Modders Questions to IWD in EET

Roxanne

I have finished with developping my IWD 1 contents for my continuous NPC based on the guidelines you provided http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27861.

I have her interacting with the main plot, added a couple of small encounters that connect IWD to the Sword Coast events and vice versa, all of it optional (treating IWD1 as an optional mod in EET) Looks good to me.

After many years I have revisited Heart of Winter and Luremaster and decided to ignore those - too uninteresting and remote (of course pure personal taste) Thus, I will add nothing here.

So I am now looking at IWD 2 - I have not seen any EET guidance material yet, so no idea of area id (they have same are names like IWD1 ar1000 etc...) At first glance there seems to be no problem with other resources (Cre, dlg in particular, some itm - quest items normally) I need to take into account. Of course I ignore spells and such under the assumption there is one common set for the whole EET world, Found it in EET worldmap thread

I will therefore create a stand-alone module for Sandrah IWD2EET which later will just be converted to the IWD-in-EET cpmvars - unless you would afvise me otherwise??

PS A silly question - which version of IWD2 is your work based on - I must have a wrong one or it is broken, I cannot even get a basic version of my NPC into IWD2 ?? I remember you mentioned in a post but I cannot find it anymore.

Congratulations. As for the IWD2, until it becomes playable in IWD-in-EET there is no version that you can base the code on unless you speak Polish. Here is the post: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27795&page=3&do=findComment&comment=242833

Just skip it for now.

Thank you, it is almost as I was guessing. Too bad, that part of IWD had the best potential to make sense within the bhaalspawn context, unlike HoW or Luremaster.

On to the next topic of the agenda then.

PS

I have meanwhile developped an idea about HoW and the BG1 plot - there was discussion but not a solution about when/how HoW becomes available. My idea contains the option that Lonelywood is triggered on the worldmap by a quest you receive

Due to the Iron Crisis on the Sword Coast, Duke Eltan seeks alternative resources. He has sent an expedition to the North beyond Lonelywoo to seek for iron. This expedition is missing - he has given the task to the wrong guys, namely the Iron Throne. You meet Hjolder(?) who tells you his version of the story - the southerners invade the land to steal resources from the tribes. In between all is his own possessed tribe chief.The oreseekers are responsible for the assassin as well as the defiling of the Burial Island. The local mayor is in league with them and a traitor to the Ten Towns. You can solve the dilemma in different ways, it will extend the HoW main plot and connect it to the main story.

This on the other hand restricts the opportunity to visit HoW until you get the talk with Eltan (if you go there too late in BG1 story, i.e not do Eltan's quest, the addon will not fire but the old plot remains)

Will this approach be feasible?

Whole IWD:EE has already written interjection content by AWizardDidIt for all the cast of 42 possible vanilla npcs that could be along for the ride, so forcing the quest during BG1 is not an option by default. The intention is to make the content available at any point of the story (including BG2). If you want to contribute a dialogue and normal journal that mentions about such expedition that went far North to seek for iron than it could be perhaps implemented, but not a whole quest with Duke Eltan sending you there during BG1, because that would make the quest unfinishable for those who want to play it during BG2.

Feel free to add such quest in Sandrah if you like though, because as I've mentioned before the mod is meant to be treated as vanilla content, so anyone can rewrite it or add stuff to it as they wish via their mods.

btw. later IWD content such as HoW and TotLM is not really a cake walk, so beating it with BG1 party pre-SoD doesn't sound like a feasible thing even if you beat most of the vanilla IWD1 before (which already gives 1/4 XP for quests by default to make them more in line with BG rewards and some monster XP will be nerfed too). If you install a component to globally reduce the XP gain in whole game (which will be probably recommended when IWD-in-EET is installed, just need to test what would be the ideal value) I don't think you will be able to survive long against harder IWD encounters at that point (especially white dragon which as far as I remember is similar to Firkraag difficulty wise, so a late BG2 enemy). You can travel back and forth to Icewind Dale, so when it becomes too hard the party could always return there later.

