DSotSC v3.0 beta bugs

Roxanne

I've just analyzed DSotSC journal entries and most of the time adding additional quest entries seems easy enough. I've menaged to isolate following quests (feel free to propose better titles) based on what I found in D files:

Gillian's Ghastkill baby

Lathander relic

Mace of great importance

Dragon Hunt

Jet'Laya missing sister

Otho's missing nephew

Mines investigation

Battle against the gibberling hordes

Most of them have already obvious starting and finish point, where we could add additional SOLVED_JOURNAL / UNSOLVED_JOURNAL with strings almost exactly the same as they are now. The problematic stuff is "Mines investigation" and "Battle against the gibberling hordes" because it's not obvious where to place finished quest flag without knowing the mod very well. Are those even quests? And what's up with "Mace of great importance" - not sure if this should be really treated as a separate quest since there is something about mayor's son there. Roxanne, can you help with this stuff considering you know this mod very well? Do you think some of the above ones should be merged together? Any DSotSC quests that have not been mentioned above? Any help regarding it would be useful.

Here are all journal entries present in DSotSC:

//cuchoin.tra
@7 = ~We have decided to join up with an elf named CúChoinneach. He seems to think that we may be able to find the Ghastkill baby in a citadel that lies to the south.~

//druid2.tra
@5 = ~The druids have told us that the Iron Throne has a base in the north east of Cloakwood.~

//dsgilian.tra
@25 = ~We have been asked by Gillian Ghastkill to help her find her baby. She found him missing this morning and really has not a clue as to his whereabouts. She told us about the child's nanny, a half-elf from Calimshan. However, she could not tell us much about her. The last she had seen her was last evening when she went home for the evening. We asked Mrs. Ghastkill were the girl lived, but she did not know that either. She is just far too trusting~
@35 = ~We returned the Ghastkill baby to his mother. She was very glad to see him. Clairis was obviously under a spell. It's too bad that no one knows if she had any family.~

//dsjaren.tra
@15 = ~Jarent, a Morninglord of Lathander has asked us to recover a relic that is very important to the temple. He told us that the relic was stolen by a young forest dragon. He also told us that this dragon could be found in the area east of the Nashkell Mine. Finally a chance to face a dragon!~
@21 = ~We returned the relic to Jarent and he told us to seek him out if we ever needed anything from him or the Temple of the Morning Sun. I will have to remember that in the future.~

@26 = ~We went to the Song of the Morning Temple and asked Morninglord Jarent to bless our mace for us. He said he was pleased to do it for us. Somehow now I feel much more confidence in myself and I know we will find the Mayor's son now.~

//dsjeremy.tra
@17 = ~Jeremy, assistant to the Mayor of Nashkell asked us to protect the town from this dragon that has been ravaging the countryside. We agreed to do it and are on our way.~
@23 = ~When we returned to Nashkell, Jeremy was there to greet us. Heh, he is such an odd character. But he seemed nice enough. I wonder if he is related to Noober?~

//dslennan.tra
@5 = ~We had to deliver some bad news to the uncle of Ferium, an elven maid from Cormanthor. His niece had been transformed into a horrible banshee and my party was forced to kill her. It was the best thing to do. Her spirit can now rest in peace. However, I didn't have the heart to tell Lennan the horrible truth, just that she is now in a happier place. We returned the amulet that her lover had given to her. I don't know what the circumstances were in that relationship, but I hope that he is made aware of the broken heart that he had given to Ferium. Lennan seemed very grateful to us and gave us a letter to take to a dwarven smithy by the name of Otho that was visiting the Thunderhammer Smithy. He told us that this long time friend of his would create for us a weapon that would be of great importance to us in the future. What he meant by that I don't know, but I'm sure I will find out.~
@7 = ~Well we told Lennan that his niece was dead. He didn't seem to take it well...but, I guess that's understandable. Anyway, he gave us a letter to take to a dwarven smithy by the name of Otho that was visiting the Thunderhammer Smithy. He told us that this long time friend of his would create for us a weapon that would be of great importance to us in the future. What did he mean by that? I wish people would just come out and say what they mean instead of speaking so mystical all the time....shesh.~

