Modding GUI (background colors, text colors, etc..) of BG2:EE via Near Infinity program

frostysh

Yeah, a lot like modding, as long as it's not for sale somewhere and they're given credit, it's all good.

GUIRECBG.MOS (character record) is ready for 75% . Yay!

Is anybody now how to use graphic tablet with a stylus (I expropriated one from my friend :devlook: ...) . Because I have no idea how to hold the stylus right , this is so lot of inopportune!

GUISTATS.MOS (character statistic - how monsters is killed by ... and so on...) In the charge is. Is anybody have a cool image for a background with a lot of D&D monsters??? For now I think I will use something like that.

BGIIEE_cover_art.jpg

SOS! HELP! MAYDAYMAYDAY!

I am stacked with my own modding stuff. How to change the GUI Text colors in the Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition!???

I have found in the *.CHU files only something like a 'NORMA' , 'STONE...' that is names of a *.FNT files, but WHERE EXACTLY IS THE FONT COLOR OPTION???

Thanx for the answers.

I see ID: NN (Type: Label/Text Area) - and that all . Where is a color options? O_o

Yes I am using 1,36 version of NearInfinity.jar, not old one, because of you.

In the 'Edit' tablet I see something like that :

Panel ID: 1
Unknown: 00 00 h
Position: X: 944
Position: Y: 0
Width: 80
Height: 768
Has background?: Yes (1)
# controls: 6
Background image: GUIWRSP.MOS
First control index: 10
Flags: ( Unknown(3) )
Control 0: Offset: 7ac h,Length: 20 h,Control ID: 0,Buffer length: 0,Position: X: 11,Position: Y: 14,
Control 1: Offset: 7d0 h,Length: 20 h,Control ID: 1,Buffer length: 0,Position: X: 11,Position: Y: 106,
Control 2: Offset: 7f4 h,Length: 20 h,Control ID: 2,Buffer length: 0,Position: X: 11,Position: Y: 198,
Control 3: Offset: 818 h,Length: 20 h,Control ID: 3,Buffer length: 0,Position: X: 11,Position: Y: 290,
Control 4: Offset: 83c h,Length: 20 h,Control ID: 4,Buffer length: 0,Position: X: 11,Position: Y: 382,
Control 5: Offset: 860 h,Length: 20 h,Control ID: 5,Buffer length: 0,Position: X: 11,Position: Y: 474,

No even word 'color' there are ;/ .

As Jarno already mentioned, look into (i.e. open) the respective Label or TextArea controls in the Edit tab.

Yes it is! I need to just double-click it... I was stupid , thanx.

But I not see the text font color, I see only

Color 1 - Red: 0 Green: 0 Blue: 0

Color 2 - Red: 64 Green: 64 Blue: 64

Color 3 - Red: 0 Green: 0 Blue: 0

It is seems to be no a text colors 64/64/64 it is a dark grey but text is white by default. :(

Color 1 - Red: 0 Green: 0 Blue: 0

White.

And -> Color 2 - Red: 64 Green: 64 Blue: 64 <- black/grey what ever.

Try setting it:

Color 1 - Red: 64 Green: 64 Blue: 64

Color 2 - Red: 0 Green: 0 Blue: 0

Color 3 - Red: 128 Green: 64 Blue: 5, it's this color.

But R=0, G=0, B=0 this is not a white this is a black color. . . Whatever.

Your method seems to work well, at least for labels!

Thanx so much again. Now I can continue my mod.

And I just wonder, when I do not need to overwrite a whole file but just do little modification to it (like a change color value) , what I can write in *.tp2 file about that???

But R=0, G=0, B=0 this is not a white this is a black color. . .

Nope. Actually, white or black is set by the grey scale, aka the how deep the color is or whatever, not the colors themselves. The 000 is I think, in Red Green Blue (Gray) scale non translucent.

But R=0, G=0, B=0 this is not a white this is a black color. . .

Nope. Actually, white or black is set by the grey scale, aka the how deep the color is or whatever, not the colors themselves. The 000 is I think, in Red Green Blue (Gray) scale non translucent.
Huuuh! This is where the dog was burrowed! - So it is like RGB-Scale but backward!

So R=0, G=0, B=0 will be WHITE , and R=255, G=255, B=255 will be BLACK ??? Maybe this is just reverse byte reading by Infinity Engine :D

Is there any Wikipedia.org article that I can read about it (Gray scales)???

Not exactly. The color definitions don't involve any special logic. However, RGB(0, 0, 0) appears to be regarded as unused by the engine which results in the default font color (white). Every other color definition should work as expected.

Btw, to see your color changes in Label controls make sure that Text Flags bit 0 (Use Color) is enabled.

Not exactly. The color definitions don't involve any special logic. However, RGB(0, 0, 0) appears to be regarded as unused by the engine which results in the default font color (white). Every other color definition should work as expected.

Btw, to see your color changes in Label controls make sure that Text Flags bit 0 (Use Color) is enabled.

Yeah , I tried it for myself and seems that the colors (I tried blue , and green) except R=0, G=0, B=0, is work like standard RGB stuff. Yeah I used this flag , and other flag - TrueColor, but I do not know what meaning of it :p .

Thanx again to all of ya , I need to continue drawing my stupid mod. :)

I have done almost all background images except Spells in quick panel (that a with stone :) ), and mod's logo. But I NEED HELP AGAIN.

I do no want the mod that overwriting a FULL *.CHU file, I need the mod that doing only small changes in *.CHU files changing a text color.

so, HOW TO modify *.tp2 file to only modify files but not overwrite it???

Thanx for the answers.

It's a bit complicated and probably needs some programming skills since CHU files contain many nested structures. Simply put, you have to parse the CHU structure until you have found the data field you want to modify. You should take a look at the CHU file format to find out how to find specific fields and structures.

For example, the following code changes the color of the Label control GUIINV.CHU -> "Panel 2" -> "Control 51" (party gold in inventory screen)) to magenta:

COPY_EXISTING ~GUIINV.CHU~ ~override~
    READ_LONG 0x0c ofs_ctrl_table                             // offset to controls table
    READ_LONG 0x10 ofs_windows                                // offset to window entries
    READ_SHORT (ofs_windows + 2*0x1c + 0x18) start_index      // get absolute start index of first control from "Panel 2" structure
    SET control_index = start_index + 51                      // the absolute index of "Control 51" in controls table
    READ_LONG (ofs_ctrl_table + 8*control_index) ofs_control  // read offset to "Control 51" structure
    READ_BYTE (ofs_control + 0x0c) type
    PATCH_IF (type = 6) BEGIN                                 // control type = Label?
      SET my_color = 0xff00ff                                 // color: Magenta
      WRITE_LONG (ofs_control + 0x1a) my_color                // write new color into "Color #1" field
    END
    BUT_ONLY

Archived