Whole IWD:EE has already written interjection content by AWizardDidIt for all the cast of 42 possible vanilla npcs that could be along for the ride, so forcing the quest during BG1 is not an option by default. The intention is to make the content available at any point of the story (including BG2). Feel free to add such quest in Sandrah if you like. If you want to contribute a dialogue and normal journal that mentions about such expedition to the North to seek for iron than it could be perhaps implemented, but not a whole quest with Duke Eltan sending you there during BG1, because that would make the quest unfinishable for those who want to play it during BG2.

Understood. I have already decided on a different approach to it.

I did not explain it well - it is an addition not a replacement. You get the task mentioned and IF you decide to follow it at this time then you get the addon, if you do it later you get the *normal* plot only. It will just add some lines and encounters at several points in the nominal plot but not change anything in the vanilla or the interjections. After the Iron Throne is destroyed, you will not see anything, it is truely optional. And the way I have written it, it is not really started as a quest, but Scar issues some concern about things going on around Lonelywood and that is a hint that you can find something new. There will be no restriction to access and play Heart of Winter whenever you like, just some "window of opportunity" when you get some extra stuff.

blablabla

==Scar~What I told you right now is all I know myself, which is little. Go to Lonelywood and find out what goes on up there.~

END

++ ~I always dreamed of seeing those wild lands. You have me interested.~ + IWDIron2

++ ~If it goes against the Iron Throne, I am all for it. Count on me, Scar.~+ IWDIron2

++ ~Not now, I have enough of my own business to care about.~+ IWDIron2

CHAIN

IF ~~THEN Scar IWDIron2

I gave you the facts and I will mark Lonelywood on your map. I can offer you no richess but the experience you may gain on that mission. Think about it and make your decision well. This is all I ask of you this time.~ DO~ EscapeArea()~EXIT

Otherwise there may never be a chance to connect IWD with the rest of the game.

And, yes, I will also skip my idea to give the IWD2 some connection to the poorly underdevelopped Illasera at ToB start (it would restrict IWD2 to work as the glue between BG2 end and ToB after the heads.)

I understood IWD episodes to be similar to any other quest mod. Most of them have their place at some point in the trilogy - see DSotSC or Northern Tales or Drizzt Saga (a chapter, an event, etc, only very few are really free floating, for some you have to know you are a bhaalspawn or have made some experience etc). This seems not to be the intention with IWD.

Sorry for the confusion.

Can the IWD1 and HoW part in EET be regarded as one mod?

I.e is it sufficient to use in my tp2

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~id1000.are~ THEN BEGIN

install my IWD1+HoW contents >>>perform actions blablabla

END

So just to be sure about a couple of things.

1. IWD will be accessible from Chapter 1 via new quest from new NPC in Ulgoth's Beard to travel via boat?

I'm ok with this. I'd naturally prefer a party to be able to manually walk North all the way to Easthaven, but I understand that there aren't a full suite of areas to populate naturally walking north

2. IWD2 Content will be backported to 2E rules?

3. IWD & IWD2 Maps will be combined into the Mega Baldur's Gate Worldmap with their inconsistent map symbols? Or will the worldmap change while in IWD or IWD2?

This mod is conceptually very exciting. Thanks a lot for developing it. I like having IWD accessible at any point. This means that mod NPCs picked up in IWD areas can also write content for Baldur's Gate areas. So my Erevain mod can have fun with having Erevain rescue his cousin Xan in the Nashkel mines!

There might be a few chronological issues to sort out. I'll need to check dates referenced by NPCs & Items. Overall, I think this integration can make a lot of fun sense!

Two questions

At HoW final battle, when you leave the final battlefield after success this triggers endcredits. What will happen in EET - do you need to walk back until you reach worldmap access?

install my IWD1+HoW contents

END

At HoW final battle, when you leave the final battlefield after success this triggers endcredits. What will happen in EET - do you need to walk back until you reach worldmap access?