//dsnorby.tra
@2 = ~A strange fellow just told us that the dragon that we were just sent to fight by Morninglord Jarent, was in the city of Nashkel. However, Morninglord Jarent told us that it was still some distance from Nashkel. Oh well, perhaps we should go check it out, just to be sure.~

//dsotho.tra
@4 = ~Otho Truehammer is creating a mace for us. He hinted that there was a lot of mystery about the reasons for making it. I don't really understand what all this is about. But I suppose time will tell.~
@6 = ~We went a picked up the mace that Otho crafted for us. I have to say it is one of the finest weapons I think I have ever seen. I'm sure it will be very useful.~

@24 = ~We agreed to help Otho, the dwarven smithy who made our fine mace. It seems that his nephew has been missing for a few days and he wants us to find him. He said that he was last seen south of Beregost at the mountain pass just before Nashkell. The orcs that attacked the group are camped in the area.~
@30 = ~We had to be the bearer of bad news to Otho. His nephew, Tearlac, died when his group was jumped a few days ago by a group of orcs. He seemed to handled the news well, but I could tell that the old dwarf was very sad to know that his nephew was gone. At least he has the knowledge that his nephew died fighting bravely. On a different note, it appears that the orc encampment was really a guard post set up at the entrance of a mining complex that was being operated by an army of duergar and in charge of the whole operation was Bregan D'aerthe, a mercenary group of drow elves. The drow that was calling the shots was named Shar Nadal and he referred to someone by the name of, Jarlaxle. I don't know who this Jarlaxle is and I bet he's not someone I would like to meet anytime soon. It seems that the Bregan D'aerthe had a hand in creating that strange liquid that was used to poison the iron of the Sword Coast and somehow have connections to the Iron Throne. This is a very serious matter indeed if the drow are involved.~

//ferthg.tra
@16 = ~We have decided to help a dwarf by the name of Ferthgil investigate these mines and warrens that lie beneath the Sword Coast. It is indeed very strange why this place is here and who or what is behind it.~

//jetla.tra
@11 = ~We have decided to help a young elven cleric by the name of Jet'Laya find her missing sister. She has told us that she thinks her sister is in the wooded area east of Peldvale. She said that her uncle would be waiting at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost and should return there as soon as we have found Ferium.~

//setup.tra
@2304 = ~The Dark Side of the Sword Coast

As if the problems that plague the Sword Coast did not seem troubling enough already, you begin to wonder if there is in fact more taking place here than what would at first appear. A feeling of horror and anxiety surges through your body and it is then that you begin to feel that darker forces are at work in this small part of Faerűn you call home. Yet, at this time you do not have a full understanding of just how dark those forces are. Your chance meeting with the elf Jet'laya, from Cormanthor... just maybe, was not by chance at all. The possibility is that you were guided to this point somehow. But, for what reason and why you? Who or what has selected you to face such darkness? A darkness that somehow seems centered on the very lifeline between Baldur's Gate and Amn, the main artery that pulses with the lifeblood of the Sword Coast, the Coast Way Road. You, who up until recently had spent most of your years within the safety and quiet confines of the walls of Candlekeep, now seem to have been thrust into
the darkness of a great unknown. What lies ahead for you and your companions as you continue your journey? You fear that your answer will only come too soon as you descend into the "Dark Side of the Sword Coast."~

//ds#laurel.tra
@2 = ~At the invitation of a paladin by the name of Laurel, I am to assist in this region's ongoing battle against the gibberling hordes.~
@4 = ~At the invitation of a paladin by the name of Laurel, I am to assist in this region's ongoing battle against the gibberling hordes. At her suggestion, I will prepare as much fire magic as possible, as it is said the beasts fear flames above all else.~

//elmin3.tra
@5 = ~Well once again I met that eccentric but helpful old sage! He placed an enchantment on the mace that Otho made for us. This mace seems to very important. Elminster suggested that I have someone bless it as well. But who do I know that could do this? Hmm, perhaps the Morninglord that wanted his relic returned from the dragon could help?~
@7 = ~Well once again that weird old man came around pestering me. He says that he is not trying to influence me or interfere with my chosen path and yet he placed an enchantment on the mace that Otho made for us. He told me that it was necessary because of the great evil that I was about to face. I don't need his help or anyone else's. Whatever this great evil is I'm sure that I can take care of myself. Elminster suggested that I have someone bless it as well. Who do I know that could do that? Hmm, maybe that old man from the Temple east of Beregost that wanted his relic returned from the dragon would do it?~

