG2 for CHARNAME's party to battle with complex tactics. Maybe they try to capture CHARNAME but flee if reduced to low health, only to return later for another try with better equipment / levels / tactics. Does this exist?

Not really, but the BG1 has a few groups of assassins that have this under their belt, and SCS makes it better by randomizing the location a bit, aka the assassins "come looking" for you.

Well, I would like to see if Minsc and Dynaheir are party members that Edwin would come to kill the witch with a party, perhaps with Xzar and Montaron, Tiax and Shar-Teel, Kagain in tow. :p And of course Minsc could take Ajantis, Branwen, Alora... if Edwin would be a party member... and of course if you have one of either group, the whole thing is canceled, or come with a few backup configurations.

Would be fun if there was a "rival adventurer team" in BG1 and BG2 for CHARNAME's party to battle with complex tactics. Maybe they try to capture CHARNAME ... Does this exist?

Basically this is the Rogue Rebalancing "Chosen of Cyric Encounter." (That encounter turns the tables, it strips you of any prebuffs and allow the enemies to pre-buff, and they use crazy, punishing, powergaming tactics against you.)

Made some progress! I've managed to build the necessary .d files dynamically based on the contents of kitlist.2da. That was the hard part. Now I just need to set up the innate abilities, invisible creatures, and scripts for each class, and I'll have a beta ready to go!

Then I'll write the class-changing Weidu code for the official release.

EDIT - poop: it's not compiling, because I'm getting the kit name from kitlist.2da, but AddKit() needs the kit name from kit.ids, and for reasons which will forever elude me, those are not the same. I'll need to figure out another step to obtain the IDS name and turn it into a variable for use in the .d patching code.

That came together faster than I thought! Here's a very rough beta.

Some of the strings are stupid, and it's limited to the NPC's current class. I'll clean up the text and eventually add some Weidu options to change some NPCs' class. Consider this a proof-of-concept.

EE-only - it relies on an EE feature of kitlist.2da. If you're playing BGT or TOB, use Level1NPCs instead.

EDIT - see below, I've released the full version of the mod.

Archived