Really? That's not my recollection. Maybe if you start an HoW-only game. I play HoW as part of IWDEE and it lets me walk back out of the last dungeon, and then I go down to Dorn's Deep to continue the main game.

Same as in IWD:EE. I don't remember how it works but the game is not finished after killing the dragon so nothing had to be changed there

END

yes

yes. Well, mostly. Hostile creatures will probably still use original IWD2 stats, although thier spells and abilities will be those from BG+IWD.

3. IWD & IWD2 Maps will be combined into the Mega Baldur's Gate Worldmap with their inconsistent map symbols? Or will the worldmap change while in IWD or IWD2?

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27749

Same as in IWD:EE. I don't remember how it works but the game is not finished after killing the dragon so nothing had to be changed there

END

yes

yes. Well, mostly. Hostile creatures will probably still use original IWD2 stats, although thier spells and abilities will be those from BG+IWD.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27749

I was referring to this code:

IF

!Global("HOW_COMPLETED","GLOBAL",0)

Global("AR1006_VISITED","GLOBAL",1)

!Global("BELHIEFET_DEAD","GLOBAL",1)

!Global("DMWW_LEFT_9603","GLOBAL",1)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

ClearAllActions()

StartCutSceneMode()

FadeToColor([15.0],0)

SetGlobal("DMWW_LEFT_9603","GLOBAL",1)

SetGlobal("GAME_OVER","MYAREA",1)

MultiPlayerSync()

StartMovie("HOWDRAG")

Wait(1)

SetWorldmap("worldmap")

SetMasterArea("ar2100")

RevealAreaOnMap("ar2100")

StartCutScene("LUA2109")

END

IF

!Global("HOW_COMPLETED","GLOBAL",0)

OR(2)

!Global("AR1006_VISITED","GLOBAL",1)

Global("BELHIEFET_DEAD","GLOBAL",1)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

ClearAllActions()

StartCutSceneMode()

FadeToColor([15.0],0)

SetGlobal("GAME_OVER","MYAREA",1)

MultiPlayerSync()

StartMovie("HOWDRAG")

Wait(1)

StartMovie("ECREDIT")

SmallWait(5)

FadeFromColor([0.0],0)

EndCutSceneMode()

GoToStartScreen()

END

It means if you kill the dragon and leave the area through the door this will either trigger your return to Kuldahar (if you started your game from there) or trigger the endcredits if you did IWD1 already - this is related to the way you actually start HOW in EET (if you keep Hjollder to transport you through space and time or make Lonelywood accessible via worldmap).

Probably needs to be kept open until the start-of-HOW issue is resolved .

Anyway, I will introduce my own solution for my mod to make it compatible with the EET main story, i.e if you walk through that door (To9603_Special) you will be transported to ID9600 //Sea of Moving Ice from where you can access the worldmap or travel back with the babarian ship.

Thank you for your response.

In IWDEE there are an awful lot of creatures that share the same scriptname (DV).

Example *ghast*

not only all types of ghast have this DV but also individuals like Callard and callards (Callard's son) - both are Svirfneblins not even ghasts. Same for yuanti-champion (cdyucham.cre > DV= ghast).

This is modder's nightmare.

Maybe it is possible to give those a DV=crefilename by the EET import function?

Solved thanks to argent77 (see next post)

IWD:EE makes heavy use of INI files and overridden scripts, dialogs and DV names in area files (look for enabled actor flags bit 3). I know this is a modder's nightmare, but I don't think it's viable to convert it into the BG scheme without an awful amount of work (and the risk of adding tons of bugs or undesired side effects).

IWD:EE makes heavy use of INI files and overridden scripts, dialogs and DV names in area files (look for enabled actor flags bit 3). I know this is a modder's nightmare, but I don't think it's viable to convert it into the BG scheme without an awful amount of work (and the risk of adding tons of bugs or undesired side effects).

Thanks for that hint. I did not look at this possibility, just looked at the cre files in NI.

It is not such a big problem (once you know it) as normally one may start from the are file anyway to find the cre to identify...

For me this is fine,,,so cancel my suggestion.

Archived