I've just analyzed DSotSC journal entries and most of the time adding additional quest entries seems easy enough. I've menaged to isolate following quests (feel free to propose better titles) based on what I found in D files:

Gillian's Ghastkill baby

Lathander relic

Mace of great importance

Dragon hunt

Jet'Laya missing sister

Otho's missing nephew

Mines investigation

Battle against the gibberling hordes

Most of them have already obvious starting and finish point, where we could add additional SOLVED_JOURNAL / UNSOLVED_JOURNAL with strings almost exactly the same as they are now. The problematic stuff is "Mines investigation" and "Battle against the gibberling hordes" because it's not obvious where to place finished quest flag without knowing the mod very well. Are those even quests? And what's up with "Mace of great importance" - not sure if this should be really treated as a separate quest since there is something about mayor's son there. Roxanne, can you help with this stuff considering you know this mod very well? Do you think some of the above ones should be merged together? Any DSotSC quests that have not been mentioned above? Any help regarding it would be useful.

Here are all journal entries present in DSotSC:

//cuchoin.tra

@7 = ~We have decided to join up with an elf named CúChoinneach. He seems to think that we may be able to find the Ghastkill baby in a citadel that lies to the south.~

//druid2.tra

@5 = ~The druids have told us that the Iron Throne has a base in the north east of Cloakwood.~

//dsgilian.tra

@25 = ~We have been asked by Gillian Ghastkill to help her find her baby. She found him missing this morning and really has not a clue as to his whereabouts. She told us about the child's nanny, a half-elf from Calimshan. However, she could not tell us much about her. The last she had seen her was last evening when she went home for the evening. We asked Mrs. Ghastkill were the girl lived, but she did not know that either. She is just far too trusting~

@35 = ~We returned the Ghastkill baby to his mother. She was very glad to see him. Clairis was obviously under a spell. It's too bad that no one knows if she had any family.~

//dsjaren.tra

@15 = ~Jarent, a Morninglord of Lathander has asked us to recover a relic that is very important to the temple. He told us that the relic was stolen by a young forest dragon. He also told us that this dragon could be found in the area east of the Nashkell Mine. Finally a chance to face a dragon!~

@21 = ~We returned the relic to Jarent and he told us to seek him out if we ever needed anything from him or the Temple of the Morning Sun. I will have to remember that in the future.~

@26 = ~We went to the Song of the Morning Temple and asked Morninglord Jarent to bless our mace for us. He said he was pleased to do it for us. Somehow now I feel much more confidence in myself and I know we will find the Mayor's son now.~

//dsjeremy.tra

@17 = ~Jeremy, assistant to the Mayor of Nashkell asked us to protect the town from this dragon that has been ravaging the countryside. We agreed to do it and are on our way.~

@23 = ~When we returned to Nashkell, Jeremy was there to greet us. Heh, he is such an odd character. But he seemed nice enough. I wonder if he is related to Noober?~

//dslennan.tra

@5 = ~We had to deliver some bad news to the uncle of Ferium, an elven maid from Cormanthor. His niece had been transformed into a horrible banshee and my party was forced to kill her. It was the best thing to do. Her spirit can now rest in peace. However, I didn't have the heart to tell Lennan the horrible truth, just that she is now in a happier place. We returned the amulet that her lover had given to her. I don't know what the circumstances were in that relationship, but I hope that he is made aware of the broken heart that he had given to Ferium. Lennan seemed very grateful to us and gave us a letter to take to a dwarven smithy by the name of Otho that was visiting the Thunderhammer Smithy. He told us that this long time friend of his would create for us a weapon that would be of great importance to us in the future. What he meant by that I don't know, but I'm sure I will find out.~

@7 = ~Well we told Lennan that his niece was dead. He didn't seem to take it well...but, I guess that's understandable. Anyway, he gave us a letter to take to a dwarven smithy by the name of Otho that was visiting the Thunderhammer Smithy. He told us that this long time friend of his would create for us a weapon that would be of great importance to us in the future. What did he mean by that? I wish people would just come out and say what they mean instead of speaking so mystical all the time....shesh.~

