Mod Compatibility List for EET

Did the moderators already contact all the authors of the game mods to be updated to EET?  I assume so, but if not, doing this now is handy to allow them time to respond.

FYI: @Austin already unofficially updated Tenya to EET compatibility.  Link.  Full details in spoiler below.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.59e51a8bec73dab4448a524beae63886.png

Austin also fixed some bugs with Aerie in BG:EE.  Details in the link.

How are we regarding Roxanne's unofficial EET updates?  For example, her Aerie BG1 version is here with EET compatibility.

Thankee!

Edited by Endarire
6 hours ago, Endarire said:

How are we regarding Roxanne's unofficial EET updates?

We try hard to ignore them, so we do not have to think about legal actions to make her take them down.

In the end, noone feels like checking whether it's the original mod with only technical updates. We are biased towards Roxanne's versions that way.

6 hours ago, Endarire said:

Did the moderators already contact all the authors of the game mods to be updated to EET?

Don't be so impatient. K4thos already stated that since there are only under 20 mods left to be taken care for EET compatibility, he would do it himself. But these things takes time. These updates can be easily done or complicated depending on the mod complexity. Besides both K4thos and moderators knows exactly what needs to be done, rushing them won't help, if only the effect will be opposite.

Here is an example : Saradas Magic for BG2.

The reverse compatibility with BG2 games must check if 1PP components are installed or not. If not, the game will crash because the mod is using items weapon appearances that are not included in classic unmodded games. Same issue for other purposes if BG2 Fixpack is not installed... And I can give you hundreds of such features that will crash the game.

This means anytime someone submits an update, as a moderator, I must:

1. Check no unwanted content has been added to the mod without the author's content.
  2. Check every file to see what has been modified and why.
  3. Add new compatibility process that have been forgotten.
  4. Search in SHS forums all reported bugs or malfunctions and try to solve them.

Once it's done, and ONLY once it's done, the mod is officially updated.

Unfortunately, moderators' time is not expendable.

For the record, I have not been able to write a single line of code of my own mod for more than a year...

Edited by Gwendolyne
Guest Guest

Wow I'm surprised EET or modding in general is still going, I figured by now everyone would have lost steam the past few years.

I do have a account here still I think, but I haven't logged in forever, but I came by to check on you guys today due to a recent update I wasn't aware of for all the Enhanced Editions.

I see that Balduran's Sea Tower is the next big thing in terms of original content, and looks like it still being worked on but playable.

I've been kind of nostalgic to replay them all again even though I thought my last playthrough with EET this time would be my final time coming back to the Bhaal Saga, but I swear something about these games just keeps their hooks on you.

and I suppose new mods keeps things interesting too, I hope that Mod Compatibility has improved too; though luckily on my part I did my homework when installing Mods via EET to avoid bugs. It took me like a month to figure out which mods remain kind of buggy and which ones had very little minor bugs.

Btw were the Fire Arrows ever fixed if you tried to install Darkside? I know a lot of people complained how Fire Arrows became the Arrows of Death if you were to install it.

That mod literally doesn't check for anything. It lacks safeguards. I'm not that certain at all about it not causing issues with other mods or in EET itself.

Please, let the actual modders decide when and how their mod becomes EET compatible and how they make that known.

Edited by Graion Dilach

I would suggest to alter the compatibility list and to add a third category "Mods which can be installed after EET_end". At the moment the list is a bit misleading as for example Stratagems must(!) be installed after EET_end and not after the Main Component of EET. If you label the category to mods which can(!) be installed after EET one has maybe to mark Stratagems as a must be after. 

Why put Mods not into the EET installation? Because when you want to add them or change them, you have to "open" the EET installation which is according to my experience not a good thing because you provoke errors when you do this more than 3 times (in one installation I did this more than ten times and nothing happened, but on other occasions I ruined the installation). 

Now the question: can only Stratagems be installed after EET_end? Frankly I don't know for sure, but I guess that most Kit-Mods can be installed after and some Tweak Mods or at least some components of Tweaks can (for example XP adjustments). As far as I understand the EET all mods which alter dialogs, has something to do with NPCs or alter areas must be installed inside EET (or before to be converted). But even if a mod takes into account the new names of the areas it can alter areas and be installed after EET_end. 

Well, this is my point of view based on how I use EET and on my experience ;)

Due to kit mods going before the tweak mods and tweak mods going before SCS and some NPC mods expecting the kit mods being installed prior (Emily for example), I wouldn't install any kit or tweak mod after EET_End. I tend to go with kit->NPC->tweaks ordering in general. That category would be really confusing anyway because it would promote bad installation orders (technically a lot of tweaks can go before kitmods, but then the newer kits get omissioned from the tweaks and causes bugs, like how Sandrah breaks all the proficiency revamp mods).

In fact, I think that after EET_End and SCS, only NPC_EE and Dual_To_Kit should be installed (technically m7multikit could be between SCS and NPC_EE since that assumed nothing and mixed kits based upon their actual state, acknowledging tweaks and whatnot but m7multikit never worked to me properly with the HLA tables, might need an update due to Weidu 247). Maybe my soundmods but I already feel that unclean somewhat. And if I want to "open" the installation, I just rebuild it instead, exactly to prevent errors (which allows me taking the bugfix updates as well). Yes, I know it's unfun but since PI has WeiDU.log importing, it's not really as bad as it sounds, thankfully.

Edited by Graion Dilach