Stuttering caused by animation files

Roxanne

Ettins slow down the game

Problem occurs with different creature files of Ettins - Dungettin, Pettin, Ohnettin, (animation problem??)

The game significantly slows down with any of those Ettins, when a second one is spawned it gets even slower...

I checked all the cre files with changelog but the only mod affecting them is EET Tweaks for kill XP reduction, so probably not the issue here.

The game significantly slows down with any of those Ettins, when a second one is spawned it gets even slower...

Did you .bif those animations ?

Hm, there is no mod that tweaks animations and the creatures are from the original game (e.g. Dungettin is the one in Irenicus Dungeon guarding the exit), biffing should not be some issue here. This installation just contains those mods already fully supporting EET.

I've moved your report to the new topic (feel free to adjust topic name btw.) because it's not related to EET. It's one of the many engine problems with the patchfinding introduced in patch 1.3 for BG2:EE that I warned you before you first started playing. This one is related to "personal space" of the CRE animation. If there is obstacle on the way creature with large personal space will cause massive slowdowns. It can be very easily tested for example in Candlekeep with console:

C:CreateCreature("PETTIN")

Hopefully all these oddities will be fixed in the next patch but for now you can place this file in your override to get rid of the slowdowns:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/byzkqr
It is INI file for Ettin animation with changed personal space to lower value (patch 1.3 unhardcoded animations to INI files, but they are not in BG2:EE by default). Thanks to this the creature will have a "personal space" like smaller creatures. Of course it's not really a fix because Ettin should have larger personal space, just a workaround until engine is fixed. If you still have slowdawns (for example CRE is spawned in place with not much area to move) than let me know - I will tweak the INI file further (into human personal space size).

I've moved your report to the new topic (feel free to adjust name btw.) because it's not EET bug. It's one of the many engine problems with the patchfinding implemented in patch 1.3 that I warned you before you first started playing. This one is related to "personal space" of the CRE file. If there is obstacle on the way creature with large personal space will cause massive slowdowns. It can be very easily tested in Candlekeep with console:

C:CreateCreature("PETTIN")

Hopefully all these oddities will be fixed in the next patch but for now you can place this file in your override to get rid of the slowdowns:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/byzkqr

It is INI file for Ettin animation with changed personal space to lower value (patch 1.3 unhardcoded animations to INI files, but they are not in BG2:EE by default). Thanks to this the creature will have a "personal space" like humans and smaller creatures. Of course it's not really a fix because Ettin should have larger personal space, just a workaround until engine is fixed. If you still have slowdawns (for example CRE is spawned in place with not much area to move) than let me know - I will tweak the INI file further.

Thanks for the info. I may have need for your patch later during Drizzt Saga, there are quite a few of those creatures in there, I have also spawned some frost or fire giants to compare, but they seem to have no issue.

PS - before I continue reporting known issue, is there any list or such where I can see the known issues?

PS - before I continue reporting known issue, is there any list or such where I can see the known issues?

BG:EE: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31807/list-of-known-issues-read-this-first/p1

BG2:EE: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/37852/list-of-known-issues-read-this-first

BG2:EE section is also important even if you're currently on BG1 because there are few engine bugs mentioned there that will affect BG:EE content too.

Unfortunately not everything is listed in those 2 topics. For example that problem you reported about BG5400 script that can't be extended bottom was already a know issue, even though the ticket is not listed in the above linked topics. So using search engine on forum is needed too. New patches can't come soon enough ;(

I have also spawned some frost or fire giants to compare, but they seem to have no issue.

There are different types of animations supported by the engine (for example Ettin belongs to the "monster_icewind" group), so maybe this bug affects only some of them.

I have also spawned some frost or fire giants to compare, but they seem to have no issue.

There are different types of animations supported by the engine (for example Ettin belongs to the "monster_icewind" group), so maybe this bug affects only some of them.

I was told that the vanilla BG2 game supports 3 types of creature animations, the BG1 animations, BG2 animations and icewind dale animations, the difference between the first too is that the BG1 animations are not mirrored while the BG2's are, and so the BG2's characters for example switch weapon hands when facing different sides, and the shield is always on the hand facing the player, while that's not true in BG1. The Icewind dales animations are likely smaller nor mirrored.

Now there was efforts to put everything to be made to BG2 format, but I am not sure any of that was done, but you could check the Infinity Animation mods files and find if they are any different than the ones you use. Yeah, that had the trouble of needing to use the 1252 codepage in Windows to extract and compile correctly. And huge 1.5Gb download size... :p

Archived