//dsnorby.tra

@2 = ~A strange fellow just told us that the dragon that we were just sent to fight by Morninglord Jarent, was in the city of Nashkel. However, Morninglord Jarent told us that it was still some distance from Nashkel. Oh well, perhaps we should go check it out, just to be sure.~

//dsotho.tra

@4 = ~Otho Truehammer is creating a mace for us. He hinted that there was a lot of mystery about the reasons for making it. I don't really understand what all this is about. But I suppose time will tell.~

@6 = ~We went a picked up the mace that Otho crafted for us. I have to say it is one of the finest weapons I think I have ever seen. I'm sure it will be very useful.~

@24 = ~We agreed to help Otho, the dwarven smithy who made our fine mace. It seems that his nephew has been missing for a few days and he wants us to find him. He said that he was last seen south of Beregost at the mountain pass just before Nashkell. The orcs that attacked the group are camped in the area.~

@30 = ~We had to be the bearer of bad news to Otho. His nephew, Tearlac, died when his group was jumped a few days ago by a group of orcs. He seemed to handled the news well, but I could tell that the old dwarf was very sad to know that his nephew was gone. At least he has the knowledge that his nephew died fighting bravely. On a different note, it appears that the orc encampment was really a guard post set up at the entrance of a mining complex that was being operated by an army of duergar and in charge of the whole operation was Bregan D'aerthe, a mercenary group of drow elves. The drow that was calling the shots was named Shar Nadal and he referred to someone by the name of, Jarlaxle. I don't know who this Jarlaxle is and I bet he's not someone I would like to meet anytime soon. It seems that the Bregan D'aerthe had a hand in creating that strange liquid that was used to poison the iron of the Sword Coast and somehow have connections to the Iron Throne. This is a very serious matter indeed if the drow are involved.~

//ferthg.tra

@16 = ~We have decided to help a dwarf by the name of Ferthgil investigate these mines and warrens that lie beneath the Sword Coast. It is indeed very strange why this place is here and who or what is behind it.~

//jetla.tra

@11 = ~We have decided to help a young elven cleric by the name of Jet'Laya find her missing sister. She has told us that she thinks her sister is in the wooded area east of Peldvale. She said that her uncle would be waiting at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost and should return there as soon as we have found Ferium.~

//setup.tra

@2304 = ~The Dark Side of the Sword Coast

As if the problems that plague the Sword Coast did not seem troubling enough already, you begin to wonder if there is in fact more taking place here than what would at first appear. A feeling of horror and anxiety surges through your body and it is then that you begin to feel that darker forces are at work in this small part of Faerűn you call home. Yet, at this time you do not have a full understanding of just how dark those forces are. Your chance meeting with the elf Jet'laya, from Cormanthor... just maybe, was not by chance at all. The possibility is that you were guided to this point somehow. But, for what reason and why you? Who or what has selected you to face such darkness? A darkness that somehow seems centered on the very lifeline between Baldur's Gate and Amn, the main artery that pulses with the lifeblood of the Sword Coast, the Coast Way Road. You, who up until recently had spent most of your years within the safety and quiet confines of the walls of Candlekeep, now seem to have been thrust into

the darkness of a great unknown. What lies ahead for you and your companions as you continue your journey? You fear that your answer will only come too soon as you descend into the "Dark Side of the Sword Coast."~

//ds#laurel.tra

@2 = ~At the invitation of a paladin by the name of Laurel, I am to assist in this region's ongoing battle against the gibberling hordes.~

@4 = ~At the invitation of a paladin by the name of Laurel, I am to assist in this region's ongoing battle against the gibberling hordes. At her suggestion, I will prepare as much fire magic as possible, as it is said the beasts fear flames above all else.~

//elmin3.tra

@5 = ~Well once again I met that eccentric but helpful old sage! He placed an enchantment on the mace that Otho made for us. This mace seems to very important. Elminster suggested that I have someone bless it as well. But who do I know that could do this? Hmm, perhaps the Morninglord that wanted his relic returned from the dragon could help?~

@7 = ~Well once again that weird old man came around pestering me. He says that he is not trying to influence me or interfere with my chosen path and yet he placed an enchantment on the mace that Otho made for us. He told me that it was necessary because of the great evil that I was about to face. I don't need his help or anyone else's. Whatever this great evil is I'm sure that I can take care of myself. Elminster suggested that I have someone bless it as well. Who do I know that could do that? Hmm, maybe that old man from the Temple east of Beregost that wanted his relic returned from the dragon would do it?~

This is already pretty well organised - also, the titles are appropriate

I suggest to put Otho's missing nephew and Mines investigation as one quest with the first one as the headline.

Same for Lathander relic and Dragon hunt - Dragon hunt could be the headline

Mace of great importance this is not really a quest, it is some glue to get you moving to some locations, the mace itself may help against the vampires, the *great importance* is never really revealed.

Battle against the gibberling hordes this is just a single fight, so not really a quest.

So in summary there are

1) Jet'Laya's missing sister

2) Dragon hunt (Lathander relic)

3) Gillian Ghastkill's baby

4) Otho's missing nephew (Mines investigation)

And some *normal* journal entries for

- Mace of great importance

- Battle against the gibberling hordes

Found a little installation bug, if the original voices are selected... The installation fails during this moving process:

ACTION_BASH_FOR ~DSotSC/base/ogg~ ~^.*$~ BEGIN
		MOVE ~override/%BASH_FOR_RES%.wav~ ~DSotSC/biff~
	END
	ACTION_BASH_FOR ~%ogg_dir%~ ~^.*$~ BEGIN
		MOVE ~override/%BASH_FOR_RES%.wav~ ~DSotSC/biff~
	END

The erroneous file is dsotsc.ogg which is present in the base/ogg and the language/english/ogg_original folder... ;) (Moving both to the same location stops the installation... ;))

NTotSC and Bonehill use SOLVED_JOURNAL / UNSOLVED_JOURNAL, so no problem there. They just need ADD_JOURNAL weidu command to be used with those strings in EE engine. DSotSC is the only mod I'm aware of that has never been updated to support quest journal entries.

I've just checked NTotSC and BGT version indeed uses SOLVED_JOURNAL / UNSOLVED_JOURNAL but doesn't delete old journal entries after quest is completed. What the hell, the mod has like 266950 downloads on SHS. Why no one bothered to report this stuff? The way this is coded all quest journal entries stays in unsolved page even after finishing the quest and receiving completed entry. And it's not something EE related but a problem that was always there in BGT version. Looks like people simply don't care about the journal :undecided:

NTotSC and Bonehill use SOLVED_JOURNAL / UNSOLVED_JOURNAL, so no problem there. They just need ADD_JOURNAL weidu command to be used with those strings in EE engine. DSotSC is the only mod I'm aware of that has never been updated to support quest journal entries.

I've just checked NTotSC and BGT version indeed uses SOLVED_JOURNAL / UNSOLVED_JOURNAL but doesn't delete old journal entries after quest is completed. What the hell, the mod has like 266950 downloads on SHS. Why no one bothered to report this stuff? The way this is coded all quest journal entries stays in unsolved page even after finishing the quest and receiving completed entry. And it's not something EE related but a problem that was always there in BGT version. Looks like people simply don't care about the journal :undecided:

In BGT you had an option to remove such quests (or quests you received but did not want to do) from your journal. Also add things you wanted to remind yourself of.

Thanks, quest journals have been implemented. There are 2 quests that don't have any journal text available:

- The Dark One

- Jules' lost necklace

If someone would be interested in writing them than I will add them too.

This might help. In the Tutu version the dark one quest was journaled by the phantom with two additional lines.

@27 = ~A Phantom has asked for our help. A powerful Lich called the Dark One has trapped their souls in six magically sealed vials. Only by killing the Dark One can we free them of their torture.~

@28 = ~We freed the Phantoms of their torture. The Dark One is dead at last.~

And for Jules her tra is like this

@0 = ~Can you please help me? I seemed to have lost my antique pearl necklace. I just came up from Nashkel to visit the temple and I must have dropped it on the road somewhere along the way!~

@1 = ~Oh, thank you so much, you are a dear!~

@2 = ~A women named Jules has asked us to retrieve her antique pearl necklace from the road between Beregost and Nashkel.~

@3 = ~We managed to find Jules lost pearl necklace. She was lucky to get it back with all the bandits about.~

I moved Jules outside the Beregost temple so you meet her after the mace is blessed. This stops the player from meeting Cuch and attempting the baby quest before they get the Mace. This was an old problem from years ago.

Thanks, Could you please upload tutu version of DSotSC here? Maybe there are some more changes there? I still need journal entries for 1 more quest with delivering a letter to housband in Beregost (one of the worst fetch quest I've ever seen). Here is temporary text I wrote for it, and I'm not exactly happy with the result:

@ = ~Messengers

A woman accost us asking to deliver a letter to her husband, who apparently can be found at the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost. Did she confused us with a messenger service? That would explain why she run off without even hearing if we have time or motivation to help her. What's this husband's name again? Did she even mention it? Awkward situation...~

@ = ~Messengers

We delivered a letter to Katerin's husband at the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost. At least he rewarded us some gold for the trouble.~

English is not my first language, so feel free to proof read it or write something better.

The end list of DSotSC quest titles:

- Gillian's Ghastkill baby

- Dragon hunt

- Otho's mace

- Jet'Laya's missing sister

- Otho's missing nephew

- Jules' lost necklace

- The Dark One

- Messengers

I moved Jules outside the Beregost temple so you meet her after the mace is blessed. This stops the player from meeting Cuch and attempting the baby quest before they get the Mace. This was an old problem from years ago.

Are you referring to "Somehow now I feel much more confidence in myself and I know we will find the Mayor's son now."? If yes than your solution doesn't fix this problem because you can still ignore going into Gillian to get the information that her son is lost but return to Beregost and fully upgrade the mace receiving that last journal which still won't make any sense. I was thinking about adding additional filtering to script that spawns CuChoinneach to delay the spawn until the mace quest is finished, but it still doesn't fix the above mentioned problem. Additional filtering would be needed for Elminster spawn to do it only after talking to Gillian. Instead of making it even more linear how about just removing "and I know we will find the Mayor's son now" from the journal entry? Instead the journal could look like this:

Otho's mace

We went to the Song of the Morning Temple and asked Morninglord Jarent to bless Otho's mace for us. He said he was pleased to do so. The true power of the weapon has been unleashed by the blessing of Lathander.

Thanks, Could you please upload tutu version of DSotSC here? Maybe there are some more changes there? I still need journal entries for 1 more quest with delivering a letter to housband in Beregost (one of the worst fetch quest I've ever seen). Here is temporary text I wrote for it, and I'm not exactly happy with the result:

@ = ~Messengers

A woman accost us asking to deliver a letter to her husband, who apparently can be found at the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost. Did she confused us with a messenger service? That would explain why she run off without even hearing if we have time or motivation to help her. What's this husband's name again? Did she even mention it? Awkward situation...~

@ = ~Messengers

We delivered a letter to Katerin's husband at the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost. At least he rewarded us some gold for the trouble.~

English is not my first language, so feel free to proof read it or write something better.

The end list of DSotSC quest titles:

- Gillian's Ghastkill baby

- Dragon hunt

- Otho's mace

- Jet'Laya's missing sister

- Otho's missing nephew

- Jules' lost necklace

- The Dark One

- Messengers

Are you referring to "Somehow now I feel much more confidence in myself and I know we will find the Mayor's son now."? If yes than your solution doesn't fix this problem because you can still ignore going into Gillian to get the information that her son is lost but return to Beregost and fully upgrade the mace receiving that last journal which still won't make any sense. I was thinking about adding additional filtering to script that spawns CuChoinneach to delay the spawn until the mace quest is finished, but it still doesn't fix the above mentioned problem. Additional filtering would be needed for Elminster spawn to do it only after talking to Gillian. Instead of making it even more linear how about just removing "and I know we will find the Mayor's son now" from the journal entry? Instead the journal could look like this:

Otho's mace

We went to the Song of the Morning Temple and asked Morninglord Jarent to bless Otho's mace for us. He said he was pleased to do so. The true power of the weapon has been unleashed by the blessing of Lathander.

I'd forgotten about the Jarent dialog refering to the Mayor's son. The dialog you have is better. I will need to update it. What to do with Jules though is still a problem. Currently the Jules creature and CúChoinneach will only appear if you have accepted the Gillian quest to rescue the baby and have the mace. I did exactly as you suggested spawning CúChoinneach only if the party has the mace. Originally the Jules quest in Nashkel was used to guide you to where CúChoinneach was. Something I have tried to preserve by placing her outside of the temple to meet you once the mace is blessed. However I do like the idea though of breaking the linear aspect of the mod up a bit but it would leave the Jules quest as a seperate quest with no ties to CúChoinneach. This might be a better way but you will still need to spawn CúChoinneach once the party has spoken to Gillian and has the mace. The Jules quest could then be a simple quest to retrieve the necklace maybe even have it as a low level quest. What do you think?

You can get the TUTU version here. Please be aware its a beta version and these mods over the years have diverged quite a bit.

http://downloads.chosenofmystra.net/bg1/DSotSC106.zip

thanks.

What to do with Jules though is still a problem. Currently the Jules creature and CúChoinneach will only appear if you have accepted the Gillian quest to rescue the baby and have the mace. I did exactly as you suggested spawning CúChoinneach only if the party has the mace. Originally the Jules quest in Nashkel was used to guide you to where CúChoinneach was. Something I have tried to preserve by placing her outside of the temple to meet you once the mace is blessed. However I do like the idea though of breaking the linear aspect of the mod up a bit but it would leave the Jules quest as a seperate quest with no ties to CúChoinneach.

I'm not proposing removing Jules from her role to guide us into Cucho location. What I'm against is tying mace quest with it because it would force the player to travel into Beregost without any good reason. Gillian quest starts in Nashkeel. Jules spawns after we speak with Gillian, so she will be found by player who is looking for clues in Nashkeel. Additional requirements related to mace quest and Beregost seems redundant to me.

thanks.

What to do with Jules though is still a problem. Currently the Jules creature and CúChoinneach will only appear if you have accepted the Gillian quest to rescue the baby and have the mace. I did exactly as you suggested spawning CúChoinneach only if the party has the mace. Originally the Jules quest in Nashkel was used to guide you to where CúChoinneach was. Something I have tried to preserve by placing her outside of the temple to meet you once the mace is blessed. However I do like the idea though of breaking the linear aspect of the mod up a bit but it would leave the Jules quest as a seperate quest with no ties to CúChoinneach.

I'm not proposing removing Jules from her role to guide us into Cucho location. What I'm against is tying mace quest with it because it would force the player to travel into Beregost without any good reason. Gillian quest starts in Nashkeel. Jules spawns after we speak with Gillian, so she will be found by player who is looking for clues in Nashkeel. Additional requirements related to mace quest and Beregost seems redundant to me.

In the original version of the game Castle Daerthmac (where the baby is) which was actually called a Citidel was not supposed to appear until you had the mace blessed. This was in the original walkthrough.

'You remember that after you returned the religious relic to the priest of Morningwhatever, he said if you ever need anything, you can find him at the temple, located just east of the Friendly Arm Inn. Yo'u go there, have him bless the mace, and now you can find the access to the Citadel (the access will not appear until the mace is blessed). You find the access on the east (or was it north) boundary of the map that you fought the dragon.'

The mace was designed for that quest.

thanks.

In the original version of the game Castle Daerthmac (where the baby is) which was actually called a Citidel was not supposed to appear until you had the mace blessed. This was in the original walkthrough.

'You remember that after you returned the religious relic to the priest of Morningwhatever, he said if you ever need anything, you can find him at the temple, located just east of the Friendly Arm Inn. Yo'u go there, have him bless the mace, and now you can find the access to the Citadel (the access will not appear until the mace is blessed). You find the access on the east (or was it north) boundary of the map that you fought the dragon.'

The mace was designed for that quest.

Just from a player's perspective - (I never knew this original sequence, I confess) - the relation between the mace and the vampires never became apparent for me. I had always thought that the mace might help against vampires or similar, but it is not the case. It always appeared as an oddity with no real relation to any of the quests. Knowing the original intention explains some strange dialogues with Otho. But since the mace is not really needed at all, for me neither version makes much sense. The mace appears as an extra quest you may or may not do - just to get the item if you want it.

Archived